Anyone bought a Tenacious lately?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Anyone bought a Tenacious lately?

Post by flash900 »

How's the retention on recent production? Tighter lockup than on those early review videos where users report shedding blood?

I've seen a few comments suggesting that the Persistence, a newer model, is better made in this regard. (And I have two P's whose lockup I would rate as close to perfect.)

Can anyone say the same for current production of the Tenacious? Or is retention still an issue?

Thanks.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
tac

Post by tac »

I've picked up two Tenacious and a Persistence in the last couple months. Lockup (retention?) on all three is as perfect as all the rest of my Spydie's. No issues whatsoever.
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
rycen

Post by rycen »

I think he is refering to the detent (sp) or tension holding the blade closed.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

If you are referring to the couple of reports of substandard closed detent, then let me reassure you that I have had a PE and SE Tenacious for several years and had zero incidents. I also have a Per that does seem to have stronger detent. A couple of reports on the web should really be taken with a grain of salt.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
flash900

Post by flash900 »

I'm considering a Tenacious for a gift. My question refers to reports that some people have received versions of the T that don't stay closed leading to accidents.

Here's one from nutnfancy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLvRNpi-vxw

Here's another, click on about 6:55 minutes into the review where the blade falls open:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SrHFJjpHTY

I've seen no such reports lately and hopefully Spyderco has solved whatever problem there was and current T's are as safe as the P. Or maybe the T has been out long enough that there are no new reviews.

I'm simply trying to do a due diligence. No one would want to gift a knife that has problems.

Hence my question: has anyone bought a Tenacious recently who can speak to this?

Thanks.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
araneae

Post by araneae »

Seen the video, I'd have cut him too if he put me in a fanny pack. As I said there has never been a "problem" with either of the Tenacious that I own so I doubt there is a problem now.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I can shake open any of my knives too if I wanted them to open that way. Never had one opened in my pocket though. That was his own fault he got cut. Luckily he didn't blindly reach for a gun in there he probably would've shot himself. I messed around with a Tenacious at a gun show recently. The opening and closing of the one I held felt pretty firm, not loose at all.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I bought a Tenacious in January 2010 (my 1st Spyderco!) and it has no issues. It takes a lot of force to shake it open. Lock up is solid too. I wouldn't hesitate to give a Tenacious or Persistence.
:bug-red-white
flash900

Post by flash900 »

gbelleh wrote:I bought a Tenacious in January 2010 (my 1st Spyderco!) and it has no issues. It takes a lot of force to shake it open. Lock up is solid too. I wouldn't hesitate to give a Tenacious or Persistence.
Thanks -- exactly what I needed to know!
prime77

Post by prime77 »

I got two Persistance in the mail yesterday. One for me and one for a graduation present. Both were great as far as Fit and finish was concerned. The lock up on both are really good as well no blade play at all.
ruger95

Post by ruger95 »

Two Tenacious bought 3 weeks ago and 1 Persistance bought a week ago. Mine feel solid, no complaints.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Thanks folks -- just placed my order!

I asked the dealer to check the in-handle retention and hopefully he will.

The last dealer I asked to check the goods said, we don't do that.........
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I bought a Persistence first, and the retention was an obvious upgrade. A little while ago I bought a Tenacious, and it is just as good as its little brother. I think they've rectified the problem.

Both excellent knives for the price. Enjoy them!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have (and love) a Tenacious, but it did bite me when I was carrying it tip-up in a regular pocket. I think the extra length and weight of the blade makes the detent a little less effective than on the Persistence, but AFAIK that is just my opinion - I have not carried both regularly to see.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Metric

Post by Metric »

I have one from about 2 years ago and EDC'd it for about a year -- detent always worked great, for me. I too cut myself, but it wasn't because of that!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the lack of ricasso/choil is a more frequent cause of bleeding via thumb unlocking.

Detent problems can be solved with proper pocket carry. Hard for a blade to opened when tucked against the side of a pocket.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Yes, I recommend putting it against the side of a pocket or tip-down *especially* if you ever put anything else in the same pocket.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Metric

Post by Metric »

Blerv wrote:I think the lack of ricasso/choil is a more frequent cause of bleeding via thumb unlocking.
That was definitely it for me. First day, practising closing left handed, but it was my middle or index finger that took a good chop near the liner lock (don't remember which).
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Those of you who've been bitten by Mr. T. -- do you think the longer blade is an issue?

I ask because I've had no problems with the smaller Persistence.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Metric wrote:That was definitely it for me. First day, practising closing left handed, but it was my middle or index finger that took a good chop near the liner lock (don't remember which).
You are definitely not alone on that one. I swear I've seen a couple video reviews where the person chopped their finger DURING the filming! :eek:

I guess cheap knives aren't supposed to be so **** quick and sharp. The Tenacious has been a learning curve for everyone, IMHO.