SUBCOM arrived... and a few things learned

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
uhiforgot

SUBCOM arrived... and a few things learned

Post by uhiforgot »

After a UPS delivery delay due to a "late train" one night, my SUBCOM finally arrived from NGK this morning.

First impression was while intentionally blinded as I figured this would be a good way to get an impression of the ergonomics. I had only seen this in pictures, but was aware of the thumbstud and liner lock, and it seemed to fall naturally into my hand. Smaller and thinner than expected, but getting it oriented in my hand and opening was a SNAP! (this contrary to my general hatred of thumbstuds) Also expected more resistance in opening but it literally popped open under the force I thought would be necessary against the thumbstud. Unlike many of the small round thumbstuds or spine-mounted discs I've handled in the past, the shape of this thumbstud DOES lend itself to the thumb and work WITH you as the blade moves open. The ergonomics are strangely comfortable. Initially I thought that it would be like holding a small brick, but my hand naturally found it's grip on the knife as if it were a [rather thin] subcompact pistol (hence the appropriateness of its name) the pad of my thumb finding a comfortable resting place along the spine of the blade half on the small jimping, half on the large textured bumps. Again defying my initial image-based impressions were those large textured jimping bumps. These actually DO seem to increase grip as opposed to being the gimmick I initially thought. A stronger grip on the knife yielded only a mild pressure point near the lanyard hole. A reverse grip on the SUBCOM, while extremely secure, DID put a great deal of pressure on the inner second knuckles of my middle and ring fingers, but most likely was caused by the large jimping texture in that particular region of the handle. Unlocking was initially a challenge due to a rather flush linerlock, but after a two hand closing it was a skill quickly learned... comfortably... and all with the LEFT HAND!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

And then I opened my eyes ;) :D

During the blind handling of this blade I learned a great deal about the ergonomics developed into this knife, and throughout the day became more and more fond of it.

SHARPNESS: My blind test posed no danger of an accidental knick on the blade as it was barely sharp enough to cut paper with the tip right out of the box. The grain in the metal from factory sharpening was oriented the same throughout the entire edge, so the belly was plenty sharp, but the tip never had a chance. A few passes on the Sharpmaker's medium grit stones and that was all fixed :)

CUTTING: While the blade is mildly reminiscent of the Poliwog, with which I had intended to do a side-by-side test of the SUBCOM, this little beast quickly showed itself to be a POWERHOUSE cutter that outshined the Poli in a matter of minutes without even having to compare. I've used my boss' Poliwog many times before, and it has a great deal of difficulty in things like cardboard due to lack of a serrated edge and a rather thick blade. Even without a serrated edge, the SUBCOM will MELT through cardboard (with a drawing cut), and will teach you that the place you rest your thumb can get really warm really fast with friction against that cardboard... :o

BLADE STEEL: Yeah, yeah... I used to look down on AUS-8. That matter of experience stemmed from experience having to constantly sharpen my brother's CRKT tanto, but I like this. The one thing I keep forgetting about is EASE OF SHARPENING! The SUBCOM took a new edge in a matter of a few minutes as opposed to the half-hour I sometimes spend on my Dodo's and PE Native. It's also a blade shape that lends itself to the proper sharpening angle, so it makes for less work when that time comes.

OTHER:
I learned 2 somewhat unrelated things today:
1) You can tell that someone might not be a knife person by their incapacity to operate a linerlock, nor understand its "innermost workings" :p :D That was amusing...

2) I cut a LOT of cardboard today, and realized later on that the blade got REALLY hot. I start to wonder whether this is a work-hardened steel like H1. But I've never seen a blade get this hot before just by cutting! Conclusion: I need a Salt. I'm gonna get a salt and cut all the cardboard I can find to see about getting the Rc up to its unexpected 65.

Chad, you really did this one right! GREAT WORK!!! Granted yes, there's things I'd change, but overall you have created one AWESOME KNIFE!!! This will be in my pocket along with my regular EDC. And it will open the Lava box, when they arrive...

I smell food, but I shall return...

-jEFF

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Darnit, now I want to get one even more. The only prob is that I just splurged on two spydies (well one new to me).

I just realized, the Subcom has some similarities to the Salsa. AUS-8, big belly, nice egros, flat grind. And yes, I'm quite happy with the AUS-8 too. When I got my newish salsa it had a couple nicks in the blade which were easily sharpend out to hair popping sharp even without a sharpmaker!

Thanks for the blind review, that's a nifty way to "see" egros on a knife ;) . Just curious, would you have a salsa to compare the biscuit to? I think they would be a closer comparison than a poli (although I don't have a biscuit or a poliwog).
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Jeff for some extra added fun with the Subcom...do a search on this forum and read my review if you havn't already....Posted 01-15-2006, 07:13 PM entitled DAYWALKER'S SUBCOM/REVIEW I have taken to carrying two of these little beasts and the only other knife I have ever done this with is the Ronin...Enjoy the Subcom, once handled, it almost becomes addictive.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Jeff for some extra added fun with the Subcom...do a search on this forum and read my review if you havn't already....Posted 01-15-2006, 07:13 PM entitled DAYWALKER'S SUBCOM/REVIEW I have taken to carrying two of these little beasts and the only other knife I have ever done this with is the Ronin...Enjoy the Subcom, once handled, it almost becomes addictive.....Doc :D
Holy moly... I got a lot of reading to do. Only read the first part of the thread thus far, and I will have LOTS of questions when I'm done. BTW, for whoever else wants to read, here's the thread: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19506

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

[quote="cobrajoe"]Darnit, now I want to get one even more. The only prob is that I just splurged on two spydies (well one new to me).

