What exactly is a Tom Krein re-grind?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AJF

What exactly is a Tom Krein re-grind?

Post by AJF »

Will some kind and knowing soul please explain to me exactly what Mr. Krein does during one of his famous regrinds? I gather that he puts a FFG on the blade, and that he also thins it in some respect, but beyond that I don't know.

His work is uniformly praised, and I confess I'm getting an itch to try it, but would like to understand the whole process a little better first.

Thanks,

Andrew
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

AJF wrote:Will some kind and knowing soul please explain to me exactly what Mr. Krein does during one of his famous regrinds? I gather that he puts a FFG on the blade, and that he also thins it in some respect, but beyond that I don't know.

His work is uniformly praised, and I confess I'm getting an itch to try it, but would like to understand the whole process a little better first.

Thanks,

Andrew
Tom's a custom knife maker who happens to do custom regrinds and modifications.

His range of these mods seem to be everything from a more aggressive grind following factory lines (eg: thinning a hollow-grind) to changing one. Most of the people who do the regrinds go pretty aggressive on thinning the blade.

Some add swedges, change tip profile, etc. I'm sure he can pretty much do whatever you can dream assuming it's a wise move.

That's speaking for a guy I don't know though. I would contact him for certain =)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Having that done will void the warranty on most knives so that is something to think about before having it done especially if the knife is expensive.
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks, Blerv. I did try his website to get some general info., but it doesn't seem to be fully up and running: http://www.kreinknives.net/home.htm

I know he must do a variety of things with his mods, but often around here you will see a mention of a knife having a "Krein regrind" without any further details, which led me to believe there is some standard or typical treatment he gives Spydies.

If that's so, I'm also wondering what that means for future sharpening once a knife has been "Kreined"---can a plain old SM at 30 degrees still suffice?

Andrew
AJF

Post by AJF »

Ankerson wrote:Having that done will void the warranty on most knives so that is something to think about before having it done especially if the knife is expensive.
Thanks, Ankerson. Didn't know that. So, is that Spyderco's policy, even if the issue isn't with the blade?

Andrew
THG

Post by THG »

AJF wrote:I know he must do a variety of things with his mods, but often around here you will see a mention of a knife having a "Krein regrind" without any further details, which led me to believe there is some standard or typical treatment he gives Spydies.

If that's so, I'm also wondering what that means for future sharpening once a knife has been "Kreined"---can a plain old SM at 30 degrees still suffice?

Andrew
He can do work on any knife. I've seen regrinding done on an Emerson.

You can use a Sharpmaker at 30° as long as the angle on the bevels is ≤ 30°, which I'm sure you can request that he do for you.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

He did a swedge and a higher hollow grind on my Salt 1.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

The standard "Tom Krein Regrind" is an very thin FFG, usually about .010 wide at the point above the edge. The effect is to dramatically increase cutting performance, especially through thick materials like cardboard, plastic, and rubber. It also makes the knife easier to sharpen and maintain. Provided you don't abuse your knives, its totally worth it.

Here's some of mine that he's done:

My first was the Endura wave, about 2 years ago.

Then my Spyderco Massad Ayoob about 1 1/2 years ago.

Most recently I had my Khukuri reground, event though it was already a FFG blade it had a huge increase in slicing ability.

This things is sharp!

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

AJF wrote:Thanks, Ankerson. Didn't know that. So, is that Spyderco's policy, even if the issue isn't with the blade?
My understanding is that any change/disasssembly to the knife *technically* voids warranty but Spyderco are very sympathetic to any customer problems so they would consider anything on a case-by-case basis and my guess is (and it is just a guess) that they'd work out something for you anyway (either a spare part or a cheap goodwill fix) :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

The kook looks crazy thin!
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks, gentlemen. The explanations and photos are all very helpful. Image

Andrew
cckw

Post by cckw »

anyone want to say what you paid for the regrind?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

AJF wrote:Thanks, Ankerson. Didn't know that. So, is that Spyderco's policy, even if the issue isn't with the blade?

Andrew
If you read their warranty. :)

I can't state or talk for them on that subject. :D

The statement that I made was a general statement about the process of altering the blade grind etc and it was not just about Spyderco either.

If there is a question on warranty call the Companies and ask them about it before having the work done and be specific about it.

It makes no since blowing the warranty on an expensive knife so if something happens the customer could be out of luck and have nothing more than a paperweight if something happens.

I for one wouldn't want a $250 to $500+ paperweight I can tell you that.

It's something to think about. ;)

With the current fad of getting this done... Well that's what I call it for a lack of a better term most people never even think about it until something happens.

Anytime one is thinking about modding a knife it's smart to call the Company to make sure about the warranty before the work is done.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

You should contact Mr. Krein for a price on what you want done, but it is around $50 +/-
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My guess is if your blade chips or the tip snaps they wouldn't warranty it. Then again, it's a wear component and chances are they wouldn't anyway (as with any warranty company).

Now if your knife has lock-up issues it should be completely good. There is no reason to disassemble the knife for that work and Tom/Spyderco have an amiable relationship. It's not like you took a hammer and Dremel to the thing in your living room.

