Paramilitary 2 Lock Variations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SirIsaacNewton

Paramilitary 2 Lock Variations

Post by SirIsaacNewton »

I didn't find anything with my search but I have been fondling this thing and I love the blade but I can't get used to the compression lock. Do you think we will ever see a Paramilitary 2 without a compression lock?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

In the absence of any real facts, I'll speculate :) I think that, almost by definition, it would not be a Para2 if it had a different lock. There might be room for a similar blade in a different handle with a different lock, but then it wouldn't be a Para anymore... :D
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

JNewell wrote:In the absence of any real facts, I'll speculate :) I think that, almost by definition, it would not be a Para2 if it had a different lock. There might be room for a similar blade in a different handle with a different lock, but then it wouldn't be a Para anymore... :D
You kind of stole my thunder. I was wondering if it would still be the Para if the lock mechanism were different?

Of course, there are the examples of the Manix vs Manix 2, and the Sage series that are contrary to my logic.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

mikerestivo wrote:You kind of stole my thunder. I was wondering if it would still be the Para if the lock mechanism were different?

Of course, there are the examples of the Manix vs Manix 2, and the Sage series that are contrary to my logic.
The Sage is an interesting one, since the whole purpose of the series is to put the same blade into a series of locks. :)

The Manix variations had different blades and handles, though. Heck, the Para1 and Para2 have different blades and handles. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You could make a similar liner-lock or frame-lock Para2 with a belt sander and a Military. :)
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

It would be a Para 2.5

Fixed :)
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Funny. When the compression lock came out everyone wanted the Military to be made with it. The compression lock is my favorite lock, because it is the one I trust the most. However, it does not have that THWACK!!! sound that the Military does when it is opened quickly. Not that I do that often.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, if Spyderco had wanted to replace the compression lock on the Para, then the P2 would have a different lock, just like the Manix 2 and the Centofante III and IV. I also think their adding a second lock type, other than possibly a compression frame lock, is pretty unlikely. Granted, the Sage is being produced simultaneously with multiple locks, but that was the whole idea of the Sage project. No other Spyderco has been produced that way.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SirIsaacNewton

Post by SirIsaacNewton »

I kinda figured that the compression lock was a defining feature of the paramilitary. Darn it I wish I could get used to the lock I know it is an amazing lock and super reliable but it just isn't my thing personally. I don't know if I should fight it or just embrace it. It is kinda like how I prefer brunettes over blondes. No real reason to it but no matter how hard I try I can't do blondes. Such is life thanks for the input....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SirIsaacNewton wrote:I kinda figured that the compression lock was a defining feature of the paramilitary. Darn it I wish I could get used to the lock I know it is an amazing lock and super reliable but it just isn't my thing personally. I don't know if I should fight it or just embrace it. It is kinda like how I prefer brunettes over blondes. No real reason to it but no matter how hard I try I can't do blondes. Such is life thanks for the input....
Man, i can relate to all of this right down to brunettes over blondes :D

But i will say, after using my Para for about a week, i am IN LOVE with this knife, more so than just about any other Spydie i own and that's quite an accomplishment considering a month ago i was sure this knife wasn't for me. The lock is definitely not my preference, but the rest of the knife is superb enough for me to adjust to the lock, and admittedly it's not THAT hard to get used to if you use your EDC a lot like i do...it eventually becomes second nature. My only issue is getting lock confusion when i go back and forth between different knives/locks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

sovereign wrote:Funny. When the compression lock came out everyone wanted the Military to be made with it. The compression lock is my favorite lock, because it is the one I trust the most. However, it does not have that THWACK!!! sound that the Military does when it is opened quickly. Not that I do that often.
I agree on trust - the only other lock I trust as much is (sorry) the Axis, and although I've been using them since they were first introduced and never broken a single spring, that does factor in somewhere in the back of my consciousness. I think the compression lock is brilliant.

I'm not sure (my opinion, YMMV?) that the THWACK is always a plus. It drives my wife nuts and scares other folks. The G10 and CF ones make slightly different sounds, sort of like a mahogany guitar makes a different sound than a rosewood guitar...and the Ti version is totally different, obviously.

The only lick on the compression lock (again, for me, I know other people have different results) is that it's not the most ambi-friendly. I am working on that... :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That's funny. I find the compression lock to be the easiest lock to use ever. It opens and closes safely, and almost effortlessly.

The one I can't seem to get is the uncaged ball lock.
:bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'm primarily left handed. I can use it fine right-handed; left-handed is a skill I'm working on. :spyder:
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I used to think the Para was 'funny looking' and had a strange lock....

Then I got to use a Para 2 for a whole week, all to myself....(Thanks KF for the passaround!) and I utterly fell in love with the knife! The Para 2 will soon be my EDC, displacing my well loved Caly 3. I found the compression lock to be simple to use one handed, and the knife felt so 'right' in my hand. I can't wait for my order to finally ship!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

I don't understand how people can't get used to the comp lock. It's so easy and great to use. I don't see how people can't get used to any lock for that matter. I have liner locks, frame, cbbl, axis, mid, comp, to name some and I can use them all fine. If the Military had a comp lock it'd be perfect.
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I can see how it would be a little more difficult to use left handed.
:bug-red-white
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I'm a righty, but I often try to open my knives with my left hand, just in case I ever have to. I actually found the Para easier to open and close with my left hand rather then my right. Not sure what everyone is doing, but it befuddles me when people say it isn't lefty friendly. It's also one of the strongest locks out there, I'd trust it over pretty much any others.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Reeper22 wrote:I don't understand how people can't get used to the comp lock. It's so easy and great to use. I don't see how people can't get used to any lock for that matter. I have liner locks, frame, cbbl, axis, mid, comp, to name some and I can use them all fine. If the Military had a comp lock it'd be perfect.
Yes, you're right, I have a similar problem understanding why some people cannot do simple arithmetic like multiplying two six digit numbers, or adding up a column of twenty or so four digit ones, without resorting to a calculator or pencil and paper. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!