What is the feeling on alternate brands for EDC?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Donut wrote:By other brands, do you mean Byrd? :p
teehee :p
i like
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

defenestrate wrote:Sequimite,
That JYD would be the one with the copper accent between layers of steel, right?
That's the one. I like the look of the blade. The Carson flipper is fun, and I don't worry about wrecking the knife since it's cheap.

I had some Kershaws before I discovered Spyderco.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

I have a Rat Izula on the way and I'm **** sure I am going to love it :)
War is mostly waiting.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

my signature says it all
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

I have a Kershaw Skyline that I carry once in a great while. But other than that, it's all Spydies.
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian 550HG for my larger EDC/tactical folder because I don't like the handle of the Endura and Spyderco doesn't offer a trainer for my Tenacious. I have a Mini-Griptialian but prefer the feel of the Delica for a small EDC so I'll be getting one of those soon to pair with my Delica trainer.
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

as far as "tactical" knives go i stick with spyderco. if i feel like carrying a slipjoint though i usually go for a more traditional Case. used to carry Al Mar a lot and love their knives F+F is def. on par with spyderco but i just cant get used to thumb studs after getting stuck on the spyder hole!
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I carry a HAK offsides, for last ditch usage, and the Caly3 for regular usage. Sometimes swap out the HAK for a Cantrell Custom I had done as a ringed hawkbill.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The only knives I carry other than Spyderco's for EDC, are as follows...

-RAT Cutlery Izula
-Victorinox Farmer or Climber
-Case Medium Stockman in Jade green from 1999

Most days it's a Tom Krein Regrind Delica 4 at work (or a Vic Farmer) and then a G10 FFG Endura 4 when I get home.

;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The only knife I EDC regularly that's not a Spyderco is a full sized Griptilian. I do have a SAK in my bag just in case but it doesn't see much use. I like this grip so much that it almost pisses me off that it's not a Spyderco. :)

The handles are just a bit thick but I've gotten used to it and they are a bit hollow feeling but that is the obly negative thing I can say about this knife. It's really a must have IMO.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Woz

Post by Woz »

I carry SOG, Benchmade, Victorinox and Fällkniven too. While Spydercos are the main part of my collection and I really carry at least one Spyderco almost every day I do not intend to stop buying and carrying other knives I like.
And, to be honest: While I really think Spydercos are the most innovative and interesting knives out there, I have to admit that some other manufacturers have features I´d love to see on a Spydie. Arc-Lock and Axis Lock for example are imho WAY better than the Ball-bearing lock. An ARC Lock Sage would be the EDC of my dreams...
JaM

Post by JaM »

I have almost always a SAK somewhere on me, or in my backpack/bag.
Either a climber or a huntsman (climber + saw).

Tried the CLB "biscuits" but they just werent for me I suppose. I sold or traded them. Sorry Chad ! :o

If I dont have a Spyder with me, it's probably an EKA knife. Or a FB mora or SOG Seal-pup. But if I have a FB on me I'm probably camping or cleaning fish :D

So: always a spyderco knife and a Victorinox. I feel I'm well covered that way...
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

started EDCing the small Böker Exskelibur recently, just under 3 in. blade length, 440C, a german-legal liner lock, nice little knife, quite well made, good value for money, Ti liner and clip, black G-10. my spydies :spyder: were much sharper out of the box, though, no surprise.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

My Buck 110 Folding Hunter was my first large locking folder and remains a favorite EDC in addition to my :spyder: s.

And, I don't leave home without a Leatherman of some type. The Leatherman Super Tool 200 has it's very own place of honor on my belt, and it's always accompanied by the Leatherman Crunch and Leatherman Tool Adapter. I take along a Leatherman Skeletool as backup.

Throw in a Leatherman Micra, Slip N Snip scissors, Imperial Boy Scouts pocket knife, and a Boker Stockman, and my :spyder: s are in very good company. :)

I'll also occasionally add a folder from Strider, Chris Reeves, Emerson, or Boker, all of which take their turn in rotation.

Bottomline... alternate brands of EDCs are excellent compliments and partners to my :spyder: s. :)

Have not tried the CRKT M16.
Woz

Post by Woz »

You carry both, a Crunch and a ST200 at the same time? Plus Skeletool? Dude, you must have a belt made of steel! ;)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Woz wrote:You carry both, a Crunch and a ST200 at the same time? Plus Skeletool? Dude, you must have a belt made of steel! ;)
What can I say... I'm in the military... I'm here to serve. :)