sharpest edge out of the box?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

sharpest edge out of the box?

Post by razorsharp »

Have you got any knives that came particularly sharp out of the box. Just that little bit sharper than Usual? :rolleyes:

Yay 100th post
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The sharpest OOTB spydie I got was my FFG ZDP Endura in BRG.

Hehehehe, I wonder what NKP will make of that. Looks like code. :D :p
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I think it really depends on the luck of the draw...however, I do see trends from facility to facility when it comes to how the bevels are ground and finished. In my experience, the US plant still does the best job of grinding nice gradual bevels that create a very sharp edge. But all spydies generally come with an exceptional edge, and like everything in life, none are perfect. I've never had a spydie that takes more than a little while on the sharpmaker and strop to get to an optimal sharpness (for me), and usually all it takes is a quick strop to polish off any burr.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hands down, my CF Caly 3. That knife made me reevaluate my sharpening technique.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Caly jr., Caly 3, Stretch 2 CF/ZDP, new ZDP dragonfly is well up there too. I'm impressed with it to be honest.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Best ever out of the box sharpness for me ...was a Mini Manix CE.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

For me the Michael Walker was the sharpest brand new knife I've ever bought.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I dunno but I would guess that not all specimens of one model come with "equal" sharpness as all others of the same production batch.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I dunno but I would guess that not all specimens of one model come with "equal" sharpness as all others of the same production batch.
I'd have to agree with this. I haven't been able to compare edges of the same model but of the knives I have checked for sharpness and edge angle accuracy, there is enough of a difference from one knife to another to suggest that the knives are not sharpened by a machine on an assembly line. The amount of difference is enough that I believe a human is involved with holding the knife, hence the difference. It's hard enough for a person to hold every knife the same way not to mention there being I don't know how many people in different countries doing it. I just got a Delica FFG, ZDP-189 knife for my birthday. The knife was VERY sharp and had equal bevels on each side at 17 degrees per side. I've also seen knives with different angles from one side to the other. Please know I'm not complaining. I understand Spyderco's goal is to sharpen the knives at a 15 degree per side angle so when someone uses the Sharpmaker set to the 20 degree per side they are guaranteed to hit the edge and sharpen the blade. Even if each side isn't exactly 15 degrees it is always below 20 degrees per side so the Sharpmaker set to 20 degrees will still hit the edge and sharpen the knife. I use an Edge Pro to determine what angles are on the edge.

This is how it seems to me about Spyderco's sharpening method in the factory but I could be wrong. Let me say again, I'm not complaining. In addition Spyderco's goal seems to be to make re-sharpening their knives as simple and quick as possible and I believe they have achieved that goal.

Jack
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

Strangely enough, it's my Swick 2! I just touch my finger with it and my skin falls off. I'm not even kidding, It is seriously supernaturally sharp. I have still yet to see anything else quite like it.
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: Just received my two ENDURA4 PE WAVE . . . . I am very impresed with the shaving sharp edge that both of the SPIDIES came with . . . . All my other ENDURA4 PE that i own (if i remember well i own 17 till today) they came with an OK edge, needing some kind of "treatment" . . . . When i had the notification this morning from the post office, i prepared the bench to sharpen one of the ENDURA4 PE WAVE at 17deg . . . . When i received them and tried both just to see the "condition of the edge" i desided to do nothing yet . . . . I did the old paper cut test doing some "curlies" (if i say it right) and VOILA . . . . I will carry ENDURA4 PE WAVE for my new EDC, being very satisfyed with the shaving sharp edge that came with . . . . :) :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Mentaculous wrote:I think it really depends on the luck of the draw...however, I do see trends from facility to facility when it comes to how the bevels are ground and finished.
chuck_roxas45 wrote:I dunno but I would guess that not all specimens of one model come with "equal" sharpness as all others of the same production batch.
I agree with both of you but will say that, in my admittedly limited experience, the most consistently ultra sharp Spydercos are the full flat ground members of the "Calypso" family (C52, C54, C113, C144).

I do feel I've owned enough, and a broad enough variety of, brand new Spydercos to be able to say that while not all of them live up to the "stupid sharp out of the box" reputation WE USERS have created and perpetuated for them, knives that are disappointingly dull are few and far between.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hi,
Just received My Cally 3 in CF w/ZDP 189/420J2 yesterday. To date this is the sharpest of all the Spydies, out of the box. Most would call this scary sharp.The individual who sharpened mine was at the top of His game that day! Just My 2 cents.
Thanks,
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:
I do feel I've owned enough, and a broad enough variety of, brand new Spydercos to be able to say that while not all of them live up to the "stupid sharp out of the box" reputation WE USERS have created and perpetuated for them, knives that are disappointingly dull are few and far between.
Having only a few spydies(just over 20), I haven't had a NIB spydie dull OOTB.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

My Super Blue Mule and the Cobalt Special Mule came especially sharp out of the box. For production folders, the ZDP-189 Stretch 2 was noteworthy as well.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
spydietingle

Post by spydietingle »

My Persistance "value folder" was probably the sharpest blade OOTB that I have. My Delica was sharp too but the Persistance was hair popping. Manix was usably sharp but by no means what I expected. That said, I agree with previous posts that it's not a specific model that comes sharper, it's luck. If it were model specific, my Manix would be able to chop the Persistance in half. Now that the Manix is stupid sharp now, it is my sharpest and longest lasting edge. (Until I get my ZDP Caly)
James

She says: What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.
I say: That's fine, except one thing -> :spyder:
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

ZDP Caly Jr (really really *really* sharp)
Gayle Bradley
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

My Para 2 was insanely sharp. Honorable mention to my Delica FFG. But, neither were as sharp as my Kershaw Skyline. Freaking thing was scary, hair whittling sharp.
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

My Dragonfly 2 ZDP was the sharpest to my recollection. However, the Delica ZDP wasnt so sharp out of the box.
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I'd say my Chokwe was the sharpest NIB
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt