Jimping on bladespine

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MANIXWORLD

Jimping on bladespine

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I have to say that every foldingknife should have jimping on its spine,specialy if its a knife,molds to your hand and feels like an extention of your hand. Jimping just gives that more secure feel when using a foldingknife.Nice secure grip,probably even makes the cutting and slicing job quicker and more precise.Folding knives without jimping on the spine or any jimping just dont have that nice of a feel in hand and usage for myself.
Noble

Post by Noble »

I feel the same way. Jimping, when done right is a great thing. What i dont like is sharp or shallow jimping.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I really like jimping on my knives but, I think there are exceptions. IMO if there are good designs in the knife you can still get a very good grip without jimping. The Calypso for example with the steep thumb ramp, finger choil, and curve of the handle that fills your hand give a very secure grip. I can do everything with this knife that I would with my Police 3 and still feel secure in my hand.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
RockyMatt

Agreed

Post by RockyMatt »

I too am a huge fan of jimping on knives and Spyderco really spoils us by doing it well and on a ton of their knives.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I love jimping (especially the one on my Salt 1). My only problem with it is that some people may feel too secure when using a knife and that may lead to an accident. Just because a knife has jimping or a thumb ramp doesn't mean you can just beat on it. In other words, enjoy the extras that Spyderco puts into their knives but always handle them the utmost attention. ;)
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Noble wrote:I feel the same way. Jimping, when done right is a great thing. What i dont like is sharp or shallow jimping.
This is where i just adore the S30V Native with its rough jimping and my Lonewolf T1 folder with kind of similar jimping..Great for bigger digits.
DrBlade

Post by DrBlade »

I love jimping but I have to say a good thumb ramp and choil can do wonders for knife grip. When i buy a knife it's like jimpimg is a given now and a good thumb ramp and choil are what I look for next.
:spyder: Delica, SageCF and TI, Dragonfly G-10, Persistance, Balance, Lum Ti, Economy
Wish I still had; Barong, Lava
Wish they made; CF Dragonfly, CF Lava
Thank You BladeOps.com for my new Dragonfly!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I like small, sharp/hard jimping like seen on most Spyderco knives. Typical examples would be the kind seen on the spines of the Delica/Endura, Atlantic Salt and so forth.

I do not like soft or melted jimping like Kershaw uses on a lot of their blades. I feel it is actually worse than a smooth surface. I also don't like big fat jimps like on the Boker SubCom. I found it extremely uncomfortable for anything other than light cutting.
I have to say a good thumb ramp and choil can do wonders for knife grip.
I concur. The Barong and Khukri lack jimping but the grips on both knives are extremely good and the hand position is such that jimping is not really missed.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I would rather have no jimping than bad jimping, but jimping that's done well is good. I tend to prefer the really sharp small jimping, like that found on the Manix 2. Most other jimpings like, say, the kind found on the Sage, doesn't seem to do much for me as far as traction goes.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

JIMPjimpJIMPjimpJIMPjimp
JiMpJiMpJiMpJiMp
JImpJImpJImpJImp
jiMPjiMPjiMPjiMP
jImPjImPjImPjImP
& keep on JiMpJiMpJiMpInG
I just cant get enough, Manix 2 is close.
O.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

MANIXWORLD wrote:I have to say that every foldingknife should have jimping on its spine,specialy if its a knife,molds to your hand and feels like an extention of your hand. Jimping just gives that more secure feel when using a foldingknife.Nice secure grip,probably even makes the cutting and slicing job quicker and more precise.Folding knives without jimping on the spine or any jimping just dont have that nice of a feel in hand and usage for myself.
If your cutting correctly with a knife that has proper ergonomics (which is almost every spyderco ever made) most jimping is unnecessary. My thumb is never up on the ramp because I prefer it locking my index finger from sliding up the blade. That said, this is a grip preference for me and not for everyone.

