The affordable Spyderco EDC blade that could have been...what a shame

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Quillan

The affordable Spyderco EDC blade that could have been...what a shame

Post by Quillan »

The Chapparal...absolutely perfect for EDC...blade length, thin handle...a mini-Sage that could have been done more affordably...

VG-10 instead of S30V....FRN instead of CF....no liners (unnecessary in such a small blade)

A $60 Chapparal would put the Delica out of business...imo..maybe thats why they didnt consider such a design...interfere with their bread and butter...

Just thinking out loud...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's not the same but the FRN Dragonfly2 is a sweet knife.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Quillan wrote:The Chapparal...absolutely perfect for EDC...blade length, thin handle...a mini-Sage that could have been done more affordably...

VG-10 instead of S30V....FRN instead of CF....no liners (unnecessary in such a small blade)

A $60 Chapparal would put the Delica out of business...imo..maybe thats why they didnt consider such a design...interfere with their bread and butter...

Just thinking out loud...
The Chap will become a series like the Sages. Spyderco will over time bring more versions with other handle materials. Its a little bit a handle showcase knife and maybe an FRN version will come! You never know with Spyderco :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Quillan

Post by Quillan »

Blerv...lol...my D2 is my little EDC beloved blade...the Little Train That Could...choo choo!!!

IG...I know...I so WANT that upscale Ti handled Chappie, but grrr....I am a working stiff...mortgage comes first...and NO ONE wants to hang out with a very angry wife who looks over the bank statements like a hawk...no, that would do, no sir, not at all... :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry, but I love the Chaparral just the way it is and, if you knew how it is put together, you'd realize that unlined FRN simply would not work without other changes as well. If you want cheap, the Dragonfly 2 that Blerv mentioned, or the Cat would be worth a look.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Quillan wrote:Blerv...lol...my D2 is my little EDC beloved blade...the Little Train That Could...choo choo!!!

IG...I know...I so WANT that upscale Ti handled Chappie, but grrr....I am a working stiff...mortgage comes first...and NO ONE wants to hang out with a very angry wife who looks over the bank statements like a hawk...no, that would do, no sir, not at all... :(
In that case shouldn't we adjust our standards? Instead of asking a company to make a knife just for you?
Quillan

Post by Quillan »

Deacon...the very first Spyderco I purchased was a Chappie....it was an excellent knife...as I pointed out as a disclaimer, I was just "thinking out loud"...and btw...I bought it based on your posted "preview"...it is an outstanding knife. ok?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not to mention infection mold set-up costs to pop out tiny scales (mounted to the liners) on a low volume product. My vote merely for economics would be SS construction, g10 scales, or...wait for it...brass, bronze or copper. :p ;)

Not all upscale models need low-cost variations. Look at the 944 Porsche.
Quillan

Post by Quillan »

lol Blerv...
kawr

Post by kawr »

Agree with blerv. It would be pretty sillly to ask Ferrari to build a cheapo version of their vehicles for the majority. You would end up with a honda sports car with a horsie slapped on the hood, defeating the purpose of a luxury item. I would prefer to keep the Chaparral line higher end, using high end materials in future variations. There are already a huge selection of budget Spyderco models that caters toward the economical consumer.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Blerv wrote:Not all upscale models need low-cost variations. Look at the 944 Porsche.
Ha! This is true. I used to (briefly) own a 924 Turbo.
:bug-red-white
Clip

Post by Clip »

Honda knows sports cars too :)

And Blerv knows brass.

Quillan, what you described sounds a lot like the Caly Jr.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Donut

Post by Donut »

I do think that at times there are models being made on the "too fancy" side of things. Knives are things that don't really need to be pretty. The good thing is that the Chaparral series is one that is being made to showcase different handle materials. The Chap 2 costs almost twice as much as the first one. I think there is a good chance that we will see an affordable model down the road.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gbelleh wrote:Ha! This is true. I used to (briefly) own a 924 Turbo.
Hehe. Well I always admired engine-forward Porsche's from afar but the rest of the buying demographic seemed pretty stuck on the traditional configuration. ;)

Clip wrote:Honda knows sports cars too :)
No doubt. The NSX is a Ferrari for realistic people :D

Anyways...if they make a FRN scales Chap I would prob gift a few. Just seems a bit of a devolution from Ti and CF. Even a copper one might confuse people, lol.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

The Deacon wrote:Sorry, but I love the Chaparral just the way it is and, if you knew how it is put together, you'd realize that unlined FRN simply would not work without other changes as well. If you want cheap, the Dragonfly 2 that Blerv mentioned, or the Cat would be worth a look.
Have to say I agree with The Deacon... I love my Chappy just the way it is, S30v, CF, liners, etc. I wouldn't have bought it if it was as the OP described. Nope, not at all!

Just feeling some Chappy love!!! LOL!!!
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

VG-10 would actually probably increase the cost, because then it would have to be made in Japan, and given the difference in currency values, it would increase the price compared to S30v (I think).
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Deacon's point has more to do with design and material aspects than a review of your "thinking out loud." The old guy has some insights based upon years and years of hanging out around these parts and playing with spydercos. He generally doesn't pull anything out of his butt regarding knives other than opinions, and when he does, he states it's his opinion. He is correct about the design aspects.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SolidState wrote:Deacon's point has more to do with design and material aspects than a review of your "thinking out loud." The old guy has some insights based upon years and years of hanging out around these parts and playing with spydercos. He generally doesn't pull anything out of his butt regarding knives other than opinion0s, and when he does, he states it's his opinion. He is correct about the design aspects.
Heh heh! You had me at "old guy." (Sorry, Paul). :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Sounds good! Chaparral CF with XHP as stated in 2013 catalog and some time a Caly Jr. in FRN, maybe even with SB or ZDP!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd love to see an FRN Chap. Injection molds cost a lot and the demand would have to justify it happening. If it happens, I'll buy it. It is almost perfect for an everyday knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal