New Para 2 late lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
locknload

New Para 2 late lock

Post by locknload »

Hi all new here but not to Spyderco. I've owned various Spyderco models for the last 15 years or so. I finally succumb to the powers of the Para 2. For me, it's the perfect folder, absolutely love it. I started with an Earth Brown sprint then had to have and just received an all black version.

The lock's action on my sprint is perfect, silky smooth with a commanding snap as it seats. The new S30V's lock is tighter to depress (which is OK) but has a later lock up than my sprint. I don't have the lock sticking issue others have had, I'm merely concerned with the late lock up and wondering how much life may be shaved off the lock from the get go. In other words, it's already set further into the blade when locked so will it wear soon than my early lock up sprint?

I could exchange it for another one as I haven't used it yet, just curious what you guys thought and what variances you may have seen in your multiple Para 2s. Here's a pic. Thanks

O.C.D. locknload :D

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I would say that looks perfectly fine and not to be bothered by it at all. I have seen later...in fact I think that my 20CP might be a bit later than that one. And it will probably still outlast me.
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I ideally want my lockup at 50% or slightly earlier than 50%. You don't want the lockup so early (10-20%) that it could slip off the side of the lock face, and you don't want it so late that it will wear (or bend) to the point it will be fully engaged and develop play.

Your lock engagement on the top Para looks ideal.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

The compression lock is not like a liner or framelock where late lockup=a shorter life (according to some). My discussions with a few makers have changed my opinion on late lockup as it really comes down to fit and finish combined with materials used with a liner or framelock rather then where it is that will influence its longevity.

The compression lock has to physically disform, either at the lock engagement or stop pin, in order to have any significant wear.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
nullity

Post by nullity »

If this is the only thing you can find to worry about, I envy you. :p
but seriously, unless you simply need something to worry about, I wouldn't stress about it.
When it comes to the longevity of a lock, where the lockbar rests is just one of many different things that influence how long the lock will last.
If you really want it to last forever, you need to coat the knife in oil and put it in a safe.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to stop obsessing, use it, and enjoy carrying it.

It can and will wear out, but nobody can tell you when that will be.
Enjoy the short time you have on this earth.
markg

Post by markg »

Zenith wrote:The compression lock is not like a liner or framelock where late lockup=a shorter life (according to some). My discussions with a few makers have changed my opinion on late lockup as it really comes down to fit and finish combined with materials used with a liner or framelock rather then where it is that will influence its longevity.

The compression lock has to physically disform, either at the lock engagement or stop pin, in order to have any significant wear.
What he said... On the Compression Lock where it locks up is pretty irrelevant. Have now worries. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forum locknload!

I echo everyone else. The comp lock operates on different physics than the liner/frame locks. Having to depress it further is probably the main difference.

Even with a frame/liner that has moved completely over (assuming a quality knife) has anyone heard of it ruining the lock security? Sticky ones that don't travel far enough I've witnessed as a bigger problem since it doesn't engage under partial pressure. Honest question, no intent to bicker :) .
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Ill throw out my opinion too, why not. I would hardly call that late, in fact, it looks just fine, if not better. Pretty much what everyone else said before me :p
dmt

Post by dmt »

My black para2 was like that since new, and I've opened and closed it literally thousands of times since I first got it, and the lock hasn't moved any further. My Sage2 on the other hand moved from 30% new, to 90% in a matter of a couple months, but has settled there and doesn't go any further. Hope that brings you a little peace of mind.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

your para is screwed, theres a spyderco disposal plant here in New Zealand, you can pm me for the addy if you like ;)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That lockup looks perfect - would not worry about it at all
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My 20CP sprint is the same way, locks much later than my DLC version did. Doesn't really bother me though it still has plenty life left. The blade will wear out before the lock tab does.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SDR

Post by SDR »

The postage rate to New Zealand will be significantly more than postage to California, assuming that you are in the United States. Save yourself some money and send that obviously inferior Para 2 to me. I will make sure that it is disposed of properly at our new state of the art Spyderco disposal facility here in sunny Southern California. PM me to make the necessary arrangements. And, please, there is no need to thank me. I would do the same for anyone, as I'm sure you would do the same for me if I were if a similar predicament. *Wink*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

SDR wrote:The postage rate to New Zealand will be significantly more than postage to California, assuming that you are in the United States. Save yourself some money and send that obviously inferior Para 2 to me. I will make sure that it is disposed of properly at our new state of the art Spyderco disposal facility here in sunny Southern California. PM me to make the necessary arrangements. And, please, there is no need to thank me. I would do the same for anyone, as I'm sure you would do the same for me if I were if a similar predicament. *Wink*
Oh you must not have been notified, our factory reimburses shipping money, its the least we can do.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a couple of great knives. I am no expert but I don't think you will loose more than 30 minutes of life expectancy. :)

WARNING:
Don't send your knife to those other guys. They are deceiving you . The correct address is;

Jackknifeh
Jackknifeh's house
Jackknifeh's town, state & zip
:D

Jack
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

That lockup is fine and typical of recent P2s.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Fine lockup.
For sticking lock, i use a Sharpie fine point, cover the ramp, work it, it smooths out shortly.
have fun!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Yea, I would say the upper one looks correct, its the lower that is not like ones I have seen. As others have stated. That is not necessarily a concern with this lock type. You still have a sold piece of metal between the bar and tang, so there not really anything that would change the lock up...
locknload

Post by locknload »

Thanks everyone. I guess I was just comparing it to what I already knew and that was my sprint.

OK, now, not trying to be argumentative just curious on the differences in locks and wear. For those that say it won't keep locking further back as time and wear goes on, can you elaborate a little more if possible. You say the compression lock is different than a liner lock but it seems like a liner lock just on the back of the knife instead of belly. Is it something to do with the stop pin or just how the tang fits into the blade. It just seems like as the bar or blade wears down more, it would travel up the blade's rear 'ramp', same as a liner lock. Again, not trying to start any crap, just curious.

Back to the perfect Para 2. I bought a sprint CTS Manix 2 from a guy who sold it after buying a para 2. Guess what I sold after buying my first Para 2? I thought that was kind of funny.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

That's what the inside of your knife looks like, its a little different from a liner lock.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.