Thumb ramps/jimping is nice on precise work but putting more pressure than a few pounds of torque on a choked-up/choil type grip isn't very safe. All my "high pressure" uses for a blade are in pull-cut situations such as blister packs from Costco, etc.

Some models almost force you to use the thumb ramp/choil and jimping such as the Lava, Caly3, etc. It makes it the most comfortable grip and I see a great purpose for it. Does the Spyderhawk (or any pull cut) knife need jimping? Not really. Does the Stretch need a serious thumb ramp? Not for me because the handle has a DEEP bolster/guard on both ends.

Don't get me wrong, I like jimping on most knives. It gives extra security and looks to some models. I'm not a rabid jimping fan because I've never relied on it or had it save me.

In my opinion, G10 and jimping doesn't make a knife great; knife designers do. Chrome wheels on an old 80's Chrysler Lebaron doesn't make it a good car =)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:Does the Stretch need a serious thumb ramp? Not for me because the handle has a DEEP bolster/guard on both ends.
I disagree. The ramp is vital, although not as a guard. Without it, the Spyderhole would have to be in a less perfect position, or the handle a less perfect shape. Since it's there, it might as well offer as much traction as possible. Can't hurt, might help. Even if you're not gorilla gripping a knife, things can get slippery. Don't believe me? Try peeling and cubing half a dozen avocados sometime.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

+1 for jimping....if it's a folder or fixed blade...if there is no jimping on the spine I won't buy it....it is an important element for a fighting knife specially if using a filipino grip style hold.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dete

Post by dete »

If the spine area can be gripped then jimping would be a minus,
but if it's only for the fingers then I add my vote :)

I can't say I'm a big fan of jimping on the linerlock release
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

dete wrote:If the spine area can be gripped then jimping would be a minus,
but if it's only for the fingers then I add my vote :)

I can't say I'm a big fan of jimping on the linerlock release
Jimping on the bladespine and back of handle..ofcourse the thumb and forefinger puts pressure down on the knife,whilst cutting and slicing for me,unless you are doing reverse,pull cuts like with a hawkbill blade,then jimping on the bladespine wouldnt be much of an issue.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am a rabid fan of thumb ramp jimping on almost any knife. I add jimping to many of my knives that don't have it and have never thought it was better without jimping. Jimp away Spyderco!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

More jimping please!
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Let All knives have jimping from now on! I vote jimping...
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

I disagree strongly.

1) fighting knives should have jimping? Ancient fighting knives (even a lot of modern knives) didn't had jimping. In medieval times people used weapons without jimping. Daggers didn't had jimping, original karambits didn't had jimping, original bowies didn't had jimping, the same for kukri's, etc. The knives of the samourai didn't had jimping.

2) jimping gives you a better grip? No i don't think so. It's all about handle design/material. Take the spyderco poliwog for example or the böker turbine, spyderco khukuri. These knives don't have jimping on the spine and the grip is rocksolid. No need for jimping at all.

3) outdoor knives are in no need for jimping. Let's take a look at fällkniven. Does the f1, s1, a1, a2, thor, odin, etc. have jimping? No because no need for it. Trust me i hacked away some bushes and small trees with my njord and the knife didn't go anywere. Another example the spyderco bushcraft.

4) yeah but for accurate jobs you need jimping! Wel kitchen knives don't have jimping, a puuko doesn't have jimping, a opinel don't have jimping etc.

Jimping is overhyped, it's completely unnecesary and guys like nutnfancy overreact. It is a modern feature and people start to say that a knife is bad if it has no jimping. What a joke!

Mankind, warior cultures, primitive cultures, developed cultures handled for centuries knives, tools and weapons without any jimping and everything went fine.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Hello, this is quite an old thread but since I commented favorably for jimping, I'll just say that I still find it to be an useful feature. BTW, I don't think the point of this thread was ever about the lack of jimping as being bad, it's more about correctly done jimping to be a good modern feature, much like thumbholes and pocket clips on folders.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral