the best spyderco stabber

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
krajos

the best spyderco stabber

Post by krajos »

Hello guys,

Which of the current Spyderco line folders do you consider to be the best stabber? The one you stab a hard object with and you do not have to worry that your fingers will end up on the edge :eek: + the blade shape would make it easy to stab.

For me the winners are - 1. Barong :) , closely followed by 2. Chinnok.
What do you think?
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Your right on both counts, but I'd rank the Chinook as numero uno.

Stronger lock-up I believe. No risk of the blade closing on your fingers.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

HotSoup wrote:Your right on both counts, but I'd rank the Chinook as numero uno.

Stronger lock-up I believe. No risk of the blade closing on your fingers.
Chinook is a good choice, designed for reverse grip stabbing.

I'd go with the Manix 2 since the Barong is not a current model.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JD Spydo

C-60 Ayoob & FB-03 fixed

Post by JD Spydo »

Personally my all time favorite Spyderco self defense folder is the C-60 Massad Ayoob model. SO I would have to rank it the best overall Self Defense Spyderco folder ever made up till now.

However I personally wouldn't want to use a folder for something that serious. There is one Spyderco fixed blade that I've always thought would be an excellent knife for such purposes. The FB-03 Bob Lum Tanto fixed blade I've always thought was the best overall SD Spyder made to date.

I keep hoping and praying that they will do a sprint run of that blade with VG-10 or one of the other newer blade steels.

To me the Spyderco Massad Ayoob is without a doubt the best folder designed for SD. But again my first choice would be a really stout fixed blade like the Spyderco LUM.

Let's hope none of us ever have to put that to the test :(
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

The Street Beat is a mighty fine stabber. It's deep finger choil is more than adequate to stop your hand running up into the blade. It's also great for a reverse grip and a Pikal grip.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the Endura Wave Trainer. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Donut wrote:I think the Endura Wave Trainer. :)
:cool:

i see what you did there. :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Maybe I'm nuts, but if I had to use a folder for stabbing trees, I'd take one with a leaf or spear point blade, or even a drop point, over an upswept clip point like the Chinook. Original, full size Manix would be my first choice, but of the current stuff, I'd take the Manix 2. Ti framelock Military would be my second choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
krajos

Post by krajos »

another great blade shape would be catcherman, I guess? But the fingers.... :eek:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Not in any order

The:
Zowada
Police 3
E3/D3
Renegade/ Black hawk
Centofante C50
J.D.Smith
Calypso C54
Stretch
Manix

Temperance
Both Perrins
Lum Tanto
Ronin

Mule team

I agree with Paul, regarding Leaf style blades especially the ones that are ground thin with a distal taper. There are more not included in the list but these are all suitable, preferably in PE, which works better in penetrating.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I vote for the Manix 2. The handle along with all the jimping gives it an amazing grip.
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Native, Manix 2 and Zowada
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Native PE
:spyder: Sage I
:spyder: Pacific Salt
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue
:spyder: Manix2 Blue Lightweight
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I vote for the poh-lice or Chokwe. If you're stabbing something really tough though (where tip strength starts to become an issue, not just stabby pointiness), I'd go with a Manix 2 or maybe a Delica.. one of the thick bladed leaf shaped knives with a strong lock.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Ronin or Yojimbo, neither current.
Pete2s

Post by Pete2s »

The Deacon wrote:Maybe I'm nuts, but if I had to use a folder for stabbing trees, I'd take one with a leaf or spear point blade, or even a drop point, over an upswept clip point like the Chinook. Original, full size Manix would be my first choice, but of the current stuff, I'd take the Manix 2. Ti framelock Military would be my second choice.

I can't agree with your second choice; the Ti Military barely has any finger guard and lacks the friction of the G-10.
krajos

Post by krajos »

Sequimite wrote:Chinook is a good choice, designed for reverse grip stabbing.

I'd go with the Manix 2 since the Barong is not a current model.
I believe that Barong is a current model. ****, it reminds me that I have only one Barong and that is not enough.... ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

HotSoup wrote: :cool:

i see what you did there. :p
It wasn't as shiny as I had imagined. :p

I guess I have a question as to why we would be stabbing a hard object in the first place. My experience leads me to believe I would never need to stab a hard object.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

well... the police was based on a modified mariner, for the purpose of stabbing into drug packages... but the kris is based on a LONG tradition and designed for stabbing.

**gets out a coin and flips**

kris win this round.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

if you are really worried about your fingers slipping and getting cut, i say the caspian salt with the pointy tip for obvious reasons :p . i can guarantee you wont....no scratch that..you know the saying "build something idiot-proof and they will make a better idiot" ;) so lets just say i find it highly unlikey that your fingers will slip onto the blade of the caspian if you are gripping it correctly.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
krajos

Post by krajos »

hard objects... - you know what I am mean :) Yellow pages of course! Try to take your knive and stab a wood...and you will realize right away if your grip is good or not. Same with lets say a bone. ;)