What police model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fifteen54

What police model?

Post by Fifteen54 »

I am looking very carefully at purchasing a Spydie Police. I do know that I would like the full spydie edge on it, however I can't make up my mind about getting the SS or the G-10. Of course I want G-10 scales over the SS but I think the hollow ground blade is more appropriate for the purpose of the knife. Any thoughts?
You can tell a lot about a person by how they keep their knives.
themeatchopper

Post by themeatchopper »

I have a fully spyderedged ss that I really like, one of my favorite knives. The ss knives are all very thin, which makes them very enjoyable to carry. Also, unlike some reviews I've read online, I don't find the handles particularly slippery, even when wet. I don't have any experience with the g10 version, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the ss version.
gnlw

Post by gnlw »

I have both of the SS Police and the Police 3 (with the G10 scales). I'd recommend that you try to handle both in person. To me, they are pretty different in the way they feel and handle. I love both of them, but I think that the Police 3 is more ergonomic, secure in hand, and keeps a sharper edge longer. Good luck with your decision. They're both great knives.
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Police is my all time favorite model. SS PE was in my pocket for 12 years. I have all the models in my collection. Work wise, I would suggest the G-10 model. The grip is better, the feel is more confident as well. I will still stick to my SS though (for my self), because of it's sexy look (according to my wife). :D
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

What do you plan on using it for? This would have a big impact on which one I would get. I have held both and prefer the g10 version.
Spyder Count: 7
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

G10 is going to be several times more grippy in my experience. SS becomes very slick when liquids and/or oils are introduced. For very light duty work it may not matter, but in a self defense situation or harder use I would choose G10 over SS every time.
Fifteen54

Post by Fifteen54 »

Yeah I want it mainly for SD or for a special situation where a smaller blade will not work out. Currently I carry a Dragonfly or Delica ect, rotating around for basic tasks and I think the Police would fill my large knife wants. I do want the G-10 handle, I just don;t know if the FFG blade is appropriate. I have not handled them in person, but the SS's blade seems more stout...
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Having the SS Police, I would say go with the G-10 version for SD. I love the feel of the stainless, but it can be very slick if your hand is sweaty or bloody (as would be likely in an SD scenario). I could definitely envision a hand sliding forward onto the blade in that situation.
liltemp1

Post by liltemp1 »

Both Police models rock...
Attachments
S7300022.jpg
S7300022.jpg (102.1 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
Fifteen54

Post by Fifteen54 »

Oh that seems tempting. How well does that grip tape stay on the SS handle. I have seen that mod many times I am just leery of it because I don;t like things to come apart randomly...
808spyder

Post by 808spyder »

I have the PE SS Police. It is quite a knife which there is a time and place for. Was carrying that once while volunteering at a fundraiser and didn't know what kind of work we would be doing so I brought the Police, when I pulled it out to cut some boxes one guy was like whoa thats a big knife. Needless to say I cut the boxes with ease but I did feel a little awkward because the guy seemed uncomfortable from the knifes sheer awesomeness. But, for SD I think it will fit the bill along with the Civilian.
Fifteen54

Post by Fifteen54 »

Yeah, I would like to get the civ, but it just seems a bit too specialized to EDC. Definitely want to add it my collection one day... That SS police with the griptape seems like a tempting solution to the slipy handle issue...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Police is one of the few Spydies i always prefer in SS. Anything else just seems out of place on this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've got several Police models. By a longshot I prefer the Police 3 version. It's about perfection IMO.

Being picky I suppose I could really wish I had a 52100 or 3V version. Even perhaps a BG42 sprint. To be honest, these aren't needed though. The VG10 P3 is so perfect I had to get a spare for when I wear the first out. 2-3 years later it's not even close to being worn out. In fact, it's just getting better and better as it breaks in.

It's tough for even me to think of improvements to it. The ones I have thought of aren't improvements, just cool things to be different.

I respect the steel version but it doesn't inspire passion like the P3.

joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"