The Most Popular and Most Valuable Spyderedged Models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Most Popular and Most Valuable Spyderedged Models?

Post by JD Spydo »

Just today I've gotten out some of my Spyderedged collector pieces as well as some of my older Spyderedged user models. I just got to realizing that some of the Spyderedged models in spite of the fact that they seem to take a back seat to most of the plain edged Spyder models have gone way up on the collector value>> and are being highly sought after.

Also there are some Spyderedged Spyders that have really swelled in demand and value in the past 2 to 3 years. One for instance is the older/original C-60 Ayoob in Spyderedge>> I can't tell you how many people have offered me serious money for mine. Not to mention the fully serrated Catcherman.

So tell us which Spyderedged models you all have that seem to have gone way up in price and popularity? Also which serrated Spyders would you all like to have the most? Or ones you wish were available in Spyderedge.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Invective

Post by Invective »

The MeerKat Reverse S in SE seems to be a popular little item now. I think all the Lil-Temp's in SE are getting pretty pricy as well.

Also, you have just made me aware of the Fully Serrated Catcherman, and now I must have one. Also I want to get an old SpyderHawk in SE as well, but those are hard to come upon for a decent price ):
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

More than once I have thought about sending my Breeden Rescue out for some teeth.

What's a rescue knife without teeth?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great post, JD! Off the top of my head, I would probably say that the SE Jot Singh Khalsa seemed to fetch a pretty penny last time I looked (of course, the PE version seems to too). I've also noticed that some of the older 50/50 and 60/40 PE/SE models are still highly sought-after. (Speaking of which, I would LOVE to see more Spydies made available in 50/50 or 60/40 "Combo-Edge" variations). :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Most popular? Endura

Most Valuable? The Dive Probe.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Just a slightly off topic question I have a pe tenacious and a spyderedge tenacious the pe serrations seem to be different and sharper.
Is this just the illusion because of the break between the straight edge or are they different in anyway I know the sharpness thing is relative and could be changed but still curious.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The CE version of the original C22 Walker would probably bring the highest price of any single "toothed" Spyderco consistently. The Evolution set fetches more, but the SE Zowada Worker is only part of it. In terms of greatest increase in value, there are a few different versions of the Q which routinely sell for 6 times their original MSRP and more even if they're serrated. I can't think of a single model available in both PE and with serrations where the serrated version is more highly sought after by collectors, even if it is the less common version. In my experience, "teeth" always lower collector interest and thus collector value.
Bladekeeper wrote:Just a slightly off topic question I have a pe tenacious and a spyderedge tenacious the pe serrations seem to be different and sharper.
Is this just the illusion because of the break between the straight edge or are they different in anyway I know the sharpness thing is relative and could be changed but still curious.
I'm assuming you mean PS rather than PE, since a PE would have no teeth. Can't speak for the Tenacious, but I know on most models available both ways, there's a difference in the way PS and SE blades are ground, since the PE section of the PS blade is edge ground on both sides. That could account for the difference but, of course, it could just be the difference in out of the box sharpness between two knives which were sharpened by hand.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

While not the most valuable dollar-wise, my SE Military is very valuable to me and one of the most useful knives I regularly carry. The serrations are key to its effectiveness and make cutting tasks so much easier and efficient. The full SE is now discontinued, so maybe it will go up in value. But I really don't care because I'll never sell mine.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JD Spydo

Models that definitely need teeth

Post by JD Spydo »

PanChango wrote:More than once I have thought about sending my Breeden Rescue out for some teeth.

What's a rescue knife without teeth?
That's a question I would like an answer to myself "PanChango" :) I can't for the life of me figure out why they never offered either one of Jason Breeden's great designs in Spyderedge :confused:

The inner arch part of the C-111 Captain blade would truly be like an alligator of a knife if they would make one in Spyderedge. And with all the other RESCUE type knives that Spyderco has done with serrations it just baffles me to no end why the Jason Breeden RESCUE wasn't offered with teeth :confused:

To the other Brother who mentioned the Jot Singh Khalsa in SE>> I had almost forgot that it had at one time been offered in SE. I had one myself but it's been a while. But more than that I would truly like to see the return of the C-60 Ayoob in Spyderedge.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I will always be in for more teeth.

A SE or CE Para 2 would be fantastic. Can't think of a better knife to recevie the treatment.

While we are at it I would love to try out serrations in some of the new "super steels" M4, CTS XHP, CPM S90V. I imagine some of these would be very difficult to serrate but they would cut forever.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

For me, the best was the SE Spyderhawk Salt. What a great knife!

Ken
玉鋼
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

hi Joe ! I have three, a NIB Endura handle Spyderhawk , NIB CF Harpy , and a NIB SS CE Native in AUS10 . Regards MG2
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It is obvious.SPYDERCO POLICE SS, SE is most popular.
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:hi Joe ! I have three, a NIB Endura handle Spyderhawk , NIB CF Harpy , and a NIB SS CE Native in AUS10 . Regards MG2
CF Harpy, Droool!!
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:It is obvious.SPYDERCO POLICE SS, SE is most popular.
As far as longevity and being a flagship model you can't say enough about the Police model. It is one of the most iconic of all Spyderco models without a doubt. Now I also believe you can put the Harpy right up there with the Police as far as being in the main line up for so long and being such a dependable tool over the years.

As far as Spyderco icons go you can't say enough about the Endura and Delica for the years of popularity they have enjoyed.

I think the serrated Police and Harpy models should both be offered in many different handle selections. Not to mention different blade steels for each type of handle.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Deacon yup I meant ps sorry I post late usually 4-5am insomnia is to blame but I thought they were different thanks the full spyderedge is still sharp as but not to the level of the ps.
Thank you sir .
Colin

Post by Colin »

Actually, my Dad got me an awesome Gerber (pardon my language) strap cutter-Window breaker for Christmas. Although it is not a "knife" per say but it is a excellent, safe and lightweight tool. You do have to have proper credentials to purchase one so some strange reason but it should be a standard in any rescue kit. I wish spyderco made something like it (hint hint) here is one: http://www.gerbergear.com/Military/Kniv ... r_22-01944
Medics do it 90 times a minute!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I have a feeling the Aqua Salt is going to be up there.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:As far as longevity and being a flagship model you can't say enough about the Police model. It is one of the most iconic of all Spyderco models without a doubt. Now I also believe you can put the Harpy right up there with the Police as far as being in the main line up for so long and being such a dependable tool over the years.

As far as Spyderco icons go you can't say enough about the Endura and Delica for the years of popularity they have enjoyed.

I think the serrated Police and Harpy models should both be offered in many different handle selections. Not to mention different blade steels for each type of handle.
Amin to " I think the serrated Police and Harpy models should both be offered in many different handle selections."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:Amin to " I think the serrated Police and Harpy models should both be offered in many different handle selections."
With so many people continually asking for a new G-10 Harpy it only makes sense. A Police model with a Micarta handle would be something that would also appeal to a lot of people as well.

At one time there were many of the main line models that were offered up both in plain edge and Spyderedge. I do remember the JD Smith, C-50 Centofante, the Viehle and even the Caly Jr and Caly Senior were all made available in SE. I'm sure some of the aforementioned are getting pricey as time goes by.