Deal of the month, or a fake? (Poliwog)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Deal of the month, or a fake? (Poliwog)

Post by GoldenSpydie »

A few days ago, I was browsing Ebay when an interesting new listing appeared. It was for a "Spyderco VG 10 Seki Japan" :rolleyes: , but the picture clearly showed a Poliwog. It was listed for $30 as a Buy-It-Now. I bought it immediately.

I don't have any reason to belive that it isn't the real deal, but I wanted to check in and see what the experts think.

Note: It was very scratched up, so I took it apart and sanded/polished the scales.

What do y'all think? Real deal, or knock off?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Don't have one myself, but that looks pretty authentic compared to some of the other 'wog fakes I've seen floating around.

Good price too!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

That looks just like mine, and I'm 100% sure mine is real. Great find!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
paladin

Post by paladin »

too hard to believe...

my Poliwog is without price. :spyder:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wouldn't buy any SS Wog out there due to the number of faked ones. Still, to fake a knife and scratch it up prior to sale seems silly (or genius?).

I'm about 90% sure you got a keeper :D .
Ned

Post by Ned »

Cool pictures!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All the fakes I've seen have a huge pivot bolt, a ball that looks more like a rod with rounded ends, and a few other "red flags". If yours is a fake, it's a scary good one but, if I had to guess I'd say you got an excellent buy on a used genuine Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Clip wrote:Don't have one myself, but that looks pretty authentic compared to some of the other 'wog fakes I've seen floating around.

Good price too!
SolidState wrote:That looks just like mine, and I'm 100% sure mine is real. Great find!
paladin wrote:too hard to believe...

my Poliwog is without price. :spyder:
Blerv wrote:I wouldn't buy any SS Wog out there due to the number of faked ones. Still, to fake a knife and scratch it up prior to sale seems silly (or genius?).

I'm about 90% sure you got a keeper :D .
The Deacon wrote:All the fakes I've seen have a huge pivot bolt, a ball that looks more like a rod with rounded ends, and a few other "red flags". If yours is a fake, it's a scary good one but, if I had to guess I'd say you got an excellent buy on a used genuine Spyderco.
Thanks for the help, every one! I'm glad that it seems to be legit.
Ned wrote:Cool pictures!
Thanks!
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

But its not a golden model...that means you must want to sell on the cheap?
Great find.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

dgebler wrote:But its not a golden model...that means you must want to sell on the cheap?
Great find.
Nope...this one will be a keeper. I really like the weight and feel for such a small knife.
Paul10

Post by Paul10 »

Wow..awesome! Now I want one :) . What did you use to sand it...looks great!
v8r

Post by v8r »

GoldenSpydie looks like the real deal to me. looks like mine anyway which I have owned for several years. That was a great buy as well. That knife should be worth at least 5 times what you paid for it.

Paul10 lay some sandpaper down on a flat surface and sand in a straight line with no side to side motion and it is very easy to duplicate the factory finish ;) . You can also use a red scotchbrite as well. I have done this to several of mine.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p