Military due for an upgrade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Doesn't look like a ball bearing lock either.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

sal wrote:Hi Seventynine,

We have had the Military on the design board for quite some time now. We've adapted a new lock for (stop-lock) and it's been in engineering. Then we'll make any ergo and clip adjustments and bring out a "2" model. Don't know yet if we'll use the new pivot bushing on the new Military.

We only have one engineer and Eric and I are responsible for the designs. While we also use outside designers, and we have Michael Janich in-house, the workload for so many models is often high.

I don't think we'll disco the original model when the new model comes out.

sal
Thanks for the update Sal! Any chance of a 4 position clip update, as with the Para 2?
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

HellHound wrote: Any way,does anyone know who was the first to use a vertical moving pin or ball that slides across the carved out arc like butt of the blade and locks it in?
Blackie Collins's bolt action lock?
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I'm sure the Military 2 will be out of site but please do not get rid of the Millie pocket clip. I would sacrifice left handedness of a Millie 2 to keep the same clip. That's one of the things that makes it the Military. The stop lock looks interesting and it seems to incorporate left handed usage. The picture in that patent looks like a Military so maybe you have the right one mapper.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sal said that they might well keep the current Military in production alongside the Military 2, which may be how the clip gets resolved. I find the current Military easy to use left-handed.
pdptrow

News is good

Post by pdptrow »

Sal thanks for the news as always,intriguing. Always appreciate your fly on the wall insights. Am looking forward to any further updates.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
angusW

Post by angusW »

JNewell wrote:Sal said that they might well keep the current Military in production alongside the Military 2, which may be how the clip gets resolved. I find the current Military easy to use left-handed.
I find the left handed Military easier to use left handed ;)

Never thought of that regarding keeping the original Military in production and keeping the same clip. Who knows where the new design will lead them. Will be looking forward to it for sure.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

I sure do hope they keep the current clip design. The hourglass-clip on the Para2 was a complete dealbreaker for me. It's not a bad clip, but it doesn't fit the design imho. I wouldn't even mind if the Millie stayed tip-down, as it makes more sense for a blade like that to carry tip-down.
vega77

Post by vega77 »

Things that I would like to be different with the current military.
These are based on my experience with one knife and may not be representative.

The screws for the handle scales are small and go direct in to the plastic spacer.
Choil gimping ok but the g10 scales mask half of the gimping.
The liner is skeletonised but the laser left a small blob of metal on the liner that was scratching the blade and the bushing.

vega77
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Ya reviewed the schematics,changed my opinion when i saw the first picky i was like its an axis lock, but now I'll just call it the WTF? lock :D after looking at that pdf http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6918184.pdf I'm fairly impressed the lock pin and the moving pin were fused in one part, pretty cool.
thewannabesurvivalist
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

I couldn't be more excited for any knife than the Military 2. Sal, I know you're great at listening to your customers, and I am but one of many, I'd like a sprint Millie 2 with s90v (or the Carpenter equivalent), carbon fiber or titanium, and stop lock or comp lock :D .
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
Tank

Post by Tank »

The new lock looks like it will be left hand friendly. Will the clip be 4-way to work for us lefties? The left hand mili is still one of my favorite knifes.
-John
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

Man, I'd be all over this if they made it with that stop lock and CTS-20 steel. Here's hoping they get the new design out the door soon!