2 3/4" "Sage like" knife.Did I dream this?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

2 3/4" "Sage like" knife.Did I dream this?

Post by gull wing »

Did I read somewhere, that Sal was working on a 2 3/4" blade Sage?
Seems like? :confused:
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gull Wing.

Yes, we have a design completed. At least the pattern. We also have a Titanium scale designed, should we choose to do that.

The question now, besides development time, is "lock or Slipit", if lock, which one?

sal
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

A mini-Sage huh?
I would say go with a lock, what lock then?
What if you went with the original Sage-line and made it a tribute to something?
A mini-Sage, hmmm... Who's the pioneer of little big knives again? Oh yea, Spyderco :spyder: .
Now, what kind of innovative locks has Spyderco come up with?
Oh yea, the Ball Bearing Lock. So maybe a carbon fiber or G10 (A funky color please?) with a Ball Bearing Lock, caged or un-caged.
Or maybe the Compression Lock, or maybe you could crank it up a notch and make a mini-Sage with Ti-handles with a titanium Compression Framelock! :eek:

Sould you go either way, I'll get one, even if you don't, I'll probably get one anyway. :D
But IMHO those are the two smoothest, strongest locks I have ever seen, you should use 'em more. :)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

:D SUPER! It's my dream.
What a great add to the line. Being just 1/4" less the blade is still very useful but just a little more discreet.

Oh, a titanium framelock with a textured G10 scale on the other side :)
would be my go.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I vote for a "lock" version. If it's made out of titanium, then I would have to say go for the RIL. For a regular model I would be happy with a back-lock/mid-lock.

Sal, any chance we could see your "Stop Lock" on this model? I'm anxious about seeing/trying it out.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Another slipit? Oh Yeah!
chipped

Post by chipped »

I think the Sage and UKPK have the most ergonomically "evolved" handles so more variations of both are a good thing. A lot of people seem to want locking UKPKs for example, and the Sages are highly regarded.

On the one hand there already is a small Slipit, the Urban, but on the other hand it might be a huge market and the Native already fits that size and shape (roughly) for a locker.

I guess it depends on how the FRN UKPKs are selling. I don't think it'd sell badly as a locker but it might sell really well as a Slipit if overall they are selling well. If it was a locker it'd have to compete with many more designs in those markets.
Pete2s

Post by Pete2s »

Ti Framelock + G10. I think the Leaf Storm is the only Spyderco model to currently do this.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

LOCK. PLEASE MAKE IT A LOCK VERSION!!! it would appeal to more people anyways. I think walker liner lock or ril would be most appropriate.
tac

Post by tac »

Lock please. Any type of lock is preferable to a slipit.
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

a Titanium Mini-Sage2??? yup that about wraps it up!

Love that design!
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

Pete2s wrote:Ti Framelock + G10. I think the Leaf Storm is the only Spyderco model to currently do this.
The Chokwe is another Ti framelock and G10.

Another vote for Ti Framelock + G10 (unlined orange). The Leafstorm ergos just don't do it or me like the Urban so make it very Urban like. I'd also buy a 1/4' bigger locking urban as well.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Not a fan of Ti.

Seeing as how the Cat and Chicago just got axed a Walker lock would fit nicely. Or how about a Bolt-action lock!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

mini CBB lock with Ti-slabs would just about do it for me. I dont care what steel you put in it as I will buy it regardless.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Creepo wrote:Oh yea, the Ball Bearing Lock. So maybe a carbon fiber or G10 (A funky color please?) with a Ball Bearing Lock, caged or un-caged.
Or maybe the Compression Lock. . .
Domanfp wrote:mini CBB lock with Ti-slabs
BBL wouldn't fit since the regular size Sage is already said to be probably too small to fit it. But a compression lock would be cool; it's a strong and innovative lock that we've seen surprisingly little of.
THG

Post by THG »

2.75"? Seriously? Isn't the Sage 3"? Hmm...
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

SaturnNyne wrote:BBL wouldn't fit since the regular size Sage is already said to be probably too small to fit it. But a compression lock would be cool; it's a strong and innovative lock that we've seen surprisingly little of.
Too small? Huh? How about the Dodo and Poliwog aren't those small knives with a BB lock? Or is the new CBB different?
But an evenly good alternative is the Compression Lock, frame or liner.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Creepo wrote:Too small? Huh? How about the Dodo and Poliwog aren't those small knives with a BB lock? Or is the new CBB different?
But an evenly good alternative is the Compression Lock, frame or liner.
I don't know how they differ in size or where it was originally mentioned but here's confirmation of it from Deacon: http://spyderco.net/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=6
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

SaturnNyne wrote:I don't know how they differ in size or where it was originally mentioned but here's confirmation of it from Deacon: http://spyderco.net/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=6
I don't doubt your info but I was just surprised.
dj moonbat

With the right lock, that's pretty much my dream knife

Post by dj moonbat »

My first post!

If you can make this small Sage with either a Compression Lock, bolt action lock, or CBBL, I think I can promise to buy no fewer than 3 -- I've got family members who would go bonkers over one.

But if it's a liner or frame lock, lockback, or a slipit, no can do. I want a knife that locks, and one that I can close single-handed, without putting a digit in the arc of the closing blade.

(Incidentally, if that Dialex Junior prototype comes in at under 3" blade length, I'll be all over that sucker, too. Maybe a Dialex the Third?)