Nor Cal dealers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JediKnight86

Nor Cal dealers?

Post by JediKnight86 »

Just wondering if anybody knows a good knife shop that sells Spyderco and other premium brands located between Santa Cruz and Sacramento.

Thanks!
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

I've been wondering the same thing, but on Long Island. :o
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

J&S Surplus, just north of Moss Landing (30 - 45 minutes south of Santa Cruz) is a GREAT spot to put your hands on most current Spyderco knives. They may be more expensive than eBay or other online dealers, but they have lots and lots of knives.

Stevens Creek Surplus is another. They are located in San Jose on Stevens Creek BLVD.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Edit...I see that you are in Rocklin...good luck with that one.

There was a surplus store in Placerville that had some great deals. Unfortunately, I purchased them out this past year.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Only one I know is "We Be Knives". Located at Pier 39, in the heart of all the tourist attractions. I avoid that place because of tourist crowds and expensive parking. Last time I stopped in the little store, there were customers lined up against the main glass display case three rows deep.

http://www.webeknives.com

Good luck.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

TexSierra wrote:Edit...I see that you are in Rocklin...good luck with that one.

There was a surplus store in Placerville that had some great deals. Unfortunately, I purchased them out this past year.
I was in Santa Cruz this weekend.
Mako109 wrote:Only one I know is "We Be Knives". Located at Pier 39, in the heart of all the tourist attractions. I avoid that place because of tourist crowds and expensive parking. Last time I stopped in the little store, there were customers lined up against the main glass display case three rows deep.

http://www.webeknives.com

Good luck.
I've heard of that place...
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

JediKnight86 wrote:I was in Santa Cruz this weekend.

Thats a bummer. Too bad you didn't ask before you were out there. J&S is an awesome store and well worth the drive down. Plus, highway 1 is a beautiful trip.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

I'll be back there again soon I'm sure. Good to know there's at least one good shop.
26.2Madness

Post by 26.2Madness »

JediKnight86 wrote:Just wondering if anybody knows a good knife shop that sells Spyderco and other premium brands located between Santa Cruz and Sacramento.

Thanks!
I also live in Rocklin and I have found nothing decent any where close. There are a few large box stores that have a minimal selection of quality knives, but that is about it.

I have been to the We Be Knives in San Francisco in the Fisherman's Wharf area. They have an excellent selection, but are super expensive. I only get to the store once in while because I hate going to S.F. Too much traffic and too many liberals.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

26.2Madness wrote:I also live in Rocklin and I have found nothing decent any where close. There are a few large box stores that have a minimal selection of quality knives, but that is about it.

I have been to the We Be Knives in San Francisco in the Fisherman's Wharf area. They have an excellent selection, but are super expensive. I only get to the store once in while because I hate going to S.F. Too much traffic and too many liberals.
There's Wild Sports in Orangevale, that's the only one I've found that is OK. But they sell around MSRP and the selection doesn't seem to get updated too often, but the case is pretty full. Online dealers spoil us.
Dotanuki

Post by Dotanuki »

Don't know if Santa Rosa is out of your way, but they have a nice knife shop in the main mall there, Santa Rosa Plaza, Cutlery N More. All the major brands there including a nice selection of Spyderco. They're way overpriced but I've bought a few things just to support a B&M. But you get to see and hold them in person, and they almost always look better than online/catalogs.

We Be Knives is a candy store, but with tourist tax prices.
- Roman

:spyder: Superhawk : Lil' Temp Rhino : D'Allara Rescue : Captain : Khukuri : Manix 2 CF : Kris : Barong : Military Orange : Salsa Ti PE : Lava : Delica SE ATS 55 :spyder:

JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Update:

I expected I wouldn't like this place and it didn't fail me there.
Stopped by We Be Knives on pier 39. Tiny place. Didnt like how many of the knives were on a magnetic rail wall. There were a few cases and the only on I looked at had about 20 WH knives and two small Sebenzas. First mistake making WH look like a far superior knife. The owner even put down CRK when I told I'm I'd rather have a Sebenza over the Spyderco fluted titanium Military. Great knife but not for $400!!! Are you kidding? Every knife I looked at after that was priced OVER MSRP by some degree. Flat grind Endura $90, Tenacious $60, Para2 $250. I pretty much stopped there. He tried handing me a Benchmade Lum, the newer one, I said no thanks I like Spyderco not Benchmade. He said I feel completely the opposite. Fine, your choice.

I then asked if he's ever heard of NGK, Knifeworks, Plaza Cutlery, Cutlery Shoppe, GP Knives, etc he said no. I said they are brick and mortar stores that sell online for far less than what he charges. He said oh no all those places drop ship you can't trust their inventory. I said no I know who drop ships (Your Corner Store, etc) I don't buy from them. These stores have real inventory, great customer service and don't need to charge MSRP, much less more than that to make money.

He obviously only cares about ripping off tourists. Its sad. He's got a decent inventory compared to many places if you can even find a local knife store, and he's got a lot of the new models too. Do CRK or Spyderco allow markup like that? It's his store he can do what he wants but I think it's bad business.
DaRTH SfaRi

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

dublin guns n knives they're a lil cheaper than we be knives but I havnt been there in a while n they never answer the phone... I've been lookn for a good local dealer since the antioch armory stopped carrying them althoug they still carry delicas..also the fairfield mall used to have a shop but I'm not sure anymore...worth checkn out..when you do find a place w/ a good selection n decent prices please update this thread bcuz I've been searching for a while now.
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*
olorin15

Post by olorin15 »

There's Williams Cutlery in Palo Alto — great selection, but probably the only place that can challenge We Be Knives in terms of $$ above MSRP :)

There's also Redwood Trading Post in Redwood City. Nice selection, but still overpriced.

There's a surplus store near me in Mountain View, but those tend to have Bucks, Kershaws, and SOGs rather than :spyder: s...

And there's a gun store right around the corner that sells knives, but it's too shady for me to venture into :D
Dopeler effect - the tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter, when they come at you rapidly.
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

I believe Stevens Creek Surplus in San Jose carries a bunch of Spydercos.
gus88

Post by gus88 »

Shaver and Cutler Shop at 50th and Telegraph in Oakland. They have pretty much every model currently offered, but dont expect to get anything for a dime less than MSRP.

They do have some good deals on other brands for some reason though.... :confused:
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

I've been to Steven's Creek Surplus, and they do have a very nice selection of blades that are of course priced above online sellers. The first time I went I received terrible service; the lady was incredibly rude. I had planned on making a purchase, but the service left a bad taste in my mouth. The second visit was really pleasing however, but they didn't have a box for the knife I wanted. They have almost every brand you could be looking for(Spyderco, Benchmade, CRKT, SOG, Victorinox, Buck, Gerber, Opinel, Ka-Bar, Kershaw, CCC, etc.) and they have a lot of gear too.

Another place I've been is Armor-Geddon in Cupertino. They're located inside the Vallco Mall. They have Spyderco, Benchmade, WH(I think), CRK, Ka-Bar, Kershaw, and a lot more. They also carry some airsoft stuff, and some swords. They have a lot more fantasy-type knives too. Staff is really friendly.