Mind boggling quality/value

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kawr

Mind boggling quality/value

Post by kawr »

Is what the Persistence is. I was amazed at how stout and well crafted this little blade was. Comparing the Persistence to other similar high value knives from other companies, I find the Persistence to be much better and its not even close. Theres no blade play whatsoever when locked open which suprised me since I find blade play in $100+ dollar knives all the time. The G-10 scales are supposedly medium quality but feels good in the hand and isnt too rough. Smooth opening/closing and easy to access lock. Most suprising thing of all to me was the perfectly centered blade... In a 28 dollar knife. Amazing. Comparing the Persistence side by side with the BM Mini Grip, the Persistence has better F&F in just about every aspect. While the Mini Grip has better steel I find it ridiculous that a knife that costs nearly 50 dollars more can be inferior in many ways.

Spyderco could easily demand higher profit margins on their high value line of knives but they dont and they dont skimp on the quality. Thank you Spyderco for doing one **** of a job. :D :spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I agree. My Persistence has great lockup and fit and finish, and 8Cr13Mov is pretty good for most tasks (it's actually the steel I use most for medium/hard use).
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just curious but where exactly does this steel rank compared to everything else, like say 440?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kawr

Post by kawr »

Evil D wrote:Just curious but where exactly does this steel rank compared to everything else, like say 440?
Hard to say but I've read its pretty comparable to something like AUS8. 8Cr13MoV has pretty high carbon content and holds an edge reasonably well with average corrosion resistance. It's not an amazing steel but it gets the job done.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

8Cr13MoV is modeled after japanese aus8, so I'd say they are pretty close.

One of the chinese kitchen knife maker wants better stainless steel than what's available, and none of the foundries would make any for him because market is too small, so he started his own and thus 8cr13mov was born.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Yeah 8cr13 is great but I believe it isn't quite as high end as 440c in chemistry at least...8cr13 has .80% carbon compared to .95-1.something % carbon in 440c. 440c has more chromium I believe too. I think 8cr13mov has more vanadium though, which helps a lot with strength/wear resistance (which translates into edge holding). I'd say 8cr13mov probably isn't too far below 440c in edge holding, and probably a bit above aus8 steel, which has slightly less carbon (.7-75 I believe).

I think most spyderco's fit under the great quality/value banner. Enduras/delicas/centofante 3 in VG-10 for $50 and native in s30v for $50ish are pretty amazing deals
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

My most recent purchase was a Persistence. I was also very impressed by the quality. I wasn't really surprised because I previously owned a Tenacious and that's a great one too. Between the two I prefer the Persistence.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I do carry my persistence more. It's my EDC food chore knife.
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

All the more reason to marvel at the quality of this group of knives is that the communication between partners in Golden and China is very evident. There are a lot of talented folks doing a variety of tasks very well to give us a product to marvel at. How many other products make us say: "That is a great product at a great price" Try to think of some,... **** few.

--Jason