Forum knife 101

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Forum knife 101

Post by Sequimite »

For the newer forumites in particular, while everyone is free to express the desire for any possible forum knife, your suggestions are more likely to come to fruition if they are more realistic:

1) Base it on an existing model. Kristi had to put in a lot of overtime for the 2009 Native forum knife just to get the custom color and etching right. Designing something requiring much engineering and testing for a 300 knife production run is not going to happen.

2) Make it a US model. China and Japan won't do small enough runs; don't know about Taiwan. Coordination for a small custom run is hard enough in the same building. It's much more difficult on the other side of the world.

3) Less expensive models are more likely to become forum knives because Sal has expressed the desire to have the forum knives be affordable for as many forumites as possible. (Personally, I hope we can get a more upscale model one of these years)

4) Don't complain, it's not likely to help your chances of being persuasive.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Orange Dodo. Problem solved.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

TexSierra wrote:Orange Dodo. Problem solved.
Piggybacking on a Sprint run is an interesting idea - assuming there is an orange Dodo sprint run coming out this year.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Did I read Orange Dodo? I hope I read Orange Dodo. Perhaps with a black blade for the forum knife?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Morris

Post by Morris »

Just an idea, but since the 2009 Native was very well received, how about bringing it back
for this year? Just update the graphic to show 2011, and choose a new handle color,
maybe a new steel, maybe a combo edge this year.

Viola! 2011 Forum Knife finished - and we start a bit of continuity, a great collecting plus.

And let's keep the tradition of every other year the release date. Odd number
years = Forum Knife! And we don't burn out Kristi in the meantime.

just a few ideas - don't hate me if they're stupid! :)
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

A forum knife should be something special. An orange dodo with a black blade would be very special. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

ORANGE Dodo sounds good to me too, don't care about the blade, polished is OK so is black.........Burgundy Micarta would be nice too.......... ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

I've seen pics of that Toxic Green forum knife, how about a Native w/ffg, Para2, or Millie with a black blade. Although Millie might put it out of the price range.

I think there are enough M2 versions out there so I didn't include it.
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

How about the G10 Endura 4? I like the steel liners and lock.
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Aaaaaaaaaand the thread is starting to derail already on the first page.
To stick to the topic and the requirements for a forum knife:
My personal favourite would be an FRN UKPK in a new color, maybe with a black blade, FFG or hollow, don't care personally. :)
1) Check
2) Check
3) Totally check!

The other good option would be the new lightweight Manix2, again, new color, maybe a black blade. Not as affordable though AND it's not in production yet so it is a bit iffy...

+1 to recycling the graphic from the 2009 Native, just on a different blade. ;)

No one brought it up yet, but it will come up eventually:
I think the regular Manix2 has already had so many different variations it's time to let the design rest, poor Manix collectors and their wallets. :(
araneae

Post by araneae »

The frn UK in ffg was a good idea last year and I'll propose it again. I like orange. The Manix lightweight would be another great choice.

Remember folks the more realistic the knife, the more likely it is to happen. Its not design your dream knife time.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Linguini3

Post by Linguini3 »

im in for any variations of a p'kal. perhaps cf and s90v ? or maybe some orange/green/blue/etc... scales ;p
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I most likely will buy any Spyderco knife, but certainly prefer:
1. Orange Dodo
2. Para2 Dark green G10 handle (like Lil T), blade steel 154CM or better
3. Native5 Dark green G10.
4. in case of FRN UKPK, FFG blade, please
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

p'kal variations, civilian variations, dodo?
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
angusW

Post by angusW »

How about a fixed blade knife like a Swick 2 in DLC.

It was really fun adding scales to mine but some people might not be into that so maybe screw on scales. That way people can add their own if they wish to.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

should post a thread with a vote on how much should it cost as well as what knife to do. one leads or limits the other. obviously making the sage Ti into a forum knife could limit how many would want to splurge on it. then again i dont see it needing to be at the low end of the scale either. we should try to get a consensus on this and hopefully from that we could have a selection in that range to work from. Personally i think the Sage is the big hit of 2010. and since its continued into the next year i dont see why it might not be a great forum knife choice. could do up the Sage 1 in some awsome G-10 color and maybe end up with a cool sub $100 forum knife. Dont know if it would have to be a USA made knife.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I'm thinking a lightweight Manix 2 forum knife would be a good option. Made in Golden, flat ground, CBBL, under $100.
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

I have a Lightweight Manix 2 on preorder for $75 so it actually is pretty affordable compared to other Manix 2's.
Creepo wrote:Aaaaaaaaaand the thread is starting to derail already on the first page.
To stick to the topic and the requirements for a forum knife:
My personal favourite would be an FRN UKPK in a new color, maybe with a black blade, FFG or hollow, don't care personally. :)
1) Check
2) Check
3) Totally check!

The other good option would be the new lightweight Manix2, again, new color, maybe a black blade. Not as affordable though AND it's not in production yet so it is a bit iffy...

+1 to recycling the graphic from the 2009 Native, just on a different blade. ;)

No one brought it up yet, but it will come up eventually:
I think the regular Manix2 has already had so many different variations it's time to let the design rest, poor Manix collectors and their wallets. :(
Donut

Post by Donut »

M4 or S90V or Super Blue, Orange Dodo. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eyebedam

Post by eyebedam »

As long as it's either Toxic Green or Orange with a black blade I think it's a wonderful idea. Whatever model it might be. I think a Delica would be a good choice. Perfect size not to big or to small & easy to produce & it's a model everyone loves.