C36GTIP First Look - Military, CPM-M4, Ti/G10!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

C36GTIP First Look - Military, CPM-M4, Ti/G10!

Post by JNewell »

First look - am in the middle of things but just uploaded a quick video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_qMeNZsYk It's 720p and worth watching in HD if your connection supports that...

This knife is really impressive. It competes with some folders that sell at twice the price, in my honest opinion. What else can I say? First, thanks to Roger, Sal, and the others who brought this to us. Second, it was absolutely worth the wait.

Enjoy!

I have a few Q&D stills that I'll upload shortly.

John
Arkan

Post by Arkan »

I want one too :(
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

Looks great John, thanks for the vid.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

That does look a really nice knife ... one thing that struck me though, purely from an aesthetic viewpoint, but I would have preferred it with a lighter G10, like Foliage Green perhaps.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
unit

Post by unit »

Well done. I agree with your assessment on all points except which clip looks better (LOL).

I really like how the lock bar is done. I appreciate the smaller contact area and the steel on steel contact vs the Ti on steel of other knives (such as the Ti Military as originally released).

Again, nice video, I was skeptical of the length at first but your style, lighting, and very intelligent commentary made the time pass quickly.

Thanks!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Man! That's reaaaal fine! The Ti looks absolutely beautiful! :eek:
Can't wait to get mine. :)
That's a rather interesting way to implement the steel insert, I always thought it'd be something like on Lion Steel knives. Though that's a very elegant way to put it, doesn't mess with the aesthetics that much.
Thanks a lot for the vid!
OtisCampbell

Post by OtisCampbell »

A beautiful knife... I'm very glad I have one on the way! :D
Badhammer

Post by Badhammer »

Thank you John. Well done and very much appreciated though now I'm more anxious then ever for Saturday to get here so I can handle mine in person.
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

get mine tomorrow! Thanks for the look
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

Great knife and review.Glade to see it's out.I love the steel insert on the
lockbar,I hope they make replacements because the knife could last forever.
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

It is an awesome knife for sure, but it was... not as expected should I say. I do like the SS liner insert, which ill probably buy another Ti millie in the future once its in full production with it [at least thats what I took from kristis message]. But It was a slight buzz kill for me, and pls don't let me get you down, this is just my opinion on it. The knife feels great and all - but I think, especially with the advent of strider and such having done the g10 ti combo for a while now, and having felt that, and seeing this millie, Im kind of 'meh' on it. I guess one of the bigger things is the color combo, yes the black and Ti is seen everywhere, and for reason at that [people like it] etc, and that might be why im feeling the buzz kill/not leading up to the hype. So purely aesthetics etc wise, its subpar to my hype.

The little additions are great though
The introduction of the ss on the lockbar is a great innovation, and I think that is something that held to the hype,
The g10 does improve the design by:1. making it lighter 2. making it much more grippy || a 3. for some people would be looks, but pls see above, for me its... bland I guess, and I preferred the Ti on Ti uniform look for this model [since having a strider]
The cpm-m4 is an awesome blade. no complaints whatsoever. Cuts like a champ, holds its edge like a champ, plays like a champ. You just need to remember to add that Tuf glide, or 3 in one, or whatever rust protectant you use on the blade, since the m4 is more prone to rust than some of the other steels.

And some may ask if it wasn't the black g-10 then what were you expecting/wanting? Maybe something along the lines of the leaf storm, having the natural g10/"g11", or an added color like navy or a green [done right of course, we have all seen camo/foliage green, but a more regular green with some transluscency perhaps]. Just a spice of life, and to quickly indicate yes that is the cpm-m4 sprint run milli with g10 and Ti. I hope this makes sense

This is my mini/long review. If i thread jacked ya I apologize, and I did watch your vid to get your thoughts on it too, and they are all valid and I am greatly happy that you are happy with that purchase!

Jeff
Billy

Post by Billy »

Great video! Can't wait to get mine in hand!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Damnit! I want one. Hate you all! :p
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I just got my card charged so it's on the way. Good video and thanks for the fingernail explanation. I was wondering about that as you were opening the box. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Great looking knife. Thanks for the video.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
MCM

Post by MCM »

Thanks so much for the vid!
Its been a long year, but worth the wait.
Cant wait to do it again!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

John,

If you have access to the regular Ti Millie, can you comment on the "feel" of the lock engagement between the two? My Ti has a distinct feel as the lock slides across the steel of the mating surface. I guess I'm looking for a smoother experience...

--Jason
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Nicely done! I'm a bit envious you were the first to get yours... but mine should be here tomorrow :D

Looks great, and the lockbar insert looks good and beefy. That was the part I wanted most to see. I knew in my minds eye how the rest would be.

Thanks again!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MCM wrote:Thanks so much for the vid!
Its been a long year, but worth the wait.
Cant wait to do it again!
Hah...if my wife ever gets hold of you... :eek: :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jasong911 wrote:John,

If you have access to the regular Ti Millie, can you comment on the "feel" of the lock engagement between the two? My Ti has a distinct feel as the lock slides across the steel of the mating surface. I guess I'm looking for a smoother experience...

--Jason
Jason, I don't have the Ti Military, but I have a lot of Ti RIL-type knives and most have a little "sticktion" when unlocking. This one does not - it is very similar to the feel of the (steel on steel) Gayle Bradley.