Narrowest/"least tall" EDC Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerimas

Narrowest/"least tall" EDC Spyderco?

Post by Zerimas »

I am big Spyderco fan, and after a bit of lurking I have decided to join the forums! I like to carry as much of my gear in my front pockets as I can. However, with my Sprint Run Caly3.5 or my Endura FFG, it can be a little tricky to access my very large phone. My question is: what Spyderco has the smallest dimensions in terms of height when closed (the distance from the spine of the knife blade to the spine of the handle), but also has a blade greater than 3"?

Thanks!
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I also had a very large phone, and found that both the delica and native both fit nicely. Blade length on those is under 3 inches ,but they're great edc knives.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Allen R. wrote:I also had a very large phone, and found that both the delica and native both fit nicely. Blade length on those is under 3 inches ,but they're great edc knives.
Ditto.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Interesting. I wish pants had a dedicated knife pocket. Clothing manufacturers seem to be out of touch with how much stuff people need carry. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to happen any time soon, as from what I understand they are still working on trying to get them to fit the fairer sex. Perhaps Spyderco should go into the pants game? I'd sure like to see some pants with forward-thinking design principles that Spyderco incorporates into their knife design. :D
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

You should try the Chokwe, it has a very slim profile, long blade. It's a great knife!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

khukuri, ukpk/caly 3, delica4, terzoula, kopa, police, chockwe, small persians, shabaria and the rookie...just to name a few :D oh and ladybugs and kiwis but those dont have clips.

Good luck finding one that fits your needs :) theres plenty to choose from.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What you're looking for is a short height blade. The leaf shaped blades and any blade with a lot of belly create a very wide profile when in the pocket. Maybe look into something like the Centofante 3/4, they're about as narrow in this area as i've carried in a Spyderco. The blade hole tends to add some height no matter what the knife is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

I'd go with a Delica.

Or get some 5.11 (Tac-lite model I believe) pants with the dedicated knife pocket.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I think the khurki or however its spelled its the slimmest out there. But it is discontinued and somewhat hard to find.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
guidosst

Post by guidosst »

I've found that the Rookie is about the most compact package going, it never gets in my way. They're out of production, but well worth tracking down.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Maybe a waved Delica or Endura with the wave hook ground off (de-waved).
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
jossta

Post by jossta »

Laguiole ;) .
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The new Des Horn might be a contender. Not sure tho, never held one.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Thanks for all the suggestions: they've given me a great reason to justify to myself the purchase of another knife! Does anyone have any pictures of some of these knives side-by-side.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think you should try the Chaparral.

Also, it sounds like you should observe the difference in the types of clips. There are two types of wire clips. The first example of an example is the super leaf versus the super hawk. They have the same type of clip, but one will occupy an extra quarter inch of your pocket.

Also, take a look at the Michael Walker sprint, the clip holds a half of an inch of the knife on the outside of your pocket. This knife also only has one liner, which makes it a very thin knife. The blade is approximately the size of a delicas, but closed is quite a bit smaller than the delica.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

police? cento memory? idk
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Being narrow isn't one of spyderco's forte unfortunately, your caly 3.5 is already one of the narrower ones.

I just had a manix 2 and another knife of very similar length on my desk, and next to each other the manix is almost 2 cm wider. I don't have one but the JD smith looks to be really narrow.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Blerv wrote:The new Des Horn might be a contender. Not sure tho, never held one.
I was at the SFO yesterday and saw the Des Horn for the 1st time in person. It is in deed an extremely slim package.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Solo S01 in my signature is 0.75" wide at its widest point and only 5/16" thick. Unfortunately, the blade is only 2.5" - and the knife is a bit hard to find. Ebay has had some listed recently. The S02 model is quite a bit longer without adding any width or thickness and has a 3.5" blade.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would suggest the des horn. Just came out and the knife is practically a teardrop when closed. It has a 3inch cuttting edge. Ffg S30V