Why were the older stainless models tip down?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuntZombie

Why were the older stainless models tip down?

Post by StuntZombie »

Looking at pictures of older Spyderco models, I noticed that most if not all of the stainless models were made to be carried tip down only, while the FRN models were tip up. Was there a reason for the difference between the two?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The only reasonable way to carry is tip down, so that's how they made the early stainless models. When they started doing FRN, they couldn't mold the clip on the right end because of the pivot, so they stuck it on the other end instead, and tip-up was born.

Yes, I'm razzing the tip-up cary fans a little, and I wasn't there for any of it, but I suspect the actual process went something like that.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Because Chuck Norris said so.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Continuing Quality Improvement. As soon as Spyderco realized that tip-up is the way to go, they started making more knives with the appropriate clip position.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The combination of the Spyderhole opener and tip down carry allows for rapid deployment by grasping the Spyderhole between ones thumb and forefinger to withdraw the knife from the pocket. If you look at Spyderco advertising from the early years, it used that as a selling point. Tip up carry does not allow that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

As Deacon mentioned, when we began the lite weights, we new the sales would be greater and we didn't think it would be a good idea to have everyone "spyder-drop" opening, so we created tip-up carry for more secure and less intimidating opening.

sal
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Thanks for the information. Truthfully, I've never really deployed my Spydercos by grabbing the hole and flicking them open. I guess I always worry about flinging them. I guess that method doesn't work as well with the lighter handled FRN models either.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

sal wrote:As Deacon mentioned, when we began the lite weights, we new the sales would be greater and we didn't think it would be a good idea to have everyone "spyder-drop" opening, so we created tip-up carry for more secure and less intimidating opening.

sal
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

You learn something new every day; it's great to have Sal be so involved in this forum answering these questions!!! It's not every day that you can talk with the brains behind the product.