I just realized, the Subcom has some similarities to the Salsa. AUS-8, big belly, nice egros, flat grind. And yes, I'm quite happy with the AUS-8 too. When I got my newish salsa it had a couple nicks in the blade which were easily sharpend out to hair popping sharp even without a sharpmaker!

Thanks for the blind review, that's a nifty way to "see" egros on a knife ]
No, I don't have a salsa, but I've seen one in person before and it's quite a bit meatier than the subcom. And unless those 2 Spydies were really pricey, I'd follow this link if I were you: They're back in stock! :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=6083

-Jeff

cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

uhiforgot wrote:No, I don't have a salsa, but I've seen one in person before and it's quite a bit meatier than the subcom. And unless those 2 Spydies were really pricey, I'd follow this link if I were you: They're back in stock! :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=6083

-Jeff
Well, no, they weren't really pricey, but they did cost enough for a college student, and I can't spend much more money before I buy my books. Engineering books are Expensive! One sememster I spent $477 on books for 4 classes, and three of the books were used!
ront

Post by ront »

Nice review Jeff. I am glad that you now know why we like the Subcom F so much. It is a fantastic little knife. It has been in my pocket every day for several months now. I love it!!

Ron
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

cobrajoe wrote:Well, no, they weren't really pricey, but they did cost enough for a college student, and I can't spend much more money before I buy my books. Engineering books are Expensive! One sememster I spent $477 on books for 4 classes, and three of the books were used!
I understand completely. My first quarter as an engineering student was $600 in books for 3 classes. Your time will come, though.

-Jeff

gull wing

Post by gull wing »

uhiforgot,
It's a great dress slacks knife, slips right in there, easy to get out, that's how I use mine. By the way, a fellow forumite, does a great job of modifying them, if you don't like plastic (see potterma).
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

gull wing wrote:uhiforgot,
It's a great dress slacks knife, slips right in there, easy to get out, that's how I use mine. By the way, a fellow forumite, does a great job of modifying them, if you don't like plastic (see potterma).
Excellent reccomendation as I'm quite familar with potterma's work, and have been gnawing on that idea since I placed my order. Sexy-grained G10 or colored CF... decisions, decisions :D :cool: The textured plastic seems a bit too soft and flexible anyway. I'm already hunting through potterma's posts as I type :D :D :D

-Jeff

gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Great!
You know I saw a shot of a "Warnie" blade version to come out.
(when?) Don't know.
I want one.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

gull wing wrote:Great!
You know I saw a shot of a "Warnie" blade version to come out.
(when?) Don't know.
I want one.
Where???Where is this picture???

-Jeff

smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Check out Bladeforums bro. There's a whole Boker section which really should be renamed the Subcom section. ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

[quote="smcfalls13"]Check out Bladeforums bro. There's a whole Boker section which really should be renamed the Subcom section. ]
I would go there but still waiting on an email to allow me to even LOOK at forums. Without signing in, I can see what the forums are called and that's it. When I AM signed in, the only thing I get to see is a message much like "you're not allowed to do that yet."

-Jeff

smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Here you go Jeff, all the upcoming Subcom variants.

Wharncom

Rescom

Desert Tan Subcom

Black Blade Subcom

-Sir Winston Churchill-
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Many thanks, Scott!

The Wharncom is an AMAZING looking blade... I want one :D :D :D , and I'm looking forward to having a serrated edge option available with the desert tan too! However, the Rescom concerns me a bit. Granted yes, the design maximizes efficiency of an emergency cut in a tight situation, but it looks like Boker is trying to cram too much into too small a chassis, and an unsuccessful pass over the serrated edge might allow a lot of different fibrous matter to catch on the protrusion that separates the serrated edge from the cutting hook.

Now with the last two pics, I've got to ask: is the Subcom soon going to be manufactured DIRECTLY under the Boker name instead of as a part of their Magnum line?

-Jeff

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

uhiforgot wrote:Many thanks, Scott!

The Wharncom is an AMAZING looking blade... I want one :D :D :D , and I'm looking forward to having a serrated edge option available with the desert tan too! However, the Rescom concerns me a bit. Granted yes, the design maximizes efficiency of an emergency cut in a tight situation, but it looks like Boker is trying to cram too much into too small a chassis, and an unsuccessful pass over the serrated edge might allow a lot of different fibrous matter to catch on the protrusion that separates the serrated edge from the cutting hook.

Now with the last two pics, I've got to ask: is the Subcom soon going to be manufactured DIRECTLY under the Boker name instead of as a part of their Magnum line?

-Jeff
I think the Rescom will probably be the best selling Subcom in the near future...I don't think your concern is anything to be concerned about...it's a small package with big cutting ability and I don't see where an unsuccesful pass over the serrated edge might allow for fibrous matter to catch on the protrusion at all....Then again this is speculation on my part cause I have not handled one yet...but I don't think this will be a issue...the knife will probably find it's way into the pockets of every LEO, Fireman, EMT, Emergency Room Doctor, and Fisherman out there, I can't wait for them to go into production with this winner...Plus I think it looks way cool....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Plus I think it looks way cool....Doc :D
Ok, no argument here :cool: I'll definitely give it a chance when it's released. I DO tend to speculate a bit further than my credentials would warrant.

-Jeff

smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

The Subcom and it's variants are being marketed under the new Boker Plus line, which is an upgrade from the Magnum line, but not quite "real" Boker.

It's a mid range line. There's some nice stuff in the Boker Plus line too, besides the oh so cool Subcom. :cool:

-Sir Winston Churchill-
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for posting the variants of Chad's amazing knife, Scott! Chad's "biscuit" is most impressive, eh? :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."