Concept knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rict

Concept knives?

Post by rict »

New member of the forum, and just ordered my first Spyderco knife: PE Byrd Crossbill.

Anyway, in one of the (many) threads I've been reading the past few days, this URL:
http://dialex.idilis.ro/blades.htm
came up in discussion.
WOW! The Tarantula, The Prowler, The Claw, The MyHideAway....beautiful knives.

Now, my impression is that these are just concept knives, never made and therefore not available anywhere...correct?

RicT

Post by 224477 »

The Adventura was done once in the past, real Spyderco Adventura :D
Long time discontinued now. Spoiled to have one :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

At the risk of offending rict...

I see a lot of posts like this on forums that I visit that have the same format... a new user asks some seemingly relevant question, but somewhere in the post (body or signature), there is a link to some sort of "affiliate site". In other words, spam made to look like it's not spam.

Assuming that this post is legit, those aren't Spyderco knives.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Joe Internet wrote:At the risk of offending rict...

I see a lot of posts like this on forums that I visit that have the same format... a new user asks some seemingly relevant question, but somewhere in the post (body or signature), there is a link to some sort of "affiliate site". In other words, spam made to look like it's not spam.

Some of them are spyderco knives. They are design concepts by a member of the Forum named Dialex. As has been mention, Spyderco made the Adventura. Also, they are planning to produce another one of his designs (last time I looked at his page it wasn't there but it used to be) called the "Junior". It's a pretty awesome looking design, and one that interests me.

Edit:here's one of Mr. Blonde's videos of the Junior prototype
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go9TFNyePK4
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No, at least in this case, you're totally wrong. Te OP asked a legitimate question in the most appropriate venue possible. The site linked to is owned by a very well respected member of this forum, Alex Diaconescu aka DiALEX. As noted by others, one of his designs, the Adventura, was produced by Spyderco a few years ago and another is scheduled for production. IIRC, there's a third design of his under consideration. Kind of incredible really considering that Alex is neither a custom knifemaker with a built-in following or a "name" martial arts practitioner.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Dialex makes some pretty cool looks models.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Junior though. Seems like a masterpiece in design and ergonomics, squeezing every bit of knife possible into the tiniest amount of space, but that extreme has left it lacking in the aesthetics department.

I can see right now the appeal of the uber-functional design, and that wide FFG blade looks amazing, as does the use of the compression lock, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy in terms of looks, but again, the best Spydercos are designed in the dark after all! :D
Manix Guy 2

Thanks Paul !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Thanks for clearing this up before I stepped in to help . I have great respect for Dialex . I have the Adventura and wish there would be a run with different handles and even a larger variation . Shot down with anothe design . Regards MG2
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I agree, they are really nice designs. I like the Flashback and TOPTAC quite a bit.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I think my favourite would have to be the Akimbo.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HotSoup wrote:Dialex makes some pretty cool looks models.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Junior though. Seems like a masterpiece in design and ergonomics, squeezing every bit of knife possible into the tiniest amount of space, but that extreme has left it lacking in the aesthetics department.

I can see right now the appeal of the uber-functional design, and that wide FFG blade looks amazing, as does the use of the compression lock, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy in terms of looks, but again, the best Spydercos are designed in the dark after all! :D
As I understand it, just like the Gunting and P'kal, the Junior is a "purpose built" knfe. Only, instead of self defense, it's purpose is to provide young people a knife that's very safe for them to use.
Manix Guy 2 wrote:Thanks for clearing this up before I stepped in to help . I have great respect for Dialex . I have the Adventura and wish there would be a run with different handles and even a larger variation . Shot down with anothe design . Regards MG2
No problem, MG2. I've been in awe of Alex's talent since the first time I saw his designs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Splice

Post by Splice »

I REALLY dig the Spyderbenza, but I think the Dialex Junior still tops my most-wanted knives list
rict

Post by rict »

Hey "Joe Internet",

At the risk of offending you...
If you don't know the subject you're talking about (which you obviously don't in this case, since you didn't know anything about the user Dialex), maybe you'd be better off not saying anything. This is certainly not the kind of reaction I was asking for when I posted.

For everyone else,
Thanks for the info. (I wish the Tarantula WAS actually available!)

rict
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Interesting thread Rict, and welcome, clued me in to dialex :)

Everyone makes mistakes with their words, ideas, and assumptions in this media sometimes, I have myself a few times :o and have felt redfaced and embarassed for it. We'll all ok :)

Thanks for the link to Dialex. Have to check it out :D They sound like pretty cool designs, in the dark..lolol.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

In Joe Internet's defense,

Someone who just joined the forum this month can not reasonably be expected to know Dialex or any other respected long time members of the forum. Also, he brings up a valid point regarding spammers. They are using any and all kinds of trickery and deceitful means to post their trash so a friendly "heads up" is hardly inappropriate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

HotSoup wrote:I think my favourite would have to be the Akimbo.
I'd like to second the Akimbo.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

The Akimbo is cool. Basis for the Dialex Junior - which I defintely want to get. But I like the Gentlebug. Very nice LBK type design. Would also buy that in a minute.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I really love his deep, exaggerated "choils" - the Dialex Junior looks a superb exercise in design and I hope it gets produced soon ... would be even better of it could be a SLIPIT but I guess the "choil" is really a handle cut-out and wouldn't offer any protection from the blade folding.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
ruger95

Post by ruger95 »

I came across one by accident, feels great in the hand.

Just love to look at it, actually most of his work looks
appealing.
6leafdom

Post by 6leafdom »

TopTac and Diabowique!!!

Post by 224477 »

I like the Toptac too - that one was very closely made under a certain german company. But I dont wanna reveal the story I have directly from Alex, so maybe he could chimme in and comment /or not/. Depends on him.

The Akimbo is one of those I would like to see in real. There was a proto announced this year in A`dam, for a simillar knife from Alex, which I dont recall the name of, but I call it the 'rounded akimbo'. Wouter at least, or others possibly will know which one that is.

There were some 'rumours' that Spyderco has some other of Alex`s collaboration models in the works, and its not a rumour in fact ;)

Last not least, the Adventura is one of my most favourite knives for carry. The story is I never liked the knife back in 2005 /?/ when it was launched, I didnt like the way it looked, I held it and didnt like the shape, it felt weird to me. It took some years for me to undestand that design, once this was done, there were not too many Adventuras outthere. I spotted one, wanted to buy it, but then the Santa came and the things took a different route. I thank the Santa and like the knife very much (today I realised I missed to list it in the Top 5 Spydies thread..)

;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."