Very impressed with Poliwog

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Very impressed with Poliwog

Post by dbcad »

I only got this knife yesterday and have only been handling it, but I can tell already it will one of my favorite small blade users. It's coming with me to work tomorrow.

The shear attractiveness of the smooth unbroken curve when opened is what attracted me. Then it looks like some kind exotic sea creature when closed (don't ask me what..lol).

The comfortable grip is outstanding. The confidence that the grip and ball lock give to it is inspiring. I'm sure it will function as well as it looks.
It's only drawback is the width closed, but without that closed width you wouldn't have what I love about it.

My hat is off to Mr Eric Glesser for the vision that inspired this jewel. For me it is a must have.

Charlie
Attachments
poliwog.jpg
poliwog.jpg (58.14 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

This little gem has intrigued me for a while. Love the curved design but dismissed it due to its short blade. But after handling one for the first time several months ago I was immediately taken by the natural and comfortable fit in my hand. I still wonder about the practicality of such a short and wide blade as an EDC, and also how comfortably the folded knife carries due to its wide width? Also wonder if a FFG blade would be desireable?

Interested to hear from others who actually carry and use this interesting design.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Hmmm...no love for the Poliwog it appears. DBCAD - Guess your the only one who plans to EDC this one. Let me know what you think after you put it thru it's paces.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Good thing popularity is no indicator of worth.

The Poliwog is the best little big knife ever in my book.
I just wish they would do a ZDP-189 run. I only have the stainless version, but the G-10 keeps taunting me.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Hey Mako, all it had a chance to cut so far was some paper at work and some clothesline rope for wife's upcoming tag sale. It's only a matter of time before something more robust comes. The feel is one of complete control with a five fingered grip. I wouldn't hesitate to try a 1" manilla rope if the opportunity arose. Just holding the Poliwog in a cutting grip inspires confidence.

It is rather wide in the pocket, but my right hand pocket is reserved for knives anyway :)

This knife relieved my Walker as my small EDC for now (my knives get rotated in a haphazrd way). It's still relatively new to me so we'll see what happens.

It's super smooth action is a real trip.

Charlie
Charlie

LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Joshua J. wrote:Good thing popularity is no indicator of worth.

The Poliwog is the best little big knife ever in my book.
I just wish they would do a ZDP-189 run. I only have the stainless version, but the G-10 keeps taunting me.
I have to agree with everything you just said.
henk1966

Post by henk1966 »

this is one on my wishlist,love the design :)
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

Eric sure does enjoy designing little tanks!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The ball-lock gives very smooth-opening knives with a very solid lock-up. I have the D'Allara and love the way it handles but I do find the ball-lock a bit hard to close one-handed because my thumbs are a bit weak.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'd be up for a ZDP run of the Poliwog. I used to be leary of the unconvential looking Spydercos. As time goes on I'm seeing how wonderful and useful they are. :D

Charlie
Charlie

Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

ChrisR wrote:The ball-lock gives very smooth-opening knives with a very solid lock-up. I have the D'Allara and love the way it handles but I do find the ball-lock a bit hard to close one-handed because my thumbs are a bit weak.
I've never manipulated the ball lock with only one thumb. I use my thumb and middle finger on the ball, and push the blade in with my index finger.
I don't have enough thumbnail to catch the ball.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
daundu

Post by daundu »

I really want to test drive the Poliwog. I've handled them, but I really want to try cutting all sorts of different consistencies to see how the ergonomics hold up.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I plan on picking one up whenever I can find a deal on a SS version.
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

my favorite spyderco by far. i have the ss version
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
ruger95

Post by ruger95 »

Have just loved, from the time I saw it on the web through when I ordered and receive one and first touched it
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have the SS Version and really like it.It's going to be like a Dodo one day.They will have to be Discoed before they will be appreciated.Get you a Wog while you can before they are gone. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p