Hockey

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Noble

Hockey

Post by Noble »

As a very recent new addition to hockey fandom (this will be my second season of sporadic watching), I am wondering if any of you vets to the game know why we get so little coverage and advertising of this awesome sport.
None of my friends watch it, even though I try to get them to, and none of my co-workers wanna watch it either. What gives???? Its a truly entertaining sport IMO, and I think it deserves more exposure than it gets. :mad: Its bad enough that I have to feel like an Alien for bieng one of the only people on this Island that watches hockey, but geez, at least gimme more games to watch on TV Mr. Cable Programmer, and lastly a prayer,

Dear God; Please make my friends WATCH HOCKEY!

/end rant
//go Caps!!!!
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Try living up here.

every weekend we've got 1/2 the channels dedicated to any given sport.

between hockey, football and golf we've got too much on.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Noble

Post by Noble »

vampyrewolf wrote:Try living up here.

every weekend we've got 1/2 the channels dedicated to any given sport.

between hockey, football and golf we've got too much on.
Yeah, that could be annoying. But if I was there, I would be happy to be around hockey culture, because Im really enjoying the sport. Maybe we can trade houses for a while.

Cheers Vamp,

Donovan.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

How's all winter sound? I'm sure I can find work.

Electronics Technician
Quality Analyst
IT (without any certificates though)

I'll come down on the first heavy snowfall, and come back when hockey season is done.
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Noble

Post by Noble »

vampyrewolf wrote:How's all winter sound? I'm sure I can find work.

Electronics Technician
Quality Analyst
IT (without any certificates though)

I'll come down on the first heavy snowfall, and come back when hockey season is done.
Just point me to your nearest shipyard and I'll find work too :D

NDT Level II
Ultrasound Technician
Commercial Air Diver

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Saskatchewan... shipyard? When's the last time you looked at a map? :confused: :p
Tank

Post by Tank »

Its pretty popular here in norcal. Even our local rock music station stop playing music to cover all the games when they play.... go Sharks!!!
-John
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I'll be out back on the ice in a week or so, as some day surgery is keeping me on the sidelines. It's a great way to keep in shape, act like a kid and get out with buddies for a bit. My job has a couple teams in different leagues and we also play morning hockey 3x/week, so there's always enough hockey! Go Habs!!!
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

Hockey....

Ahem....

GO HABS!

:D
may it not be tricksy
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Here, in Montreal, with the Canadians, it's been a religion for the past 60 years or so. I don't appreciate it much, but let tell you I feel like you every day of my life, except on the reverse side... As I don't like to watch it, I have to explain myself why.

And as a teacher, I loose a lot of respect :rolleyes: because of it....

Some kids here learn to skate and play hockey before walking and talking... During the season, everyday, 1/3 of the newspaper are about the game that happened the night before... They are now talking about getting a secong team in Quebec city, wich is only 2 hour drive from Montreal..... And that is just the major league....

A couple of years ago, players were on strike.... Well, people are so crazy about the sports, the newspaper and sports networks were mad about the Junior leagues....

But if Vampyrewolf town can't make you an offer about work, we have an international airport (YUL) and the biggest port in north america after NY!!!

Oh, and our house had just been redone all over in the past 3 years...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I was once chased by an angry mob wielding pitchforks and torches for saying I was getting bored of watching hockey. :rolleyes:
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I don't follow hockey in the least, or any sports really except I watch MMA fights occasionally. I actually didn't mind it when the players were on strike, I didn't have to listen to people talk about the playoffs non-stop when I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Noble

Post by Noble »

vampyrewolf wrote:Saskatchewan... shipyard? When's the last time you looked at a map? :confused: :p
I keeed!

Go CAPS!!!!!!

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Of the biggest professional sports: football, baseball, basketball and hockey; hockey suffers the most from watching it on TV versus being at the game in person.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Noble

Post by Noble »

Sequimite wrote:Of the biggest professional sports: football, baseball, basketball and hockey; hockey suffers the most from watching it on TV versus being at the game in person.
I might be going to new york in Nov. for a Certification Semminar, I gotta hook up with someone who can take me to a GAME!!!!

*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

Hockey doesn't get as much coverage in the US because it isn't as popular. It is struggling with the other mainstream sport leagues (NFL,NBA,MLB) **** even College basketball is more popular than the NHL in most states. I think Hockey / NHL was ranked 5th or even lower in the top 10 most popular sports to watch.

It also doesn't help when you have a snot nosed little troll trying to push the game into markets where it is born to fail, and refusing to allow expansion or movement of teams into markets which are ready and willing to support teams.

Your best best to watch hockey might be to find websites that are streaming games.
Noble

Post by Noble »

Thank you Cho. Are those sites free, or do you know of any free ones?

Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

I think you can watch them on NHL's official site, actually. (http://www.nhl.com/) then under the video tab, it should say Live Game Feed. That's how I usually watch the Habs win when I'm away from a television. :D
may it not be tricksy
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

psimonl wrote:Here, in Montreal, with the Canadians, it's been a religion for the past 60 years or so.
Simon

last year was 100 birthdate of the BEST hockey team of the world... Montreal Canadien go habs go! {forget the stanley cup this years...} :cool:
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

Take in some minor league "Hometown Hockey" while jonesing on that NHL stuff! There's more believeable dust-ups and action with cool down home flavor in the AHL, ECHL, UHL, SPHL, and CHL.

[CENTER]Go Brahmas[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Slap a biscuit in the five-hole!!!

j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder: