Help me spend my money !!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I would think a Sebenza would be easy to re-sell if you decided the money could have been better spent. Also, most inet sites have a 30 day return policy if the knife is in good shape, you still have the box, etc. I'd check out the return policy of the site you buy a very expensive ($200+ IMO) knife you have never handled before. Then you can make sure it feels good in your hand and things like that. I doubt if you'll have problems with the quality of a Sebenza but sometimes a great knife just isn't for you.

Jack
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I'd just go with the Spyderco...2 excellent quality knives is better than one! Plus, if you get a millie or Para 2, you get the same steel as the Sebenza, with Spyderco's great heat treat (which I hear is a bit harder than Reeve's, and therefore holds a slightly better edge).

Personally, I'd highly, highly recommend picking up a Caly 3 CF...the materials feel much more luxurious than the original G-10 and VG-10. I love the glossy carbon fiber scales, and the super high performance ZDP with an amazingly thin grind. For cutting performance, the Para 2 and Caly 3 should be as good or better than the Sebenza. I know there some "intangible" value to the Sebenza, and I'm not trying to say that the Spydies are the same exact quality, but as some said, Spyderco give you the bang for your buck. Personally, the Caly 3 CF looks and feels like a $300+ custom to me, or at least gives the same amount of enjoyment.
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

mdsmith wrote:TI bought a Ritter mini grip and a pair of Wilkins grips instead.
You didn't check out the Gold Class Grip?
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

Well, I decided to take most of your advise and go with the Spydies. I actually just ordered one that wasn't even on my list. I found a blue zdp delica and couldn't help but snatch it up. I just love that handle color, and its a great steel too!! I'll probably still pick up the mili, para mili, or a g10 delica. I'm on a bit of a delica kick.
Manix Guy 2

My 2 cents

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

As a lefty thought I would chime in . Nothing wrong with with a Reeve and yes I do carry it time to time , it is not my most expensive folder . I would go with more bang for your bucks - lefty Military ,along with CF Caly , or the G10 Para 2 for the price of a small Sebenza . Since you have saved so long variety would be my option . Regards from another lefty MG2
spydernewbie

Post by spydernewbie »

In my humble opinion, since you seem financial strapped, I would get the spyderco knives so that you can have fun using them.

In your case, I would only get the sebenza if you only wanted a safe queen. But no one really wants a safe queen.

I have been in your situation before and bought an expensive knife like the sebenza and just couldnt bear to use it.

Only when I was able to make enough money that if I lost the sebenza and it wouldnt bother me much, then I went out and re bought that expensive knife.

You can get a Sage 2 and some other knives.

Good luck!