How to get dirt out of pivot area?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

How to get dirt out of pivot area?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Today I dropped Delica 4 in the dirt and it got some dirt in the pivot area. So after I was finished with it I took it in and ran it under some water to try and get the dirt out, that didn't work (you can hear the dirt in it when you open and close it, it sounds gritty). So then I put some Rem Oil in it to try and smooth thing up and that didn't work either. How do I get the dirt out of the pivot area? Will it mess anything up? And would you worry about it? Thank you
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

You know that you can take the Delica apart for cleaning,right ? I can't remember if these use a Torx or allen type wrench, but make sure you use the right one and the right size. Check you-tube for tutorials on Delica dis-assembly/re-assembly, as I understand, it's a bit more of a headache that you'd guess, but it still doesn't look too complicated.
It sounds like this is the way you'll want to go.
Nifelheim

Post by Nifelheim »

What if he doesn't want to void the warranty?
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i had sandy grit in my pacific salt, i worked the knife open and closed under running water till it was free of the grit. add a drop of oil after.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

its not that bad to take apart and put back toghter.
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
angusW

Post by angusW »

Fill the sink with warm soapy water and just keep opening and closing it. Eventually you'll get the grit out. If you are bit adventurous, like it was said above, taking it apart allows a complete cleaning but it's not necessary to do that.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Nifelheim wrote:What if he doesn't want to void the warranty?
Then obviously, he doesn't go digging around inside the knife :confused: . Of course,instead of voiding the warranty on a mere $55 knife, he could simply learn to live with the internal grinding that he said he hasn't been able to rectify by cleaning and rinsing.
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

Unscrew the pivot screw some so that the washers will be a little loose. That way it will be easier for water, unscented mineral spirits, or WD 40 to get in there to wash out the grit. I like unscented mineral spirits from Lowe's because I think it just does a better job of removing old oil, gunk, or whatever. After washing out all the grit, let your knife dry good, and then oil the pivot and pivot area good with some good dry type lubricant. Then tighten the pivot screw to the degree you wish.

Bert
ShawnKirkpatrick

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Yeah, I didn't want to take it apart and void the warranty. I'll try some of the other suggestions, I would like to know if something drastic happens to my knife I'm backed up with the warranty.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Wash it like said above. Blow it out with compressed air. Then oil. Taking it apart isn't needed.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Bert T wrote:Unscrew the pivot screw some so that the washers will be a little loose. That way it will be easier for water, unscented mineral spirits, or WD 40 to get in there to wash out the grit. I like unscented mineral spirits from Lowe's because I think it just does a better job of removing old oil, gunk, or whatever. After washing out all the grit, let your knife dry good, and then oil the pivot and pivot area good with some good dry type lubricant. Then tighten the pivot screw to the degree you wish.

Bert
This is the best advice so far. Personally, I don't mind taking a knife apart to thoroughly clean it, , but I certainly understand any apprehension in doing so. And, frankly, I've seldom had cause to do it. As far as the warranty issues go, , ,keep in mind that the warranty only covers manufacturer defects, and while I know that in some rare instances a defect may not present itself until well into the life cycle of the knife, 99 times out of 100 any defects will show themselves rather quickly with regular use. My advice would be to take the suggestions the guys have posted here and see if they work. If they don't, then, and only then would disassembly be a real practical option
Slash

Post by Slash »

I would take it apart. You don't need to worry about voiding your warranty. I doubt the knife will break. It's just a tool and sometimes that's just something you need to do to tools to keep them working properly.
maintaining them is part of the enjoyment of ownership.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

loosen the pivot, flush with warm water and dishsoap, opening and closing the knife, then blow out with compressed air or hold the handle and swing your arm like a mad-man forcing water out of the pivot. Lube the knife, if its still gritty after working in the lube, repeat the process
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

With knives that are pinned and can`t be taken apart,I use compressed air and blow them out,and ones that are screwed together I take apart and clean them.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Take it apart.
It's just a knife - not a TV or something.

I took my Delica 4 apart for cleaning after field dressing and skinning a couple of deer this season and leaving it to dry with all the blood and hair on it. I just didn't have a place at the time to wash it off - and I forgot about it.

It was no problem - just lay it out on a paper towel - clean a put it back together.
Like new!
Could have probubly just soaked it in some warm soapy water - but of course, I had to take it down ;) .
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"