Back from the factory sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Great haul guys. That is one experience I would be happy to do regardless of the climate. I'm really thinking of taking some vacation around this time next year and fly to Golden. Seems like a lovely place.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I'm so goddamn jealous :(

Next year, one of you kind forumites must do some shopping for me :)
Blades

Post by Blades »

Congratulations to everyone on their scores! Early bird gets the :spyder:
I would not have been able to handle the cold. We just had a Panera Bread open here in Fayetteville NC(at 6AM), and the first 500 people received a mug and free coffee for a month. I went for my wife, but it wiped me out. I have some medical things going on, and thought I would be okay--Nope. :) But my wife is happy. :D
--Jason--
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Those are some awesome deals! Colorado is only 1 state away, but it's still over an 8 hour drive to Golden. I'm definitely considering making the trip next year. Been wanting to visit Denver anyway.
:bug-red-white
chiknives23

Post by chiknives23 »

nice haul everybody who went i will definitely have to try and get out there next time around
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Next year, I'm flying down to visit my brother in Broomfield (who made a late appearance at the showroom today, just to appease me). I dunno if he wants to come along, but I plan on getting there plenty early. There's something about doing something that only fanatics would do that makes getting what they get even better.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

niwot

A good haul

Post by niwot »

Another great sale. The two militarily models were line send backs, the rest I was able to snag. Next year I'll make sure I get there earlier than 6:15 to ensure I can find a para.
Attachments
2010-11-20 13.47.55.jpg
2010-11-20 13.47.55.jpg (98.39 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Niwot,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx for the support.

sal
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Amazing ... a Chicago for $10 ... I am almost crying here :P
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

It was quite an experience. I was in the first group in and with three people shopping with me I was still not able to find all that I was looking for. Still walked out with some great deals.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
LDB

Post by LDB »

I know their goal is to sell out 100%. I know people get there 12 or more hours early to get in first. Even so, it seems a little sad for later people that early folks get 3 or 4 dozen pieces and the later folks get slim pickings. Is there a system fair to all that would allow a little more equitable distribution of product and still allow selling out 100%? Perhaps when they open they count how many are queued and set a limit in the 6-12 piece range until that many have gone through and then it's no limit? That would mean waiting in line a second time to get to the no limit portion of the sale of course. Everyone loves and wants a bargain but it sure seems like some are stocking merchandise not adding to their Spyderco collection. It's a shame the guys who would really want them to keep them can't get them because merchants have beaten them to them and bought by the dozens.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I think the current system is fine. It is easiest for the crew @ SFO as they are already stretched really thin that day (although everybody there was very friendly and very helpful) Also the people who are willing to spend the night outside should be rewarded with first peeks.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Red Berens

Post by Red Berens »

cougar337 wrote:That was a really cool story! That's what I love with most of the people here on the forums is that it's members will go out of their way for one another.

My wife and I got there around 5:45am and man it was cold! very foggy and a slight breeze but we prepared with layered clothing, hot tea and hot packs! It was amazing to see tents set up and people huddled in sleeping bags......and I thought I was hard core getting up at 4am....not even close!

I also met some nice people in line and it was a great sale as usual. I did make off with a haul this year:
Hey Cougar - you two were standing right behind me in line. Wish we'd gotten to talk but I was so cold and sleepy. Hopefully I'll see you there next year.
Bulldog856

Post by Bulldog856 »

To all the late comers..... Do the phrases "The early bird gets the worm" and "You snooze you lose" ring a bell?

There were a lot of great people at the sale! I only observed a few examples of bad behavior. There was a group of college freshmen (I think they were the ones with the tent) that were loud, and used a lot of profane language while waiting in line. I watched one of them take a container of cookies, eat the contents, and "hide" the container behind a plant in the lobby rather than disposing of it properly. I was also very disappointed to watch 8 people arrive a few minutes before the first group went in. Each of the 8 individuals joined up with people at the very front of the line. I was shocked that many of us had been waiting in line for 5 or more hours but the newcomers were allowed to "cut" in front of everyone.

None of this reflects negatively on the Spyderco organization or the way the event was handled. It is unfortunate that bad behavior of a few individuals was allowed to spoil an otherwise wonderful event!

Thank you to Sal and his team at Spyderco for providing this great opportunity to purchase their high quality products at a reduced price!

Bob
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Red,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Hey Bob,

Sorry for the bad behavior of the few. It's not common around Spyderco people. We find them to be generally fair and congenial.

sal
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

SOrry I missed this sale again :(

Every year I try to get my wife to let me make the trip overseas to Golden so I can meet up with Sal and the Crew. Sadly, I am relegated to only admiring the products, and the conversations are left for the virtual space.

Glad to hear that everyone in attendance managed to snag some bargains. Pity that it is sometimes marred by inconsiderate minority that tinge an otherwise good event with bad stains. Happens in all aspects of life sadly.

Next year save me some gear guys :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
LDB

Post by LDB »

Bulldog856 wrote:I watched one of them take a container of cookies, eat the contents, and "hide" the container behind a plant in the lobby rather than disposing of it properly.

Bob
I hope you retrieved it and handed it back to him loudly announcing "Here, you accidentally dropped this behind the plant over there when you were looking for the trash can.".
LDB

Post by LDB »

Bulldog856 wrote:To all the late comers..... Do the phrases "The early bird gets the worm" and "You snooze you lose" ring a bell?

Bob
Certainly they do and I don't think anyone suggested those coming early shouldn't get to go first. I only questioned if it was fair for early people to get 3 and 4 dozen at a time when they are possibly buying to resell and others who waited but not as long get slim pickings. I know, the answer will be get there earlier but that still doesn't solve ebayers scarfing up large quantities to the detriment of legitimate buyers farther back in the line.
kbrooks

Post by kbrooks »

Bulldog856 wrote:To all the late comers..... Do the phrases "The early bird gets the worm" and "You snooze you lose" ring a bell?

There were a lot of great people at the sale! I only observed a few examples of bad behavior. There was a group of college freshmen (I think they were the ones with the tent) that were loud, and used a lot of profane language while waiting in line. I watched one of them take a container of cookies, eat the contents, and "hide" the container behind a plant in the lobby rather than disposing of it properly. I was also very disappointed to watch 8 people arrive a few minutes before the first group went in. Each of the 8 individuals joined up with people at the very front of the line. I was shocked that many of us had been waiting in line for 5 or more hours but the newcomers were allowed to "cut" in front of everyone.

None of this reflects negatively on the Spyderco organization or the way the event was handled. It is unfortunate that bad behavior of a few individuals was allowed to spoil an otherwise wonderful event!

Thank you to Sal and his team at Spyderco for providing this great opportunity to purchase their high quality products at a reduced price!

Bob
I thought the line seemed to grow right before they opened the door. I was about #15 in line, and I didn't even get in with the first group.

Overall, I had a great time though. Left with several great knives. I think I'm going to shoot for the front of the line next year. No excuse not to, since I live in Golden. Thanks to everyone at Spyderco for putting on this event for us.
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Well, after driving through thick fog in the dark (why Golden has no streetlights is beyond me) and being about as cold as I have been in some time for way too long I think it was pretty fair that I landed what I did. That being said, I plan to shoot for 0400 next year.

Jeff