Stainless steel handles in use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Stainless steel handles in use

Post by elena86 »

Does anyone use on regular bases, not only as EDC, stainless steel handle spydies ? I know it is more logic to use a FRN or G10 handle one but me, I like a lot the looks and the heft of SS handle Spidies.
I am tempted to start EDC-ing(and using) a SS fully serrated Delica.But I'd like to hear more opinions maybe from some specific SS SE Delica users(if there are any...)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

elena86 wrote:Does anyone use on regular bases, not only as EDC, stainless steel handle spydies ? I know it is more logic to use a FRN or G10 handle one but me, I like a lot the looks and the heft of SS handle Spidies.
I am tempted to start EDC-ing(and using) a SS fully serrated Delica.But I'd like to hear more opinions maybe from some specific SS SE Delica users(if there are any...)
Aloha and welcome elena86,

I used to carry both models often in SS: a Delica and Endura back in the day...add to that a SS Police model. ;)

Seems like you answered your own question if you like the heft the SS handles provide, then by all means, carry that SS delica! I have noticed that when carrying the three aforementioned models, I noticed less slippage carrying the Delica during "hard use". Guess the shorter handle length locked into my hand better while the Endura and Police had a bit more handle length, allowing more "play" in the grip. My father, who is a full time mechanic carried an SS PE Delica as his sole EDC for some time, and I never really got any complaints from him in terms of slippery handles...and he works with all kinda slippery fluids and gunk. The SS Delica felt, "heavy duty" to him which is why he liked it, along with the fact that it was small enough to carry and use easily while crawling around under buses and vehicles.

I currently carry an SS Byrd from time to time, a hawkbill. Same reason, for the heft, but more so for the blade shape and just to do the Spyder-Drop. :p I'd be carrying my old SS Lava but I lost it awhile back. :(

Anyway, I say just carry it. The SS Delica is a great knife! ;)

Take care :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've carried this one quite a few times, although not much lately as I've drifted further and further away from knives that lack a 50/50 choil.

and I have a couple all stainless Kiwis, also engraved, that I carry occasionally. Downsides of stainless are that it's heavier, always seems to feel cold to the touch, an offers relatively little traction. Personally, an ounce or so extra weight has never bothered me and the others just make me more selective as to when I carry an all stainless knife. Hand cut engraving eliminate the traction issue, but it's an expensive solution.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Stainless Rescue Model: A Forgotten Lost Classic

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco has a lot of great models with stainless handles. I'm currently about to purchase a Harpy in stainless because of my dead end road on the G-10 and CF Harpy to replace the G-10 model I lost or got stolen.

With that pushed aside I do want to say something good about a forgotten stainless handled model and that is the 2 Stainless handled RESCUE models ( C-14 & C-45). Both of those models are built like military tanks. Spyderco has many models that are ridgid and sturdily constructed but I've yet to find any of their models to be any more like a rock than the Stainless Rescue models.

As far as I know that model was only made with ATS-55 blade steel. I've owned at least 5 of them over the years and the one I currenty own is an ATS-55 version. If I was going to push for a stainless Sprint model it would be the Stainless Rescue and probably the C-14.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I carried quite a few SS-handled Spydies back in the 1990s. To be honest, I grew tired of the added weight and rarely carry them any more.

TedP
elena86

Post by elena86 »

And let's not forget that SS handle models(Delicas, Enduras) are hollow grind wich in my opinion is superior to saber grind.
Holland

Post by Holland »

elena86 wrote:And let's not forget that SS handle models(Delicas, Enduras) are hollow grind wich in my opinion is superior to saber grind.
good point, i also love the wear that ss shows. love knives with character :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I carry and use a SS CE Delica 4 occassionaly. Never had an issue with slippage. The Delica locks into my hand very securely but this is a personal thing. I find the Delica much more comfortable to use than my SS CE Police. Most likely due to the individual ergo preference. I also try to avoid the sawing motion with serrations as I prefer a more controled cut. This may be a place where the relative lack of grip of the SS handles comes into play.

It would be ideal if you could handle them before buying (not sure if you own them already or have that opportunity).

I also prefer the hollow grind and looks of the SS Delica to the standard. The only other Delica that beats my SS handled one is the G10 version.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Deacon that is some beautiful engraving on those knives (think its a Delica). I have a Delica SS and EDC from time to time. No issues with slippage here but I do not use it around oil or other lubricants. I see where that could possibly be an issue with slippage.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I carried a stainless Endrua II, then E4 for a combined 5 years before moving on to the G-10 once it came out. I never had any issues with slipperiness, and really liked them. Still pull them out from time to time. G-10 IS G-10 though. :D
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

linuxology wrote:Deacon that is some beautiful engraving on those knives (think its a Delica). I have a Delica SS and EDC from time to time. No issues with slippage here but I do not use it around oil or other lubricants. I see where that could possibly be an issue with slippage.
Thanks, but it's just two photos pieced together to show off both sides of a single Delica II, engraved for me by Marcus Hunt. Will agree that, aside from being a bit tricky to get a firm grip on while opening if the clip is removed, there's little chance of a well designed brushed stainless handle slipping in your hand in normal, everyday, use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another Stainless handled model that I loved was the stainless Caly Jr. model. It was the only one of the Caly Jrs that was hollow ground to my knowledge. It has become a rather rare collector's piece in the past 3 years or so.

And don't forget the stainless handled Lava model.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

The Deacon wrote:I've carried this one quite a few times,

Aloha Bro,

Cripes, I freaked out when you told me you were USING this one!!! :eek: Beautiful piece, that engraving is absolutely insane!

Take care! :cool:

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

jd spydo wrote:another stainless handled model that i loved was the stainless caly jr. Model. It was the only one of the caly jrs that was hollow ground to my knowledge. It has become a rather rare collector's piece in the past 3 years or so.

And don't forget the stainless handled lava model.
;) !!!!

ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I carry an SE SS Cricket every single day.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I often use my Kiwi. The design of it makes it very difficult to loose any grip and I like the extra heft that it has.
On the hunt for...
Tank

Post by Tank »

I use my Adventura all the time. It's stll one of my favorites
-John