Pivot adjustment on a new Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Pivot adjustment on a new Urban

Post by dj moonbat »

I just got my first Spyderco -- the orange Urban. It is clearly a well finished knife -- very sharp, good lines, good grip, good clip.

But. . .the pivot operates very stiffly, making the opening of the knife into a tricky two-step operation. I want to adjust the pivot screw, but when I loosen the torx screw on one side, the screw turns with it on the other side.

Does adjustment normally require two identical torx bits, or has one of the torx fittings broken free from the G-10, such that the fitting is now spinning freely, rather than staying put?
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

I suspect that the Urban operates similarly to the UKPK in that opening is a two stage process. There is a notch about halfway, this is a safety feature designed to prevent the closing blade from guillotining fingers during the closing process.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It's not the double detent system that's causing the problem; it's noticeable stiffness in between the detents. When closing the knife, it's less of a problem; but when opening the knife one-handed with the thumbhole, it's quite laborious.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome to the forum dj.

I just got my new foliage green Urban last week. I've read that the closing force is designed to be about 20 pounds. Mine feels a lot stiffer than the slip-it folders of my youth, but I believe it was designed that way. It also has 2 detents. A safety feature to prevent accidental closing on a finger.

I don't have a problem opening mine one handed. It did take a little getting used to the extra force required. If you could define "stiff" a little more it might help. The Urban is also my first non-locking folder from Spyderco. You shouldn't have to adjust it straight out of the box. It requires quite a bit more force to open and close than what I was used to in the past with my non Spydie slip-its.

If any others out there know better, they no doubt will correct me. But I'm pretty sure I'm on the mark. The locking blades require a lot less force to open.

I love my Urban and carry it every day for now. Enjoy your Spydies and hide your wallet :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

My orange Urban has become less stiff with a little bit of exercise and a drop of mineral oil.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I love my Urban and carry it every day for now. Enjoy your Spydies and hide your wallet
Yeah, they've definitely got a recipe for appealing to folks who appreciate good gear. This is so clearly superior in construction to all the other pocketknives I've owned.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Yes they do. If you want smooth opening, handle a Poliwog. It's a trip!! :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

OK, a couple drops of oil, a hundred or so open/close cycles, and this knife is now properly broken in: opening and closing are crisp and positive, but now easily accomplished in one arc of the thumb.

What an upgrade over my previous EDC. I guess that one just became my letter opener.