Mini Manix Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Mini Manix Review

Post by Mr Blonde »

I actually got a nice pair of Ocelots first, but the Mini Manixes have such a high 'cool factor' that they immediately kicked the Ocelots out of my pockets. To me, the Mini Manix is the substitute until the Li'l Temp II comes to fuition, and I -really- like the Li'l Temp. So I compared the two a little.

Although on paper the Mini Manix isn’t that much smaller than the Manix, in the hand it is indeed a ‘compact version’ of the already classic Manix. Like the Paramilitary, the Manix’ cockpit is left intact on the Mini Manix. Something simple as peeling fruit was sometimes a chore with the regular Manix, because of its big and wide blade. The Mini Manix makes this noticeably easier. It’s a smaller blade that’s easier to use for mundane urban stuff, like cutting up cardboard boxes, opening stuff or food prep.

I like my Mini Manixes best, because I can comfortably carry and use two at a time, because of those excellent clip options. The wide thick blade offers an amazingly sharp blade, just like my beloved Li’l Temp. The grip security is similar to the Li’l Temp as well, but the Mini Manix is a bit more ‘blocky’. When purposely squeezing the Mini Manix’ handle you feel a few hotspots. In practical use this discomfort did not pop up. The Mini Manix’s opening action is as smooth as the Li’l Temperance, but requires a little more oil for maintenance. Other than that, the Mini Manix is the same all-round sturdy design. Excellent for utility, strong and lively enough for MBC.

It seems like someone took notice of the fandom that the Li’l Temperance has acquired last year. I remember a couple of Mini Manix requests, but much more requests for a Li’l Temp. With the Li’l Temp II still in concept-stage, the Mini Manix is an excellent alternative to hold us over until my dream Ti integral compression lock SE Li’l Temperance with a full set of divot holes arrives.

The bottom line: 1 Li’l Temp still beats 1 Mini Manix, but two Mini Manixes beat 1 and 2 Li’l Temps. I’m happy with my Mini Manixes to wait for the next generation of Li’l Temperance to arrive.

I promised myself not to write such a long review this time, but alas I couldn't help myself. So if you have some time to spare and a cup of coffee or two, you can view more pics and ramblings here. :D

Wouter
Attachments
minmanixes.jpg
minmanixes.jpg (85.36 KiB) Viewed 8600 times
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The image tags aren't working well right now, so one more quick pic attached in the old fashioned way.

Wouter
Attachments
minimanix_temp.jpg
minimanix_temp.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

Great review Wouter. The Manix 83mm is one **** of a knife.

Love the pics! :)
Rock
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Thanks Wouter, I allways find your reviews very useful. I was wondering how it would compare to the Paramilie which you also give lots of credit.

Btw, real fine pics, as allways.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks Piet. The Paramillie is thinner and has a finer overall blade. Sure, it's a lot stronger than say a Caly jr. I dislike the Paramillie only for its exposed tang (when folded) and the right-hand tip down only option. The ergos on the Paramillie are more refined though, not as blocky as the Mini Manix. I like the Mini Manix better, because of the tip up and left hand carry option.

Wouter
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Thanks Wouter, very clear.
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

Good stuff Wouter! Just what I'd expect from you, saying it's good, but it's not Lil Temp good! :p
ASA NISI MASA
ront

Post by ront »

NIce review Wouter. You do a good job and I enjoy reading them! The Mini Manix is an awesome knife. I really do like mine. Some day I do need one of those Ocelots! I look forward to your review of them.
I do have a question. What is a "busk" that you talk about in your review? I have no idea.

Thanks, Ron
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Awesome review :cool:

I still want one of those. Want, not need, that's why I still don't have one :p
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I just got back from UPS with my new ce baby manix and wow! at last a knife that can be pocket carried opposite the Lil' T without feeling insecure! This is a formidable MBC beast! I looove how the punyo delivers such concentrated energy during butt strikes! :eek: I accidentaly punyo struck myself in the metacarples a few weeks ago during MBC practice with an Endura trainer and I thought that hurt but, boy howdy! A metacarple hit with this sucker will end the fight. I don't care what drug the perp is on!
Nicely done Eric! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
ATR216

Post by ATR216 »

Hello Wouter....Excellant review. The depth with which you cover the ergonomic

issues is of great importance to me....William :)

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the cool review Wouter, had the chance only trying the big manix, and the smaller I like a bit better.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks for the (as usual) excellent review and pics Mr. Blonde. I always enjoy reading your reviews and going to your site and checking out all the eye candy.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanks for the review and (as always) nice pics Wouter :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Eehhh, Mike Cook, what is a metacarple ? :confused:
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Wouter, thanks for the review and the great pics. The Mini Manix is very close to what I'd like - a Native in full flat grind with a more rounded handle. However, I'd rather preffer a Mini Manix without the steel liners, as heft is a big concern to me.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Daylight46

Post by Daylight46 »

I love mine too, but I can't find the corrct Torx screw to remove the clip !!!!!!!
There is no way to happiness
Happiness is the way
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Nice review with great pictures.
If I didn't EDC one already it could have cost me some $.

Kwakster,
A metacarple is in Dutch 'een middenhandsbeentje'
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Slvgx wrote:Good stuff Wouter! Just what I'd expect from you, saying it's good, but it's not Lil Temp good! :p
Few things in life are L'il Temp good..... :D

Thanks for the kind words guys. I enjoy writing them, and that's why I keep doing it. But the nice words certainly helps the motivation.

Piet, thanks for that translation. I would have guessed -without dictionary-the metacarple to be a nerve of some type.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

ront wrote: What is a "busk" that you talk about in your review? I have no idea.
I'm not really sure if it is a proper English word actually. I picked it up from Fred Perrin's review of the Military. As I understand it, the 'busk' is the end or butt of the handle that expands so that your hand can't slip off the knife.

I attached a pic of a Military with the 'busk' cut out and enlarged. The Military has this feature whereas the Mini Manix does not.

Wouter
Attachments
busk.jpg
busk.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 6685 times