To the collectors, do you use anything on the blade for storage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Qcrazy

To the collectors, do you use anything on the blade for storage?

Post by Qcrazy »

Hi all, I seem to be amassing a lot of Spydercos and am now sitting here wondering what you real collectors do to protect your knives. I've watched videos on the tuf-cloth, tuf-glide, and WD40, and I thought I'd ask the experts. I have many of the collector pieces (at least to me) that I'd like to keep pristine. I am sure I'll get many different answers though would love input. I hope to keep the value in these knives and don't want anything I do messing that up. Is there any product used that would stop you from buying an older and rare piece. I am lucky to live in Colorado so at least humidity is a very small problem. Thanks for any input.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

All my Spydercos are users, but I've got a couple/few Randals, and others, that I keep as 'collector pieces.' Doc turned me onto Corrosion-X last winter and I've come to swear by the stuff. I even did my own very non-scientific tests with a couple of treated/untreated pieces of O-1 and 1095 in a snow storm with great results. But this is only one of a bunch of suitable 'protectants' that will suit your needs, especially here in Colorado where humidity just isn't much of a factor.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If I won't be using a knife for awhile I use rem oil with the moistureguard rust preventative. Its supposed to displace moisture and protect the blade. Unlike regular rem oil it does leave a moist film on the blade.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I don't. i always have my house nicely climate controlled. I have some vintage blades that aren't oiled and they are good
coonan

Post by coonan »

What I like is pure liquid carnauba wax It is not messy oily or visible . It lasts along time. I use it on blades - firearms or anything I do not destroyed by H2o. Just wipe it on and your good to go. I have not used oil on the outside of my firearms for years.and no rust. You can not say that about gun oil .
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

As do others, I use Tuf Glide on non-stainless steels. I do not treat (Spyderco) stainless.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

All of my knives(cept a Mule for kitchen use) get rub down from a tuf-cloth.

I usually try to wipe them down every month or so... Usually when the weather is poopy out and I have nothing to do.

Although tuf-cloth/tuf-glide is the only product I have used in the past few years I have had no trouble with it.
Come Join Us Click Here
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I usually just use food grade mineral oil. I have used Flitz before but after reading about Tuf-Glide I'm itching to try that.
:spyder:
Dan
HighDesertSpyder

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

[quote="cosmo7809"]All of my knives(cept a Mule for kitchen use) get rub down from a tuf-cloth.

Cosmo,
Who is this "tuf-cloth" character and, is the mule jealous? :eek:

alright, nothing to see here... everyone have a good Monday!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The blades on knifes I have no intention of carrying get wiped down with a Tuf-Cloth.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm using either Renn wax or silicone oil depending on the blade . I do have a more liquid wax available for knives that have rough surfaces, scale or other special needs. The silicone is the A.G.Russell clear liquid.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

I have always used Rem oil or Break Free because after wiping off the knife after use, it leaves a microscopic layer of teflon, or whatever it is that they use. Having said that, I have never had a problem with rust or anyother corosive thing after using either of those products.
I have also been told by collectors that they will wax thier blades before storing them. I havent done this, but it makes sense that a buffed out layer of wax should be a deterant to bad things attacking the metal parts of your knife. :spyder: :)
( please excuse my spelling!) :(