Why are Butterfly/Balisong knives so expensive?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
wsdavies

Why are Butterfly/Balisong knives so expensive?

Post by wsdavies »

Whether it be Spyderco or Benchmade it seems like for the materials and work that go into these knives that they are terribly overpriced. Seems like a well designed and manufactured butterfly made in say China and priced reasonably...say $65 would sell like crazy.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Best guess is this;

Since few places allow Balisongs, the market is much smaller for them. Manufacturers will then produce only as many as they need to meet projected sales, which can't be that high.

Now, all the costs of manufacturing the model, plus a profit, are then divided up amongst how many knives are roughly going to be made.

Theres your price (wholesale)

Essentially this;
Less knives = Higher price.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

There's also an import restriction on balsongs. This plagued the orginal spyderfly and caused spyderco a lot of trouble. This is why many companies only sell amercan made autos. Of course laws vary by state but spyderco follows co laws and federal laws. So don't expect an imported spyderco bali or auto. I wanted to send my spyderfly in for sharpening but I was informed t would not be returned to me. I also think this thread would be better suited in the off topic or restricted secton.
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

Despite import laws, you can get a made in USA Benchmade 53 for ~$113 if you look in the right places (though the right places are currently out of stock). Bradley Kimuras are pretty cheap too. The Kimura II is ~$85. I imagine it has to do with balis often being high-end knives, made with high-end materials and fit/finish.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think part of it is how Murray Carter put it...something like, when you buy a folding knife, the lions share of the price is to cover the design/manufacture of the lock and pivot. He makes a point that buying a fixed blade means you're paying all your money on the blade and materials, but it may also say something about the cost in manufacturing a bali. You basically have twice the handles and twice the pivots and more machine work on the blade to attach them to.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I just wish I could find a reasonably priced red-handled Spyderfly trainer to purchase for amusement. I've looked around the 'bay and other forums, but these seem hard to find.

Are these restricted by federal and local laws, even though they aren't technically knives?

Just curious.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My guess is yes because you could sharpen the false edge if you really wanted to.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

They are classed the same way because spyderco classed them that way. The red-handled trainers as well as the knives themselves have gone the way of the dodo....i.e. hopefully there will someday be a sprint run.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
MMArtie

Post by MMArtie »

Balisongs carry a lot of rumor about legality, especially here in So Cal, but from what I understand, in Orange, Riverside, LA & SD county & CA law, we can own them in home & have them imported, imported about 4 so far, from CONUS only. But back to your post, you can get the actual Smallyfly blade & trainer, mine are on the way, here: http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... o+smallfly

Hope I'm not breaking rules posting the link but trying to help out :spyder: :)
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

phillipsted wrote: ... Are these restricted by federal and local laws, even though they aren't technically knives?

Just curious.

TedP
SolidState wrote:They are classed the same way because spyderco classed them that way. The red-handled trainers as well as the knives themselves have gone the way of the dodo....i.e. hopefully there will someday be a sprint run.
They are classified as Automatics (both live and trainers) by the Federal government under the Switchblade Act. As a manufacturer, we are bound by the Federal laws.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm sorry Kristi. I was unaware that trainers were classed by the Feds that way. My understanding was that it was up to the manufacturer whether or not trainers were classed as weapons. I apologize. I learned something new today.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy