How strong are spyderco FRN Handles?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pa 1

How strong are spyderco FRN Handles?

Post by pa 1 »

I know the answer to this may vary with the type and pattern, but recently I feel like I have seen other handle materials that seem like they are much harder and therefore may stand more abuse.

For example,the Benchmade mini-grip seems like you could whack it on a rock,and it would survive. I recently bought a cold-steel roach belly, a really solid knife for so little, and, of course, a fixed blade, and thought the handle in one sense is very "cheap," in another, it appears like it would take a lot more abuse.

On the other hand, the handle on my Native (3) especially is incredibly comfortable, grippy, and intricate in detail, but I feel more like I want to protect it than allow it to get knocked. Is this just because I love it? Have you found that the FRN on Natives, Delicas, Stretches, etc, can withstand abuse, heat, cold, etc?

I have a UKPK FRN,and that seems more "tough." It too is a cheaper knife. Am I seeing a pattern?
unit

Post by unit »

There are various grades of FRN. I have seen reports that Spyderco uses a very high grade and the result is a very durable knife handle.

It can be broken, but there is always a pretty good story to accompany the breakage ;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I've never used my knife as a hammer or anything but my delica and endura are easy to clean, and haven't broke, chipped, cracked, or faded yet.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Toughness is rarely measured by tactile sensation. Spyderco FRN is extremely tough; the handle will outlast the blade in most scenarios.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

;) ...funny you should mention it, but I froze some to - 20 Celcius and beat the crap out of it with no damage, then froze it to - 27 C (I think) and beat the living crap out of it. It broke at - 27. Check out the "H1 versus a shoe" thread to see all I did... just so we'd know these things. :D

- best wishes, Jazz.
pa 1

Post by pa 1 »

Blerv wrote:Toughness is rarely measured by tactile sensation. Spyderco FRN is extremely tough; the handle will outlast the blade in most scenarios.
Now that's a good point. But what does the tacticle sensation show (other than comfort)? Nothing?

Another issue may be that with the linerless Native there is a bit of movement when the two sides of the handle are squeezed together. This adds to the lightness (a good thing) of the knife, but it may not inspire as much confidence as those with liners. It's all a tradeoff, right?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Look on youtube, there are some abuse videos, including a video of someone letting an orange Ladybug burn in a fireplace for several minutes. The FRN held up very well. It's pretty tough stuff.
:bug-red-white
pa 1

Post by pa 1 »

I will.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

the last one i saw broken (i must have missed the freezing episode :p ) was when someone was working on some draintille around there house and the knife was jammed blade first into the dirt and a bobcat ran over it and broke the FRN. that is the only one that comes to mind and i think i have been hanging around here for 5 years now. i think FRN can take many forms of abuse except the absurd. The early integrated clips in the 1st generation of enduras/delicas and walkers did break off but then Spyderco quit making them with that type of clip.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

There's also another recent thread where the FRN didn't hold up too well against a lawnmower.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

FRN: Extremely underestimated

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:Toughness is rarely measured by tactile sensation. Spyderco FRN is extremely tough; the handle will outlast the blade in most scenarios.
I would have to concur with Brother Blerv completely. I've carried my original Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly Jr hundreds of times and have used it a great many times in extremely rough environments and I still think the handle looks great for a knife that I've used extensively for the past 6 years +>>.

I would never turn down a great user-Spyder because of it having an FRN handle. I will admit that I personally like Spyderco's G-10 handles more and I even like the Titanium and Micarta handle they offer just a bit better as well. But there is nothing wrong with Spyderco's FRN handles and I think it's a perfect handle material for Spyderco's hard user blades.

Their Golden Colorado USA made Native with the FRN handle is one wrecking ball of a user knife and GOD knows that mine should be in the graveyard for all practical purposes. But it has taken a horrible beating over the years and is still a very serviceable knife. Not a thing wrong with their FRN in my opinion. And I test drive them very hard sometimes :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I will have to agree. I am not particularly a fan of FRN ( I like g10, micarta, CF much better) but I do have to admit that it is tough stuff. My Stretch is my most carried, it is pretty much the constant with something else usually added, and it has been dropped and stepped on, I accidentally flung it across the room once when I shook out the blanket that was on the couch but you honestly could not tell the difference between it and one bought and taken fresh from the box.
On the hunt for...
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I actually prefer the FRN over the G10, Titanium, Stainless and even Carbon Fiber. I find it to be more comfortable in the hand, tougher than any abuse you could put it through in normal usage, offers superb grip (even with wet/oily/greasy hands) and it wont destroy your pants pockets like G10 does. I stopped carrying my Captain because it DESTROYED several pairs of jeans.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I agree that it is great in those situations, but most of the time (other than fishing) my knives are used for more general edc type use and greasy/oily hands are not an issue. But it is good stuff, tough and will take a beating no denying that.

By the way, feel free to send me your Captain, I'd be glad to let it wear out my jeans :D
On the hunt for...
gus88

Post by gus88 »

spyderco frn is some pretty tough stuff. i like it.
however i have noticed that all my FRN lockbacks have vertical blade play, while my carbon fiber, and g10 lockbacks have no vertical blade play. ive always associated this with frns "flexiness"
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

gbelleh wrote:There's also another recent thread where the FRN didn't hold up too well against a lawnmower.
I dare bet, it didn't go down without a fight.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I open beer bottles with my FRN Ladybug. It's definitely tough stuff, barely any marks even. It's tough enough where Spyderco doesn't use liners on some of the FRN knives. I believe Yablanowitz posted a picture of a snapped FRN Spyderco, but only after a backhoe ran it over :eek: