Why isn't FFG more popular?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

I can't think of a single knife that I wouldn't prefer to have a full flat ground blade on. I wish the Delica and Endura were standard FFG and didn't cost $100. Where is the FRN Delica FFGs? Why can't I buy a Delica for $50 with a FFG blade? Are only rich people allow the virtues of FFG?

Is it because people are morons and can't be trusted with a delicate and thin blade? I noticed that Spyderco has beefed up the Delica and Endura almost to the point of making it less useful. I miss the pointy tips and thinner blades. Sometimes less is more.
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

kgriggs8 wrote: Is it because people are morons and can't be trusted with a delicate and thin blade?
Pretty close, actually. (I believe) Sal said that they beefed the Delica's tip and such in order to decrease breakage. Sal probably doesn't think that people are morons, rather, he has a realistic view of what many people do with knives (pry, screwdriver, ect)
kgriggs8 wrote: I can't think of a single knife that I wouldn't prefer to have a full flat ground blade on. I wish the Delica and Endura were standard FFG and didn't cost $100. Where is the FRN Delica FFGs? Why can't I buy a Delica for $50 with a FFG blade? Are only rich people allow the virtues of FFG?
FFG FRN Stretch, coming soon! :cool:
".........I've been called an "enemy of the planet" for not living within walking distance of where I work and shop - by a guy with six kids! Needless to say he was a bit upset when I suggested he walk home and drown four or five of them."

-The Deacon
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd imagine most dealers are a bit perturbed already over the number of different "flavors" of Delicas and Enduras they need to stock. Not to mention getting any kind of agreement on exactly how they should be configured. Make then in PE and someone else will bemoan the fact they aren't available in SE, or CE. Make them in VG-10 and someone else will demand ZDP-189. Make them black and there will be cries for blue, green, pink, orange, and probably a few other colors as well.

You could always look for a good deal on a regular one and have Tom Krein do a FFG on it. You'd save a bit compared to the G-10 version. Or wait for the FRN Stretch, street price for the VG-10 one should be well below that of the G-10 Endura. Or buy a Tenacious and save even more.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have to admit I am not the biggest fan of FFG,but I do see the advantges of it, and that is "slicing".I would rather leave a little meat on a blade myself.I would prefer a high flat grind.I do have many spydie models that have FFG blades, but it just isn't my favorite.The new Manix looks killer to me because it dosen't have a FFG blade. :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I like the flat saber grind on the plainedge D4's. i feel they are good and tough workknives,that you dont need to worry too much about..but i have to say that i realy digg the look of Mr.David Lowry's D4 ZDP model with the Tom Krein FFG done on it,just looks superb and i would lov to see its slicing and cuttingpower..specialy with a ZDP blade..
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

kgriggs8 wrote:Where is the FRN Delica FFGs? Why can't I buy a Delica for $50 with a FFG blade? Are only rich people allow the virtues of FFG?
Then you should be very excited about the $65 FFG Native forum knife coming out this fall. You'll get a better value than your wished for $50 FFG Delica.
swadeblade

Awed By Krein Regrinds

Post by swadeblade »

Here is my Endura with a Krein Regrind. I am awed by the performance of this knife.

I sent 3 knives for the FFG job: E4 VG10 (pictured above), E4 ZDP189 and a D4 VG10. The 3 are pictured below:

dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Tom does a great job when it comes to regrinding and his knives are awsome anyway.

I guess the regular user likes the hollow grindlines more and this is something to be taken into consideration. Besides, sometimes a hollow (or flat) grind is better than a full flat one.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I've seen non-AFI's in action, and its not pretty. Stabbing into rough materials, prying, cutting stuff on concrete, and general carlessness is the norm.

My brohab already has a mm missing from the tip of his E4WSE, and has also managed to roll most of the scallops-and he's only had the knife for about 2 months now, and he lives in suburbia doing mundane tasks. :rolleyes:

I love FFG, but you have to earn it. The majority of users are not ready.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Well, while I think the previous speakers already covered all aspects I would have mentioned, I still won't let pass this opportunity to show off my two custom FFG knives - again :D

Here they are:

First, the D4W I actually am EDCing right now. It is definitely true that this zero grind knife is a little delicate to use; a tiny little bit of the tip broke off when I first put it to use after the regrind (and I didn't abuse it!), but I could fix that during a quick touch-up on the SM. It just features a little "rounder" tip by now:

This ZDP E4 was stained quite a bit before I decided to give it the FFG treatment; this time though, it was ground just like a stock FFG Spydie would look like, so no zero grind here. Makes it a lot sturdier and IMO just as strong as the original grind:

Dennis
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

With all due respect, I think FFG is extremely popular. In the past 6-12 months or so, it has been FFG mania here on the forum. Tom Krein seems to be very busy. In fact, I am thinking of sending a couple his way.
sal

Post by sal »

Let's see how the FFG FRN Stretch is received.

As Paul mentioned, we don't need more flavors of Delica's. In fact we coiuld do with fewer.

The conversion has been planned for some time but we like to move slowly on major design changes to popular models.

sal
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

sal wrote:Let's see how the FFG FRN Stretch is received.

As Paul mentioned, we don't need more flavors of Delica's. In fact we coiuld do with fewer.

The conversion has been planned for some time but we like to move slowly on major design changes to popular models.

sal
Sal, people are going to love that knife. I like FRN, I love my Stretch 2, so I don't know if I will be able to not get one. I know the Stretch CF is an "afi" piece, but the FRN versions should be very well recieved with their price to performance ratio, especially with 2 premium steels being offered. Maybe that is my heart talking, but I just can't see people not buying those knives if they actually read the specs and handle the knives to feel the tremendous ergonomics. The FFG can be an eye opener performance wise for people, as I remember my R2 cutting so much better through cardboard than my Endura 3 that the whole issue of "geometry cuts" finally started sinking in. The Stretch FRN is just going to be too good of a knife to sit on shelves unsold, IMO.

Mike
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As an afi I agree with Gunmike. It should be such a great cutting knife , and good bargain that it gets received well. I plan on getting at least two ZDP models, but..... There is the whole economy thing. A lot of people are cutting back spending in a big way. Then there's the whole trend towards smaller knives too.

We'll see. I'll buy my share. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

3.5" blade, ZDP-189 or VG-10, great ergos and lightweight make the Stretch FRN a huge winner in my mind. Of course as Joe points out the economy could be a killer. I personally find the ergo upgrades, much better cutting via FFG, and the finger choil to easily make the Stretch FRN worth the premiums over comparable Enduras, but a NKP with financial concerns looking at Spydercos might choose the Endura, or worse a cheap POS knife. We'll have to see how the sales pan out once the Stretch FRN is released. Hopefully the FRN will bring the greatness of the Stretch to a much wider audience and the sales aren't limited to Afi's. Sometimes I forget how little NKP know about what makes a knife good, and the ergos and FFG performance advantages might not shine through the rather subdued (I like it for that) exterior to draw someone in to buy the Stretch FRN opposed to a lesser performing but "cooler" looking competitor. Unfortunately unless they browse the forums or have a good proprietor at a local brick and mortar store they may never understand what makes a knife cut and work well. I can only hope that buyers newer to knives decide to research their purchases in these times where you really try to maximize a buck and find the forums to see just how good a model like the Stretch FRN is. I know I do lots of research on almost all of my purchases these days, I can only hope knife consumers become more informed on their purchases in these days of easy access to information on the Internet. I know the forums are where I learned Spydercos and their "hump back" profiles, opening holes, finger choils, and other features are are what make a knife a great performer once I started using them.

Mike
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the kind words.

Spyderco kinives are rarely sold to NKP's. A certain amount of knowledge is required to find Spyderco's appealing.

sal
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I love my FFG Spydies..... BUT , and here it is..... Some knives do look better with a hollow grind/ sabre grind... any other grind you can think of.

I just posted some pics of a micarta JD Smith PE. IMHO it looks better than the FG G10 version which is a FFG. When the FG JD Smith was announced I got excited and prototype pics were showing a blade design which matched the old micarta ones. I was so excited.... then the Smith was released and I was a tad disappointed to see that it was a FFG. BUT, having said that it is a very sharp slicer :) But it does look nicer with a hollow grind.

I would think that a number of knives do look nicer without them being done in FFG. I will cite examples of:
Persian
Captain (yeah this is very unique !)
Native
JD Smith
Smallfly/ Spyderfly
Dodo

etc.... do I need to go on. I think sometimes it is forgotten the art of grinding and where to start/ stop it does add or detract from the beauty and overall design of the knife beyond its ability to cut.

AND , yes, I do love my FFG Kopa, Lava, Lum Chinese, Millie etc... :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I could not have said it any better Daniel. My sentiments exactly. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
THG

Post by THG »

That's why I'm getting a belt sander.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
v8r

Post by v8r »

I'm still waiting on the new Manix, woo hoo It's not flat ground! :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p