Manbug or ladybug?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Ordered one of each since im getting mixed reactions. Will double up on the one i like more.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
paladin

Post by paladin »

Kylems11 wrote:Ordered one of each since im getting mixed reactions. Will double up on the one i like more.
I had a feeling that would happen :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Kiwi_Digger

Post by Kiwi_Digger »

I believe cutleryshoppe has FFG pink ladybug exclusives right now
Paul10

Post by Paul10 »

I was thinking of this same decision and finally went with the Ladybug. The ladybug is a really small knife and if I was adding it to a keychain, I did not want any extra added bulk that, even though slight, would exist with the Manbug. I like the Ladybug more than I thought I would and really love the Super Blue version :) .
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Ladybug to me as I don't see any benefit in making the blade thicker to man it up... I have been gifting the regular VG-10 versions here and there as they are easy enough on the budget and still cut well. The SB Ladybug is very nice, haven't tried the ZDP-189 yet. Hopefully the regular VG-10 gets CQI'd to full flat grind in the future!

I have the hawkbill variant sitting in it's box as well, but haven't quite figured out where to use it. It's too small to really be useful in gardening and I don't have much other fibrous stuff that I'd cut. Maybe if I one day finally get to planting some chilies I could use it trimming those plants and collecting the harvest! :)
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mallus!

[quote="Mallus"] I have the hawkbill variant sitting in it's box as well, but haven't quite figured out where to use it. :) [/quote]

I alternate my small backup blade between an SpyderEdge Green Jester and an SpyderEdge Yellow Hawkbill LadyBug.

My criteria is to have that 'extra cuting leverage' that the SpyderEdge gives you in such small blades.

Can't say there's a huge notorious cutting diference between them. Both are awesome little cutting machines, specially when very detailed cutting is required.

I might tend to use the Hawkbill LadyBug for more rough cutting, while using the Jester for more general detailed cutting chores, but both get about equal pocket time.[/font]
Stay Sharp!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Grab a Manbug!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The irony of this choice is, I made a thread a couple years before the Manbug came out, asking for basically what the Manbug is. I wanted a thicker blade, more stout Ladybug that could handle harder use, and that's exactly what I got. Now that it's here, I'm not interested LOL. The biggest issue I have with it is the blade shape, I wish the tip wasn't so up swept. The reality is that the Ladybug is a better slicer and has a lower tip which for me works better. The Manbug does feel better in my hand, but then it's also wider which doesn't ride as well on my keys. They're small differences but they make a big difference in my use, so I'm sticking with the Ladybug until Sal finds it in his heart to make us a wharnie Manbug, then I'm in with both feet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ned

Post by Ned »

Evil D wrote:The irony of this choice is, I made a thread a couple years before the Manbug came out, asking for basically what the Manbug is. I wanted a thicker blade, more stout Ladybug that could handle harder use, and that's exactly what I got. Now that it's here, I'm not interested LOL. The biggest issue I have with it is the blade shape, I wish the tip wasn't so up swept. The reality is that the Ladybug is a better slicer and has a lower tip which for me works better. The Manbug does feel better in my hand, but then it's also wider which doesn't ride as well on my keys. They're small differences but they make a big difference in my use, so I'm sticking with the Ladybug until Sal finds it in his heart to make us a wharnie Manbug, then I'm in with both feet.
I am there with you, I would buy a Wharnie Manbug.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

So i just recieved both manbug&ladybug today in mail. And so far i like the ladybug alot better. The blade shape is what is pulling me towards the ladybug. I like how the handle on the manbug is a little bigger but i dont like the blade shape
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

There seems to be hardly a difference. I went with the Lady cuz on my keychain, the smaller the better, even if it is only a tenth of an ounce and .062" of closed length. I won't miss it, and if I do I'll grab whatever is clipped to my pocket. If you're gonna go small, go small.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kylems.

There are differences, but they are more subtle in some areas. Ladybugs are lighter, have a thinner blade, come in more blade shapes and steels and they offer the "splinter pickin'" tip. Manbugs have a thicker blade, a full flat grind, wider, thicker handle and more belly in the shape of the blade.

Probably getting both will be the best way to determine whaich features work for you.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:They're small differences but they make a big difference in my use, so I'm sticking with the Ladybug until Sal finds it in his heart to make us a wharnie Manbug, then I'm in with both feet.
Should we call it the Yojimbug? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:Should we call it the Yojimbug? :)
Sure :)

I'd settle for a sheepsfoot too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Evil D wrote:The irony of this choice is, I made a thread a couple years before the Manbug came out, asking for basically what the Manbug is. I wanted a thicker blade, more stout Ladybug that could handle harder use, and that's exactly what I got. Now that it's here, I'm not interested LOL. The biggest issue I have with it is the blade shape, I wish the tip wasn't so up swept. The reality is that the Ladybug is a better slicer and has a lower tip which for me works better. The Manbug does feel better in my hand, but then it's also wider which doesn't ride as well on my keys. They're small differences but they make a big difference in my use, so I'm sticking with the Ladybug until Sal finds it in his heart to make us a wharnie Manbug, then I'm in with both feet.

Same here. I tried a MB, but couldn't get past that blade-shape.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The LB always seemed just a touch too small for my hands. But the minute I held a ManBug in my hand, I knew it was just enough bigger to make it a really useful knife.

I've actually got several of each, though...

TedP
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

You also "need" a Jester: