Wooden lockable case for storing spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jrara

Wooden lockable case for storing spydercos

Post by jrara »

I'm searching a wooden lockable case for storing my spydercos and other knives. I have searched from the internet stores but could not find anything. Could you give me a hint where I can find that kind of a case. Internet store is preferably (e.g Amazon).
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I would tell you to source out either at a wood shop or th einternet patterns to build one on your own.

This way you could get the materials within your budget, build it with slots or whatever, and have the satisfaction of it being your own.

Its not as hard as you think.

Barring that, go to a cigar shop and ask for a few of their higher quality wooden boxes they have left over. Thats what I have, and they were free.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Is this what you are thinking of?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/26-Oak- ... hest/H7716

I've had good experiences with Grizzly Tools.

There are more expensive boxes out there, but for the money, this should serve you well.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
unit

Post by unit »

Another option is a Pelican Case.

It is not wood and could never be mistaken for wood, but they are fantastic water proof storage solutions for things like knives. Quite reasonable and portable too.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
ruger95

Post by ruger95 »

Ed Schempp

Gerstner Chests

Post by Ed Schempp »

AG Russell I believe bought Gerstner chests. Check them out. I bought one for my wife as a jewelry box many years ago. UPS delivered and she signed for it thinking it was a machinist tool box. It was a good surprise one Christmas. They are the boxes that Grizzly copied...Take Care...Ed
TimmyBoston

Post by TimmyBoston »

Ed Schempp wrote:AG Russell I believe bought Gerstner chests. Check them out. I bought one for my wife as a jewelry box many years ago. UPS delivered and she signed for it thinking it was a machinist tool box. It was a good surprise one Christmas. They are the boxes that Grizzly copied...Take Care...Ed
+1 on the Gerstner chests. I have a vintage one that I love.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

unit wrote:Another option is a Pelican Case.

It is not wood and could never be mistaken for wood, but they are fantastic water proof storage solutions for things like knives. Quite reasonable and portable too.
It's been my choice too. This video helped me decide to go that route: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Wolr-Djt8. I prefer to keep the knives in their boxes and I primarily use it for storing knives I don't access very often.

For another hobby I have a multi-tray custom built wood case with interior dividers which are lined with Vellux (soft, short-pile, no snag blanket material). Vellux is a good material if you want protection of knives outside of their boxes. The case looks like fine furniture and built like a tank.
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

I just picked this one up from Grizzly:

It's reasonable and fits nicely on my desk next to my monitor. The only annoying part was that I need to stick it in front of a fan for 4 days to get rid of the volatiles still coming off the finish...
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

LOL, well for the price, it might be worth it. that just made me laugh out loud reading it tho... Those fumes can be a real pain!

Those Gerstners are beautiful, but i could buy a lot of knives for that price.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I found one like the pic above at Lowes a couple of years ago. Not expensive but OK for the money.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have one of the small International Gerstner's my wife got me for Christmas.

FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

ruger95 wrote:I have these no complaints

http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-draw ... 94538.html
IS that site legitimate? Cause that's exactly what Im looking for at the price Im looking for. :P
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FissionMailed wrote:IS that site legitimate? Cause that's exactly what Im looking for at the price Im looking for. :P
Yes, it's legit. They have stores too, there's one over in Albany.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

That chest at harborfreight looks MUCH better that the one I got at Lowes, I will have to check it out. Thanks for the link.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Yep. It's no Gerstner, but the HF chest is nice, better than you would expect for the money. It actually has real wood, granted it's light, but it's not paper covered sawdust and glue.

If you get on their mailing list and check coupons at the bottom also, you can catch it for $65 or so. That is how I got mine a couple years ago. Just make sure you print the coupon/flyer off and take it with you.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal