knife storage...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lev

knife storage...

Post by Lev »

Most of the knives I have are users, but for my recent purchases (Persian (red) and Shabaria) I have decided to just store for the time being. Curious as to whether I should leave them in the plastic/bubble wrap inside the box or remove them from the plastic and just sit them in the box. No experience storing knives, so...

I know a lot of you have some safe queens, so what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Lev
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would keep them in plastic. I read some comments that bolsters on Persian were scratched when the knife was in the box, just from movement of drawer. Also keep them in the room, which is fairly dry, otherwise oil steel surfaces. I keep my safe queens in display cases no oil for few years with no signs of stains or discoloration on the SS blades (VG10, S30V, ZDP189).
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Lev

Post by Lev »

Thanks Roman. I agree about the bolsters Scatches appear out of nowhere. I guess the reason for asking was that I thought maybe moisture might get trapped in the plastic and cause problems. Though if you're checking periodically, maybe no problem. Maybe, right?
marknett

Post by marknett »

Please don't take this the wrong way because I always try to be respectful . but as for me personnally I don't think I could buy any knife without using in and showing it off a little bit . :D
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

Put some Tuf-Cloth on it and leave it in the bubble wrap inside the box.
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I leave my CF Caly 3 in bubble wrap in its box when i'm not carrying it. I figure they sit that way in warehouses for who knows how long without rusting...that's good enough for me. I take it out now and then and wipe it down with mineral oil if i haven't carried it for a while. Something i'm very particular about is making sure i don't put it away with ANY fingerprints on it anywhere because i feel like the oils in your skin might patina the blade or something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cckw

Post by cckw »

I collect WW-2 items and have some experience with careful storage. inside the plastic is probably going to be OK, however, I would keep it in it's box but the plastic under the knife. I store things like old military medals in a metal drawer unit with pieces of a very old wool blanket lining the bottoms of the drawers. the drawer unit is in a room furthest far from the kitchen and no air fresheners etc are sprayed in the room.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I have no long-term experience. But, all my Spydies are out of the boxes and into a "Spyderpac." Before they go into their Spyderpac pouches, I give the metal bits a once-over with the Tuf-cloth.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

+1 on the Spyderpac. I also like the smaller travel cases - nice and cushioned for your knives comfort.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185