Best pivot lube?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Best pivot lube?

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I know there are a lot of different kinds and I thought that I would see what was a favourite or best recommended about here.

I have a couple knives that need a bit of lube, my Persistence and my CRKT M21.
On the hunt for...
scout

Post by scout »

I have been trying Coon P and have been very pleased. SMKW recommends it for all knives and safe queens in particular.
arty

Post by arty »

I hate to say it, but I have been using B_MDE Blue Lube on my Spyderco knives. It works well.
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

Will WD-40 work?
Ed Schempp

Understanding WD 40

Post by Ed Schempp »

Most synthetic lubes are great. Please understand that WD 40 is a great cleaning agent the WD stands for water displacement. The side effect is that if water is trapped in the mechanism that it can still rust.

I highly recommend that you clean with compressed air then WD 40 and then use compressed air to blow out any trapped water and excess WD 40, then lube with some synthetic. On back locks it is good to use compressed air to blow out not only the pivot mechanism but all moving parts including the lock bar and lock release lever....Take Care...Ed
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

Thanks Ed, it will help a bunch.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mineral oil is food safe and cheap.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bobspel

Post by bobspel »

I like to use Militec, but it works best when you work it in vigorously by manipulating the blade back and forth many times. Since it is a metal conditioner, the manufacturer states that it is most effective through heat activation, such as the friction of metal on metal.
The only thing better than finding something good, is finding something good'n cheap.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I second the suggestion for Mineral oil. It's what I use, without issue.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

BALLISTOL! Seriously its smells great , food safe, and just read about the stuff its amazing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol
thewannabesurvivalist
Gtavares

Post by Gtavares »

Now I´m testing olive oil (the same that you put in your salad !! lol ) at my Victorinox Sentinel...it is working fine and it´s 100 % food safe... :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I did some research a couple of years ago and found out about WAX lubricants. The two I've heard of are Finish Line and White Lightning. I've never tried White Lightning but Finish Line is advertised mainly for bicycle use. There is a knife manufacturer who recommends White Lightning because it is a WAX or parafin based lube. The Finish Line selection I have is located at http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/kry-tech.htm. They have several types. I figured for moving parts as well as keeping dust and dirt out a bicycle goes through as much torture as anything. Especially off-road bikes. So I use a WAX lube on the pivot. It dries with a waxy texture that doesn't attract dust or dirt and the blade pivots very easily. Then I use Tuf-Glide/ Tuf-cloth on the blade for corrosion control. It is supposed to "bond" chemically to the metal so you can't wipe it off. You put it on, it dries "mostly" then you wipe off any excess. (http://www.sentrysolutions.com) I've never seen either in a store but Finish Line is available on it's site and Tuf-Glide products are on cutleryshoppe.com as well as others. White Lightning and Tuf-Glide were mentioned in a recent Blade Magazine article.

My knives don't go through much to cause corrosion. Rain or sweat is all. No salt water at all so I can't swear by these products in high corrosive environments.

Jack
Edit: Quick Release claims similar features as Tuf-Glide and has convincing customer praises (but then would they put negative ones on their site? lol).
fast.ed

Post by fast.ed »

Militec.

Bought a small bottle 10 years ago for my pistol. A little bit goes a long way.
The bottle is still 1/2 full. Works fine on my knives.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Gtavares wrote:Now I´m testing olive oil (the same that you put in your salad !! lol ) at my Victorinox Sentinel...it is working fine and it´s 100 % food safe... :D
I used to do a lot of 18th century living history. We used olive oil, for which there was documentation from period sources, as a lubricant and rust preventative. It works just fine for things like musket locks, so it should be more than adequate for a knife pivot. It is also kitchen-safe. ;) The only issues are that it can get rancid (not a big deal AFAIK) and sticky (I guess it is actually polymerizing?) if left for a long period.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

JNewell wrote:....... The only issues are that it can get rancid ....
Food oil spoils

I use mineral oil
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JNewell wrote:I used to do a lot of 18th century living history. We used olive oil, for which there was documentation from period sources, as a lubricant and rust preventative. It works just fine for things like musket locks, so it should be more than adequate for a knife pivot. It is also kitchen-safe. ;) The only issues are that it can get rancid (not a big deal AFAIK) and sticky (I guess it is actually polymerizing?) if left for a long period.
I too, use olive oil for my knives that will possibly be used for food. I do wash my EDC knives often.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

dd61999 wrote:Food oil spoils

I use mineral oil
Yes, it gets rancid....does it matter, for this purpose?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I was reading somewhere that a lot of lubes collect dust and grit and that a dry lube is better any thoughts on that? Maybe graphite or something?
On the hunt for...
TBob

Post by TBob »

I prefer two equally well. Otis Special Forces Dry Lube, in which the liquid suspension evaporates quickly leaving a dry lube behind. A little goes a long way. My other is Gunzilla, which also leaves a thin film behind but takes much longer (days to weeks) to dry. I use both on my firearms and my knives to great effect. The other benefits of Gunzilla are that the coating it leaves behind also is highly corrosion resistant and it's non-hazardous (made from plant material).
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I use Tuf-glide for pivots myself. A thin film wiped over the blade also provides good corrosion prevention. I don't bother with the Tuf-Cloth - I just use Tuf-Glide and a small gun cleaning patch. If you put a few drops of Tuf-Glide on it, you can do a dozen knives or more.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185