Question about Spyderco's Taiwan manufacturing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MIL-DOT

Question about Spyderco's Taiwan manufacturing

Post by MIL-DOT »

I was looking at You-tube reviews of the Spyderco Cat, which is made in Taiwan. I noticed in the video that it just said "Taiwan" on the blade,( omitting "Taichung") and wondered if there was any difference. Are all Spyderco's made in Taiwan manufactured at the same place, by the same people ?
( And since you're here, what's the collective impression of the Cat ? Looks like a nicer, but nearly as economical version of the Chinese-made Ambitious.)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope, same factory. Recently i guess they requested to put their city's name on the blade with Taiwan as a symbol of pride, and probably to separate themselves from the other not so great things that have come from Taiwan.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

IIRC, there are two places in Taiwan that make Spyderco knives, with the Taichung factory having specifically asked for the change to differentiate themselves.

edit: found the quote I was thinking of.
D1omedes wrote:Sal, I have a question and it may have already been answered. How many different manufacturers are you using from Taiwan? I know there is the family based in Taichung which have produced excellent pieces. Is that still the only one Spyderco uses in Taiwan? If so, I'm stunned.
sal wrote:We work with 2 small family owned makers.

sal
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ok so now i'm confused, are all future Taiwan knives coming from Taichung or not?
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It's entirely possible that both of them are located in Taichung, but it is still two separate makers.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco uses (at least) two different makers in Taiwan. All are capable of producing quality knives, but the one in Taichung turns out truly excellent work.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So just to clarify, only one of these makers is labeled as Taichung Taiwan, correct?
~David
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The Salsa bears the designation "Taipei Taiwan" so it's possible it was made at a third location in Taiwan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
BWeist

Post by BWeist »

I asked a similar question over on Blade Forums a year or so ago. This was Sal's reply at the time:
you guys sure ask some "interesting" questions.

For years, knives that were made in Japan were simply marked "Japan" to show country of origin. Al Mar was working with a particular maker that was very good (most Seki-City makers are very good). Al and the maker wanted to distinguish themselves from other makers in Japan, so they began to stamp "Seki-City, Japan" or Seki-Japan" on their knives.

Spyderco followed Al Mar's lead and have marked knives made by that maker with the Seki designation.

We have one maker in Taiwan that is exceptional and they wanted to distinguish themselves from the other makers in Taiwan, so they asked if they could use their city, "Taichung" as part of the stamping. We felt that their request was understandable, so they began to add the city to the country of origin.

Hope that helps.

sal
This is the original post:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost8677967
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Thanks guys, so it appears, if I've got this straight, ( from this and other threads) that the most valued Taiwanese-manufactured Spydercos come from Taichung, and that these knives WILL specify that city of origin on the blade?
Not to say that the others aren't good, but that, in Sal's words, "We have one maker in Taiwan that is exceptional...."
'zat sound about right?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I never had an original Cat, but from what I've heard, there were some quality issues with those.

But, have no fear. Whoever is building the current "Taichung Taiwan" knives for Spyderco does outstanding work.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the main flaw with the previous Cat/Chicago was the expense placed on materials which didn't leave as much on the table for finishing. When CF is used on a knife it requires more F&F time due to chipping, scuffs, splintering, etc. G10 seems more homogenous without a lustrous top resin to babysit.

Just guessing though.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MIL-DOT wrote:Thanks guys, so it appears, if I've got this straight, ( from this and other threads) that the most valued Taiwanese-manufactured Spydercos come from Taichung, and that these knives WILL specify that city of origin on the blade?
Not to say that the others aren't good, but that, in Sal's words, "We have one maker in Taiwan that is exceptional...."
'zat sound about right?
Yes, and no. The ones currently made in Taichung say so, and have for some time. However, some of the early examples of the Sage, Chokwe, and perhaps one other model, are simply stamped Taiwan. They were, however, made by the Taichung maker, but prior to the request Sal mentioned to add Taichung to their tang stamp.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Deacon wrote:Yes, and no. The ones currently made in Taichung say so, and have for some time. However, some of the early examples of the Sage, Chokwe, and perhaps one other model, are simply stamped Taiwan. They were, however, made by the Taichung maker, but prior to the request Sal mentioned to add Taichung to their tang stamp.
That's correct. My Sage 1, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley, and Chokwe are just stamped "Taiwan".
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Any expensive knife from Taiwan is amazing. The way Spyderco prices msrp (which often translates to a street price calculation) is based on their own expense. Combine this with a slightly lower Taiwan wage and a $90-130 knife from there is an unbelievable tool.

Similar, the Tenacious is kinda expensive for an average knife from China so the value is off the charts. The Manix2 and Para2 work with a modified msrp index which means you actually get a better deal. This is all paraphrased and interpreted so please dont assume I'm quoting directly.

Often you get what you pay for. Not always but with Spyderco it's a bankable principle.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Blerv wrote:Any expensive knife from Taiwan is amazing. The way Spyderco prices msrp (which often translates to a street price calculation) is based on their own expense. Combine this with a slightly lower Taiwan wage and a $90-130 knife from there is an unbelievable tool.

Similar, the Tenacious is kinda expensive for an average knife from China so the value is off the charts. The Manix2 and Para2 work with a modified msrp index which means you actually get a better deal. This is all paraphrased and interpreted so please dont assume I'm quoting directly.

Often you get what you pay for. Not always but with Spyderco it's a bankable principle.
I just got a Navaja yesterday and I have to say it is the best work I have seen from Taiwan so far. I have a few of the Sage blades(1 and 3) which are both exceptional as well, but the Navaja is just a new level of cool and high-end.

I find that the blades I get from Taiwan are actually built to the exact same standard as the US made Spyderco blades. They are essentially flawless. Sometimes they even have fewer manufacturing inconsistencies in my experience.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
angusW

Post by angusW »

gbelleh wrote:That's correct. My Sage 1, Sage 2, and Chokwe are just stamped "Taiwan".
My Sage 1 was bought a while ago and also just says Taiwan. Are the newer Sage 1's and Chokwe's still just stamped with Taiwan without the city?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine are all early. I believe they're all being stamped Taichung now, but I could be wrong.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Taichung models are legit if anybody has doubts. My Gayle Bradley is very nice and I am now looking forward to the upcoming szabo folder as a result. Do not hesitate to pick up a taiwan model.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The upshot, as I understand it, is that any model coming out of Taiwan in the last (year?) or so from the maker of the Sage series will bear the Taichung mark.
Anything older than that, they're all marked the same.

As far as quality of work, they all produce good value for the money you spend. ;)
The Taichung maker is, as I understand it, Spyderco's new go-to production facility for complex designs and labor-intensive finishes that they don't have capacity to produce in Golden. (Also, for whatever reason it makes sense to send them CPM steels as opposed to shipping VG-10 or something else, which seems to be just fine for Spyderco and end users alike.)
The other makers in Taiwan are chosen for other projects and other reasons. Likewise, the makers in Japan and Fox cutlery in Italy are doing great work as well, but seem to be targeted for very specific considerations. Off the top of my head: the Squeak is an FRN model, and seems tailor-made for quite a bit of the European market; Moki in Japan has a long tradition and expertise with Spyderco's lockbacks--I believe this is the maker mentioned above that got the ball rolling with Al Mar. These are just examples, the other models from these makers and the details that drive those decisions are, of course, what keeps Sal a busy, busy man. ;)
—Daniel Jackson