Sage 1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaypowell0185

Sage 1

Post by jaypowell0185 »

I received a Sage 1 in the mail yesterday and let me say that I am blown away by the quality. The twill carbon fiber is simply amazing. I also the the ergos of the knife. This seems like the perfect edc. Now I just have to figure out what to buy next for a hiking/ hard use knife a Gayle Bradley or a Manix Lightweight
knolan

Post by knolan »

Gongrats on the new knife...its the one that started my interest in Spyderco, especially Taichung products a few years ago. Tough to find a better $100 EDC folder considering f & f, materials, clip, ergos, etc.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a Sage 1 and Sage 2 both great knives. You might want to consider the Manix 2 XL for hiking. The only knife better for EDC than the Sage is the Caly 3.5
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I too have a Sage 1 and 2, and love them both (for different reasons) . As you know, the quality is first rate on all the Taichung models. The 1 seems the better daily carry knife because I think the CF seems more durable. The 2's Ti scales sure feel good, but might scratch more easily. Ergos obviously great on both and how about that deep carry wire clip? Wow.
GB good for a hard use knife, but it was too stout (and heavy for me), so I returned the one I had. Other hiking choices could be an Endura or a PM2. Good luck!
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I have a Sage 1 and Sage 2 both great knives. You might want to consider the Manix 2 XL for hiking. The only knife better for EDC than the Sage is the Caly 3.5
Thats funny because my two choices were the Sage 1 and the Caly 3.5
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I cast my vote for the super-leaf. that is a beautiful, tough knife And a Compression no less. about $140 on amazon
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

between the two you listed, I'd go with the manix lightweight for a hiking knife. It feels like it weighs nothing at all in your pocket, but it packs a lot of knife with a very strong lock into those few ounces. It's my go-to backpacking folder.

Also, good choice on the Sage 1 - it's the knife that made me fall in love with Carbon Fiber and choose this screen name ;)
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jaypowell0185 wrote:Thats funny because my two choices were the Sage 1 and the Caly 3.5
I can't speak to the Sage, but the Caly.... oh the Caly .... ANY CALY will make for a terrific EDC.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

I ended up going with the resilience for a hiking /camping knife. I was at first worried with the weight, but after handling it I knew I had to have it. I was lucky enough to get it for a great price. Should be here on Wednesday
Derek Dean

Post by Derek Dean »

Howdy,
First post here. Just got my Sage 1 in the mail today, and of course, as you'all well know, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I was a tiny bit concerned because I'm left handed, and wasn't sure how well I would be able to handle the liner-lock, but it only took a few minutes of playing with it to figure it out. Now I can flick it open and closed with either hand just as easily. Neat.

This is my first quality knife, and I'm looking forward to putting it to use as my EDC. I'll be interested to see how it works tomorrow with my suit . I'm amazed at how tight this little wire clip is. Amazing.

Jay, congratulations on your new knife, I know exactly how you feel :D .
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I have had a lot of my knives boxed up and ready to sell for financial reasons. Yesterday I took out the Sage just for old times sake and...I think they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Bradly folder in left pocket manix2 in right
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Gayle Bradley would be my choice for a camping/hiking knife.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Sage 1 is one of my favorites to carry and use. For backpacking I picked up a Manix2 Lightweight. It fits that role perfectly. I also like the Pacific Salt if you're looking for something lightweight with the added benefit of no corrosion concerns.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The Sage 1 is an awesome knife, one of my favorites.
Derek Dean

Post by Derek Dean »

Ok, after having my Sage 1 for two days I have a few observations. First, I was amazed at how unobtrusive it was with my black suit yesterday. The black wire clip and deep pocket carry made it almost invisible, and since it's so thin it didn't impede my going in and out of my pocket all day for my keys. I'm VERY happy with how easy it is to carry this knife and completely forget I've got it with me.

Secondly, I honestly didn't realize how handy it would be to actually have a knife right in my pocket (this is my first EDC knife). It was so fun using it for all those little things that I usually have to run into the kitchen to get a knife for. I'd go, "oh yeah, I've got a knife right here", and wham, it was out, used, and back in my pocket practically before I could blink.

And of course the cherry on the top was how effortlessly it cut through everything.

Just a super knife.