Spyderco Challenge Coin?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Great idea! It'd be a challenge coin, and please those who want the angle guide! I'd love to have it.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
BigBrad75

Post by BigBrad75 »

+1 For a Spyderco Challenge Coin! That would be SWEEEEET! Sign me up! :)
[CENTER]:spyder: G10 Jester with me at ALL times :spyder:
[/CENTER]
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I would definitely buy at least one!
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Here's the only one i got... an old lady give it to me when i was racetrack marshall for ASM motorcycle series, i'ved always wear it when i was on duty near the track.
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Figured I'd bump this thread since I would love to see this happen.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'm in.....to coin an expression.....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Angle Guide challenge coin.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

A Spyderco challenge coin together with the forum knife as a bonus for the long wait would be wicked :D
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
rufusrugg

Spyderco Challenge coin

Post by rufusrugg »

Michael Janich wrote:Here's a link to the Wikipedia page that explains the origin and purpose of challenge coins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin.

Up until about 10-15 years ago, they were pretty much limited to military and LE units and given out only to personal friends and associates by unit members. In recent years they have become more commercialized and often used as a "keepsake" item for special events.

When Spyderco started the OpFocus program, Kristi and I pushed for challenge coins that we could share in the original spirit of the coin--only to close associates who understood and shared the tradition. We produced a limited number of WarriorChip challenge coins for that purpose, but they are not commercially available to the public.

If you'd like one that is available for purchase, please voice your opinion here.

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike: While I would like to see the challenge coins issued I hope they would be different than the ones that have already been given to Spyderco's close friends. I would hope those would remain unique.
GronK

Post by GronK »

The Deacon wrote:+2 Never been one to pass up a Spyderco trinket, but I have no idea of how/when/why a challenge coin is really used. To me, the name evokes images of situations where excessive amounts of testosterone collide with excessive amounts of alcohol.
We have a winner! Thank you, everyone for playing!
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I would like one also!! Sounds cool!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I'd be in for a few!! But the have to have a hole in them and jimping!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I certainly would like for Spyderco to make a Challenge Coin and have it available to its customers. Emerson Knives has a really nice one.

These coins (Challenge Coins, Unit Coins, Round Metal Objects, etc.) hold a unique sense of belonging to something special... whether than be a military unit, an organization, or as part of a group that enjoys and appreciates the quality and use of Spyderco Knives. :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Water Bug wrote:I certainly would like for Spyderco to make a Challenge Coin and have it available to its customers. Emerson Knives has a really nice one.

These coins (Challenge Coins, Unit Coins, Round Metal Objects, etc.) hold a unique sense of belonging to something special... whether than be a military unit, an organization, or as part of a group that enjoys and appreciates the quality and use of Spyderco Knives. :)
I agree only if the object is earned. I know a club level shooter who buys a trophy for each match he enters. He feels a fellowship with the winners too. :D
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

The coins have become nice gifts to friends nowadays (I know Ed Schempp has a few from various units I have been a part of, as does Kristi and her children). Before the massive proliferation of coins, they were often used to shut up poseurs claiming to be with elite military or law enforcement units. For some reason, this often happened in a drinking establishment :p . Once someone had regaled the crowd with a BS tale, if you happened to have really been in the unit he was claiming, you would toss out your coin and say, "We all have these. Where's yours?" which often created some interesting situations.

I haven't seen many people use them except as keepsakes and gifts in quite awhile. In my old SWAT unit, we used to have to carry them for purposes of economic welfare and self-preservation. After an operation or training session, if we did a coin check and you did not have yours, you bought the beer, breakfast, or whatever.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Dodge wrote:I'd be in for a few!! But the have to have a hole in them and jimping!
I would be in for a few, and Dodge's idea is to perfect. It just wouldn't be a Spydie coin without the hole and some quarter-like jimping around the perimeter.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

+1 For a Spyderco Challenge Coin.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

KaliGman wrote:I haven't seen many people use them except as keepsakes and gifts in quite awhile. In my old SWAT unit, we used to have to carry them for purposes of economic welfare and self-preservation. After an operation or training session, if we did a coin check and you did not have yours, you bought the beer, breakfast, or whatever.
+1!!!

I carry mine so others can coin check as much and as often as they please... and, each and every time they'll be buying me a drink! :) If you're a part of a unit and it has a unit coin... GET ONE AND DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!! :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I would be down for 1. It's not me to pass up a Spyderco trinket ;)
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
Jes Schuetz

Post by Jes Schuetz »

Sign me up too.
Please make the clip on it ambidextrous for our left handed friends.