Spoiled by Finger Choil?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Today, I mailed out my TAD Dauntless to a buyer. I love that folder, but the first (and only) time that I stabbed the blade into a cardboard box to check it out, the blade caught in the choil and I hated that. I've had lots of Striders and Spydercos with choils but I gotta tell ya...I'm NOT a believer.
Yes, I love Spydies. Yes, I've got a box full of NIB Spydies, as I tend to buy and sell NIB stuff. But my EDC does not have a choil.
I think a choil is great for close-up work, which I don't seem to have much use for.
Different strokes.
Sonny
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Sonny wrote:Today, I mailed out my TAD Dauntless to a buyer. I love that folder, but the first (and only) time that I stabbed the blade into a cardboard box to check it out, the blade caught in the choil and I hated that. I've had lots of Striders and Spydercos with choils but I gotta tell ya...I'm NOT a believer.
Yes, I love Spydies. Yes, I've got a box full of NIB Spydies, as I tend to buy and sell NIB stuff. But my EDC does not have a choil.
I think a choil is great for close-up work, which I don't seem to have much use for.
Different strokes.
Sonny
Good to know. I'm new to all of this, so it's something for me to be aware of. Thanks for sharing.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm a firm believer in the 50/50 choil, at least the way Spyderco implements it. Aside from the Centofante Memory, all my favorite Spydercos have one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

big fan of thumb ramps. for choils, i love them on my smaller knives, like thr dfly and chaparral. but larger knives i prefer them to not have one. the gayle bradley is my ideal set up for a larger folder
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Are there any hawkbills with a 50/50 choil?

I have a tasman and a ladybug hawkbill...can't think of any.

Can anyone point me at one?

I actually have a task that I perform several times every day that would be made substantially easier by a small hawkbill with a choil. There's not a dragonfly hawkbill variant out there, is there?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:Are there any hawkbills with a 50/50 choil?

I have a tasman and a ladybug hawkbill...can't think of any.

Can anyone point me at one?

I actually have a task that I perform several times every day that would be made substantially easier by a small hawkbill with a choil. There's not a dragonfly hawkbill variant out there, is there?
There isn't either, but the H1 Ladybug hawkbill is quite capable for its size. It doesn't have a choil but it's so small that I haven't felt the need for one. A hawkbill Dragonfly would be insane!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I very much prefer a choil, or if not a choil, at least a non-sharpened place such as the Delica or Salt 1 or even the Lum has, to rest my finger on. My natural grip leaves my finger there. After I've been playing with my Militaries or Manix's (Manices? Manii?) if I pick up my Tenacious or Resilience, I have to make a conscious effort to keep my index finger from touching the sharp edge at the base of the blade.

I don't tend to do any stabbing of my knives into something, and am not into martial arts, so perhaps that affects my preferences. I'm usually just opening boxes or slicing or whittling.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

deathbysnoosnoo wrote:
and i think that in the vast majority of cases choils just take away from edge. Imo the best choil is one that is already built into the handle of the knife and takes up absolutely zero blade length.

this^^^^^^
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

And the Spyderco choil is entirely responsible for making the UKPK and Urbans such successes. Personally, I don't trust myself to safely use slip joints unless they have some sort of choil to protect my fingers.

TedP