For all our forumites down under, stay safe.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tonydahose

For all our forumites down under, stay safe.

Post by tonydahose »

i just found this story on the net. we have a bit of snow up here but mother natuure is just beating you guys when you are down. take care down there.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Cyclone Yasi is going to hit real hard, it's just starting to come in now. Hope all our Aussie brothers stay safe and everyone comes out alive.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

It's all going down about 1300 kilometres north of me in Cairns. Best of luck to anyone up there atm! It's a massive system !

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemil ... mscol.html

lol
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Take care guys! :)
dem0n1k wrote:Image
lol
No matter how big of a disaster, this still made me LOL. :D
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

A brief summary:

So far, no loss of life or serious injury but its early days yet and some areas are out-of-contact still.

Pics of the effects and damage can be seen here:

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/envi ... tedImage=0

Infrastructure and farmland damage is extensive. House and building damage is also very bad in some areas.

Surge tides have just added to the damage in certain areas.

Crop loss is also going to be VERY bad in affected areas, so bananas and sugar cane prices will be severely effected upwards. This area is the main producer of bananas for Australia as a whole so the losses are going to be significant to the every-day man.

Regards,

BRIAN
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

More details and various News summaries can be found here:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/full-c ... aces-yasi/
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

An Update if I may, we have one confirmed loss as a result of this cyclone.

A 23-year old man had been asphyxiated/suffocated after he ran a diesel generator in a sealed room to provide power for his needs.......... :eek: :rolleyes:

Sad to say, he's not the first person I've heard of doing this over the years BUT the mind still boggles that people can be so tragically stupid/naive/silly............ :o

The damage is extensive and costly..........70-80% of the banana crop has been lost from an area where approx 80% of Australia's banana's are grown.........the supermarket price will obviously rise hugely in the next few weeks/months.......estimated cost of loss $400-500 Million.

Loss to the Cane crops are similar if not more, $500+ Miilion.

Damage to property and infrastructure runs into the Billions BUT life goes on and Aussies being who they are are rapidly getting stuck in to recover, repair and replace as much as possible, as soon as possible.

The Nation, outside of affected areas in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria, will be charged a Storm Levy as a one-off Tax to help pay for all of the work in the damaged and destroyed areas..........

Regards,

BRIAN
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

glad you made it through safely. as for stupid people/acts they are/happen everywhere. we call it job security for us. i once went to a cabon monoxide run where a family was using a gas powered pump to drain a flooded basement. the pump was in the basement :rolleyes: where they were all working. what was even worse was that one of the family members was a medic on the job. i am pretty sure they covered CO poisoning in paramedic school.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

the damage is very heavy around the cairns/innisfail area... but luckily for most residents of the area they had plenty of warning & most have experienced tropical cyclones before. one death & it's more like a darwin award death! :P

some intense images of the aftermath :-

eek! :eek:
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

There is another pic somewhere of a yacht thats ended up in someones pool, almost a perfect fit! It didn't look too damaged and nor did the pool BUT definitely a Mobile Crane job/lift to get the yacht out...........you may even be able to hire one.............in a month or three! ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Stay safe guys! Keep a spydie or a few...close in case you need to cut yourself outta that mess.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!