Knife Picture Question.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Knife Picture Question.

Post by Halfneck »

I am looking to get a new Digital Camera - if I could stop spending the money on knives. What size Mega Pixel Camera are posters using to post such good photos of their knives on this forum?
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Ted

Post by Ted »

Halfneck wrote:I am looking to get a new Digital Camera - if I could stop spending the money on knives. What size Mega Pixel Camera are posters using to post such good photos of their knives on this forum?
Well, not such an easy question. A lot of factors like the lens and the ability to use manual settings (whitebalanace, aperture & shutterspeed) are also important. With a good 2mp camera you should be able to put good pictures here on the forum. I've used an 8mp Olympus C8080WZ and that gave me the best pictures out of the box, but that camera was not suited for taking shots of fast moving young kids. My current shots with a 6mp Minolta 5D require more work (post processing in Adobe Photoshop).

In summary, you need at least 2mp for a good 800x600 web-shot, a manual exposure setting, a macro option and a manual white balance settings, and a selftimer or remote control. All the rest is extra. :)
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

I'd have to agree with Ted. 2mp is probably the lowest you could go to get a decent web-shot! As Ted mentioned, there are A LOT of factors involving the camera in dealing with what type of pictures you mainly intend on taking. The higher the mp's, the more you're gonna spend, in generality.
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

If you want something not that expensive, trustful, easy to use and very nice pictures, I would go with the Canon Powershot series. Using AA batteries, you save on price (approx. 75.00$ less than those flat custom batteries) you have a very decent product.

Then, I would buy a good tripod for steady shot.

If you want to go for around 1000.00$, I think the Rebel Digital is the way to go. Best bang for your buck for a digital reflex...

My 2 cents...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Was looking at the Nikon Coolpix and Canon Powershots in 3-4 Mega Pixels.

Would mostly be used to take pictures of my 2 boys, to send to the Grandparents, and the occasional Knife post.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
JaM

Post by JaM »

I have a Canon Powershot A-60, 2 MP. Perfect for internet-pictures and all that, I am not printing these (although I could). For good pictures I use my minolta, an old "unplugged" camera.

my photobucket account

It's good enough for me at the moment, you might want to get a Canon in the 3-4 MP range for better quality though (had this one for a few years already, I doubt that you can still find it in 2 MP).

Cheers.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I agree with the above. I have a 6mp camera and I always have to tweak, resize, and downgrade in quality to make the pictures fit the 100kb restriction of the forum.

Ookami
________
FIREPOWER
deeker

Post by deeker »

I use a 3.2MP Fuji. It takes decent pictures, as I don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I leave it in auto mode and adjust the pictures after the fact. I have messed with the flash settings - with mixed results. I usually don't remember which setting did what!

For taking pictures of still objects like a knife, a tripod is essential.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Make sure it has a Macro feature. The awesome closeups everyone does are much clearer when using a Macro.

My camera doesn't have one, and you can see that my closeups are often very blurry.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Senate

Post by Senate »

Ookami wrote:I agree with the above. I have a 6mp camera and I always have to tweak, resize, and downgrade in quality to make the pictures fit the 100kb restriction of the forum.

Ookami
just use another host for your pics... :)

personnally I would go for more than 2-3Mp, the standard these days is around 4-5Mp and it produces nice quality pictures in a smaller package. unless you want to save the maximum money on the purchase, there's no reason to look for 3Mp, and I don't think you can find them in store anymore :D
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i use a canon eos 350d (digital rebel to you americans)
although i have used SLR cameras for years, have done 2 photography courses, i am still learning about digital cameras, some photos are great - some dont even make it onto the computer, they are that bad
power is nothing without control
Rob

Post by Rob »

I agree that 2 MP is the lowest you should get. I currently use a 2 MP Minolta and while the pictures turn out to be OK I would love to have larger (speaking of pixels) source files to have more possibilities when I edit my photos. If you ever want to printout some of your pictures in decent quality, try to find a nice 6 MP camera. That's absolutely sufficient for nice printouts (personally I am currently thinking about an 8 MP Minolta but neither do I have the cash right now nor am I really sure if I actually NEED 8 MP :rolleyes: )

However, the resolution is secondary. First you should look for a camera that has a good lens. Manufacturers who produced good quality lenses in the analog era still sell good quality: Canon, Minolta, Nikon,...

Although it's too general to say this, I'd stay away from cameras made by companies that actually started with selling printers, calculators or photopaper and films :D (Hewlett Packard, Kodak,...) unless you know what lenses they use.

When you've found a couple of cameras of which you think that they'll fit your needs, be sure to check some reviews of them online.

Hope that helps a little,

Rob
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I am using a 6.3 mega pixel digi cam. It is a Konica-Minolta 7D.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
rs2

Post by rs2 »

Hi Halfneck,

I use a Canon 20D, which is a 8.2 MP DSLR, and most, if not all, of my knife photos are taken with a Canon 60mm f2.8 macro lens. Click on the link in my sig to see some samples.
Ron
aka RSS1911
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Very nice rs2. I am more the point & shoot type :) As such I don't see me getting any SLR cameras.
ront

Post by ront »

I just have an old Olympus C-700 2.1 MP. It works fine. I wish I had a setup like rs2!!

Ron
spd9075

Post by spd9075 »

Good question! I was wondering that myself. I have an old 1.3 mp Sony Cybershot with macro, buy if you've seen any of my posted pics, they all come out fuzzy. I never really posted many pics before, but now that I am, I guess I need to step up and upgrade! After all, I've seen cell phones with better cameras now! :eek:
Simona

Post by Simona »

Because i have circa 5 yrs.old model of Sony Cybershot DSC P-50, 2.1 mpix, i´m thinking about new camera too...

Probably i want this one:
Sony DSC R-1
10.3 megapixels, Carl Zeiss T* lens with 5x zoom, auto and manual focus, auto and manual exposure, JPEG and RAW file formats, ISO 160-3200, lithium ion battery, no movie mode.

Or Canon PowerShot S2 IS

or
Panasonic DMC-FZ30

Canon EOS 350D

Canon EOS 20Da

Nikon D200

Hard to select :)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha GG,

Cripes Sia...at least you know what you want! :p I swear though...I saw one of those in Epsiode III, Revenge Of the Sith! :D

God bless and I hope it is warmer there :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Simona wrote:Because i have circa 5 yrs.old model of Sony Cybershot DSC P-50, 2.1 mpix, i´m thinking about new camera too...

Probably i want this one:
Sony DSC R-1
10.3 megapixels, Carl Zeiss T* lens with 5x zoom, auto and manual focus, auto and manual exposure, JPEG and RAW file formats, ISO 160-3200, lithium ion battery, no movie mode.

Hard to select :)
Simona, I would highly reccomend the Canon 20Da. GREAT camera for the price, and imaging processor is FAR SUPERIOR to any of the Sony SLR's. Make no mistake, I LOVE Sony for point-and-shoot (I also used a P-51 for a while, and a P-150 currently for EDC camera :p ) but for high-performance and high-quality digital SLR, Canon outperforms Sony in image quality by far!

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.