Warranties are worth having and worth keeping. Some people choose to selectively modify and in that case the risk is worth the reward. Most people that cause a guff over a warranty are looking for loopholes to thrash something or a license for freedom to dissemble it...then a golden ticket to get their money back.

Look at it this way: you Krein it and it cuts like a proverbial lightsaber. It has a lockup issue a year or two down the road. You send it to Spyderco who says hypothetically, "well it's modified but we can fix it for $20...it just won't be free."

Was the mod worth it still? IMHO, yes if that's what you value. You still have a high-performance tool.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:My guess is if your blade chips or the tip snaps they wouldn't warranty it. Then again, it's a wear component and chances are they wouldn't anyway (as with any warranty company).

Now if your knife has lock-up issues it should be completely good. There is no reason to disassemble the knife for that work and Tom/Spyderco have an amiable relationship. It's not like you took a hammer and Dremel to the thing in your living room.

Warranties are worth having and worth keeping. Some people choose to selectively modify and in that case the risk is worth the reward. Most people that cause a guff over a warranty are looking for loopholes to thrash something or a license for freedom to dissemble it...then a golden ticket to get their money back.

Look at it this way: you Krein it and it cuts like a proverbial lightsaber. It has a lockup issue a year or two down the road. You send it to Spyderco who says hypothetically, "well it's modified but we can fix it for $20...it just won't be free."

Was the mod worth it still? IMHO, yes if that's what you value. You still have a high-performance tool.
That is why I posted to call the Companies before any changes are made.

Anything else is just guessing at best, we can't assume anything.

Some come right about as state in their warranty about modifying the knives, grinds etc and those things void the warranty.

So one can't just say that said company will cover the said knife if it's been modded or charge a modest fee, that would be bad information to give out and misleading to people reading.

It could be from a modest fee to a large fee to not covering anything at all in reality.

It's not going to be free most of the time no matter what I can pretty much guarantee that if something happens to the knife.

It's the same thing as taking the knife and putting it in a vise and snapping it off with a hammer.

I wouldn't have any work done to any knife unless I had a guarantee in writing signed by the Company that it wouldn't void my warranty period.

I don't care if it's a $50 Spyderco or a $1,000 Busse, it's not going to happen.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Truthfully if he's asking non-employees on a forum it's pretty much assumes it's opinions and assumptions. I certainly don't receive a W2 from Spyderco. :)

I honestly don't see how a blade modification is anything but the definition of such. You are modifying factory equipment for a niche purpose. Risk is assumed in the process! In fact, "modification" is pretty self explanatory compared to "factory warranty".

The difference is when people assume warranties mean "free meal tickets". I want to be able to beat on my knife/tool/car and return it with NO cost to me. It's not protecting it from factory problems or even normal operation but a degree of abuse.

Like I said modify at your own risk. Call and clarify if need be. Just don't sit down with the warranty and sharpen your pencil like a legal team trying to spring someone from the slammer...because there are seldom times where you can "trick" or "coerce" the manufacturer to your will. :rolleyes:

PS:
Ankerson wrote: I wouldn't have any work done to any knife unless I had a guarantee in writing signed by the Company that it wouldn't void my warranty period.
You have many of these written, notarized, wax sealed letters laying around? How many letters from the president does it take to grind on a $40 knife's blade?

Sorry but I'd rather just risk it. It's not worth wasting other people's time for the dice toss.
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks, gentlemen, that all makes sense. "Mod at your own risk." :D

Andrew
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:Truthfully if he's asking non-employees on a forum it's pretty much assumes it's opinions and assumptions. I certainly don't receive a W2 from Spyderco. :)

I honestly don't see how a blade modification is anything but the definition of such. You are modifying factory equipment for a niche purpose. Risk is assumed in the process! In fact, "modification" is pretty self explanatory compared to "factory warranty".

The difference is when people assume warranties mean "free meal tickets". I want to be able to beat on my knife/tool/car and return it with NO cost to me. It's not protecting it from factory problems or even normal operation but a degree of abuse.

Like I said modify at your own risk. Call and clarify if need be. Just don't sit down with the warranty and sharpen your pencil like a legal team trying to spring someone from the slammer...because there are seldom times where you can "trick" or "coerce" the manufacturer to your will. :rolleyes:

PS:

You have many of these written, notarized, wax sealed letters laying around? How many letters from the president does it take to grind on a $40 knife's blade?

Sorry but I'd rather just risk it. It's not worth wasting other people's time for the dice toss.
The reason I brought this up in the 1st place because I wanted to point out the fact of the warranties etc.

I can't even count how many times I have read to the effect that knives are still covered etc. People spreading bad information on the forums.

Some people really do believe that they can do anything they want to a knife and it should be covered or as you said they try and get over.

It really should be a given that doing any mods will threaten the warranty on almost any knife from any company.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:PS:

I don't have my knives modded at all unless the Company does them for me then I know it's covered. ;)

I currently have one in the Busse Custom Shop getting worked on. :D

Otherwise if I want something else I have a custom knife made to my specs.