How much have you invested?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GohawnFG

How much have you invested?

Post by GohawnFG »

I haven't been in the game for long, and I'm just curious about what you all have under your belt. I officially began my collection Sep '10, so it has only been 5 months. I'm the proud owner of 12 blades, and have invested 1k in total :eek: It's a huge deal to me as a full time student, and I'm constantly looking for odd dimes and dollars to put into my knife fund.

So what are your stats?
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I have 53 Spyderco's in my collection, and have given 6 or 7 as gifts...I hate to think how much I have "invested" in the brand.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

For me it's hundreds...but I have invested more blood, sweat and tears I care to think about....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I'm a college student too but I am pretty lucky in that I have 2 jobs so that gives me enough free money to afford a knife every now and then :D I know I'm not a top collector by any means but I think currently I am at about $2,100 in Spydies, $1750 in Striders and probably around $700 in other brands
Vic
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

I am up to about 20 or so spyderco knives with a few more on the way. I not really sure on dollar amount but I'm sure it's well over a grand.I also have 30 or 40 more in other brands : sebenza,benchmade,kershaw,buck,crkt, but spyderco is my absolute favorite.
35:spyder:
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I currently have 5 Spydies. I have had up to 15 or 16 at a time. I'm trying to reduce my collection even further.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not a lot, but i've put more money in than i've gotten knives out if that makes any sense...the local knife shop has a trade in deal that i sucker myself into all the time so i end up paying more for a knife than i would outright, but it affords me to trade up on knives i wouldn't have the cash to buy out right.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not a cent, because I don't consider the money I've spent on knives an investment, I consider it money spent on something which brings me pleasure. I don't enjoy sightseeing, dining out, or the theater. I don't buy tickets to professional sports, or rock concerts and I don't currently participate in any expensive sports or other expensive hobbies.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

TexSierra wrote:I have 53 Spyderco's in my collection, and have given 6 or 7 as gifts...I hate to think how much I have "invested" in the brand.
I've given several knives as gifts too, and I hate to think how much THAT adds up to.
Dr. Snubnose wrote:For me it's hundreds...but I have invested more blood, sweat and tears I care to think about....Doc :D
Lol, speaking of blood, I just got my first knife bite, from a Gerber of all things :confused: Ironically I was examining the edge because it came dull out of the box, and accidentally ran my finger the wrong direction. So much for being dull.
StangBang wrote:I'm a college student too but I am pretty lucky in that I have 2 jobs so that gives me enough free money to afford a knife every now and then :D I know I'm not a top collector by any means but I think currently I am at about $2,100 in Spydies, $1750 in Striders and probably around $700 in other brands
I constantly think about how much more I'd be in in knives if I had more funds to back them. Sometimes I feel frustrated in that I can't afford certain ones, and other times I feel relieved because of it :p

IrishSpyder22 wrote:I am up to about 20 or so spyderco knives with a few more on the way. I not really sure on dollar amount but I'm sure it's well over a grand.I also have 30 or 40 more in other brands : sebenza,benchmade,kershaw,buck,crkt, but spyderco is my absolute favorite.
Looks like you easily surpassed 1k. On Spydies alone I've only spent about half a grand so far. Lone Wolf, CRKT, Gerber, Sanrenmu, and Opinel make up the rest.

npueppke wrote:I currently have 5 Spydies. I have had up to 15 or 16 at a time. I'm trying to reduce my collection even further.
That actually sounds like a great number to stick to. I'm not as much a knife user as a collector, so there's the danger of hoarding too many of them.
Evil D wrote:Not a lot, but i've put more money in than i've gotten knives out if that makes any sense...the local knife shop has a trade in deal that i sucker myself into all the time so i end up paying more for a knife than i would outright, but it affords me to trade up on knives i wouldn't have the cash to buy out right.
I wish I had a nice B&M shop nearby. I think being able to handle the knife before you pull the trigger makes a big difference(though it would only tempt me all the more).
The Deacon wrote:Not a cent, because I don't consider the money I've spent on knives an investment, I consider it money spent on something which brings me pleasure. I don't enjoy sightseeing, dining out, or the theater. I don't buy tickets to professional sports, or rock concerts and I don't currently participate in any expensive sports or other expensive hobbies.
I used "investment" for lack of a better word. I feel that they are a type of investment for me, because I put money into them and they work for me, whether it be literal functionality or just collecting purposes and eye candy. And god forbid if one day I need it, I can get a few bucks out of them too. Much more of an investment for me, as I don't have steady money coming in.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

With a nod to Paul's point, whatever the verb would be, it's more than I'm comfortable posting in public. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

A large part of my disposable income which I also am not comfortable posting nor thinking about. :D
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

10k plus! just shy 300 total...

...and every penny worth it. im enjoying myslef.
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been accumulating knives for about 45 years. The total dollars spent is more than I've spent on cars and trucks in the same period. Spyderco brand alone accounts for over $10K.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

yablanowitz wrote:I've been accumulating knives for about 45 years. The total dollars spent is more than I've spent on cars and trucks in the same period. Spyderco brand alone accounts for over $10K.
Yes...but I still have the knives...the cars, well... ;)

The thing that shocks me when I think about it is how expensive many of the knives are relative to, say, firearms. :eek:
unit

Post by unit »

The Deacon wrote:Not a cent, because I don't consider the money I've spent on knives an investment, I consider it money spent on something which brings me pleasure. I don't enjoy sightseeing, dining out, or the theater. I don't buy tickets to professional sports, or rock concerts and I don't currently participate in any expensive sports or other expensive hobbies.
That is about how I look at it....

But I will add that I have invested a considerable amount of time.

I have invested time in learning, helping others to learn, and in modifying/improving/embellishing my knives. If you look at my time invested and place some value on it (even a VERY low value), it would be a greater sum than what my cash outlay for knives is.

My point is, this (for me) is way more than buying boxes with knives in them...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

SmoothOne25 wrote:

...and every penny worth it. I'm enjoying myself.
Agreed! :D
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I'm just really not a collector, but I like buying knives to try them out. The problem is that I usually end up using them, at least a little, and have to sell at a loss.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

SmoothOne25 wrote:10k plus! just shy 300 total...

...and every penny worth it. im enjoying myslef.
Exactly :D Hey isn't that what it is about?
Vic
unit

Post by unit »

npueppke wrote:I'm just really not a collector, but I like buying knives to try them out. The problem is that I usually end up using them, at least a little, and have to sell at a loss.
I like to say that I sell them for their depreciated value. I figure the joy of ownership is worth the depreciation.

That said, I only VERY rarely sell them. In fact, I have given away more than I have sold...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I only had two Spydercos in Oct 2010 and now i have 34 on hand, 4 on the way, and i have given away 6 since then. I really have no idea of how much i have spent....