Talk to me about the Catbyrd.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DMgangl

Talk to me about the Catbyrd.

Post by DMgangl »

Since my knife budget is pretty much nothing I have started looking at the Byrds again. I have been very pleased with my G10 PE Meadowlark. I am looking at 2 Byrd models to get in the near future. I am already sold on the Byrd Wings. I really like the size, open construction, finger choils, and it comes with a pouch.

The one I am not so sure about is the Catbyrd. The only review I have found is on youtube and the guy said the lock was very hard to get to. I don't know if it was just his model, or if its the design. Looking at the knife the FFG blade looks nice and it has a finger choil. If it had a G10 slab on one side instead of grip tape I would be happy, but this will be a work knife anyway so I don't care if the handle gets scratched.

So does any one have any experience with this knife?

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The bar is hard to disengage because of a strong spring and the sharp edge which digs into your thumb. When the blade is open it's also uncomfortable to grip because the lockbar sticks out further than the other scale.
I would not recommend this knife. I handled a few of them and they were all similar. Also despite the flat grind, the edge is quite thick.
A good, cheap frame lock that I've owned and used is the Kershaw Storm II.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I guess I will just get both Wings models instead. Thanks for the info.

DM
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Have you tried the crossbill as a large folder? In g10 it's very impressive for the price!
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Had both the SS and G10 models. I love hawkbills, and initially I liked the handle but just something about it I didn't like. I ended up selling them. I know the Byrd models are very well built, but the only models that strike my interest are the Wings and for a moment the the Catbyrd. Maybe Ill pick up a Persistence or Tenacious.

DM
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I just got a Tenacious and it's very impressive. Got to be one of the best bargains out there.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have a Catbyrd and the only issue I have with it is weight. Its a lunker of a knife, would like to replace the top scale with G-10. The grip tape seems to be more resilient than I thought it would be. Otherwise its fine, good ergos for me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal