Bonehead gets himself a Spyder bite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

Just a fact of life my bothers...You're gonna get cut with your own blade at some point! :eek:
...oh you know why!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

my bed is low to the ground. about 6 months ago i jumped/laid down jumped whatever you can call it and my new ladybug was open cuz i was cleaning grease off it and forgot and went to lunch and i was like two inches away from a circumcision/second *******. i know that is crude sounding but very serious. you know when you plop down with your feet out on a couch or bed... imagine doing so with a ladybug open smiling at you.
demtek said it best: you play with fire.....
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

yablanowitz wrote:Have you spent your entire life swaddled in bubble wrap? My worst cuts have come from other things than knives. Life has a lot of sharp edges and rough surfaces.

Of course I haven't. I've had cuts and scrapes and bruises. Been fortunate to have never broken a bone, though, and never been cut bad enough to need stitches.

I just believe that a record of safety does not come about by chance. It comes about because of a deliberate, conscientious adherence to safe practices. This is true whether we're talking about a person handling a knife, driving a car, flying a plane, skydiving, driving a boat, riding a bicycle... It's easy to understand that applying common sense and responsible use in these activities can go a long way to keep a person from having problems.

One thing I do is stop myself periodically and ask myself what could go wrong with the way I'm doing something. Ever cut yourself because you did not decide to put down your knife while you were trying to handle or manipulate something else? When I find myself about to do that, I stop, put the knife down, and then continue. It's stuff like that. I'm no superman--I just know how much I don't wanna get cut, and I do stuff to ensure that I don't. It doesn't stop me from handling and admiring my knives, it just means that there are certain things I won't do with them.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I got cut the exact same way recently - hope you heal up quickly, Alberta bro. :o

- best wishes, Jazz.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Don't worry this things happen frequently. Two days a go, a friend of mine comes with two Delica(s) for sharpening. So I take my 204 and in a few minutes I put the regular (shaving) edge. During the process, I was explaining to my friend that no, the knife won't mind if you drop some oil on it now and then, no sir. Which taught me (once again) that gesturing with the knives half opened is not a brilliant idea (despite the fact that the blade only barely touched my hand). But the scar is almost gone, it will be just a tiny mark by weekend...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm of the school of thought that very sharp knives heal faster than dull, or worse yet, serrated blades. Those get painfull.

I know this is pure imagination but VG10 seems to hurt more than CPM S30V steel. I'm talking plain edge for both, of course. :o
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
spinynorman

Today I Joined the Club

Post by spinynorman »

Well, as Forest Gump said, stupid is as stupid does. So today I was playing around with my new LH Millie, and my E4, comparing the two in and out of pocket, opening and closing, la-di-da, when I closed the Millie on my left middle fingertip, and **** near cut the pad off. :eek: The knife is still shaving sharp from the factory, and I couldn't believe that I did it, but there it is, my first bad Spyderbite! Luckily these types of cuts do heal quickly.
What did I relearn today? A sharp knife is still safer than a dull knife, but a Spyderco, or any knife, is not a toy!!

Doug
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I've had Spydercos since 1995. I've been bitten twice in 14 years.

1. Christmas morning, 1997 I am using my Walker Lighweight C37 to cut some bubble wrap off a present. That thin sharp blade went right through that bubble wrap like a hot knife through butter and "sliced the dickens" out of my thumb. That Christmas will go down in history as "The Bloodbath at Mother-in-Law's house on Christmas Day"

2. Two weeks ago I just got the long, long awaited Dragonfly G-10. Maybe it's the small size, but I somehow got a little bit careless while closing it and the tip somehow poked my palm. This was merely a drop of blood, but my three small children were so concerned for dear ol' Dad you'd think I cut my hand off. :D
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

If there is one truth in this forum, it is "A Spydie isn't yours until it bites you" :)

I recently got a new E4 from New Graham Knives and they sent along band-aids with it. The dispenser accurately states "You're Gonna Need 'em!"

Regards,
Ira

D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Noble

Post by Noble »

iwolf81 wrote:if there is one truth in this forum, it is "a spydie isn't yours until it bites you" :)

i recently got a new e4 from new graham knives and they sent along band-aids with it. The dispenser accurately states "you're gonna need 'em!"

regards,
ira

that. Is. Awesome!
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I've had a few tiny bites, but 3 that stand out:

1. My first time with a Spyderfly (this was well before the legality issues, and not my knife, for those who are curious), I was inspired to try an aerial move that I had some success with on cheaper, less sharp butterflies. Nicked an artery in my hand. Messy, but once I kept pressure on it for a few minutes, it was fine.

2. Opening one of those evil clamshell packages with my Scorpius earlier this year - went right through the package and about an inch into my right thigh. Got quite the scar from that one.

3. Just a couple of days after getting my new SE H1 Spyderhawk - I did something I've done thousands of times with other blades - depress the backlock and let gravity drop the blade. I'm guessing the weight of the blade tends to make it swing a little more than the others I have, or maybe I flicked my wrist a tiny bit to move it. In any case, it swung closed on my index finger, went down to the bone. It has healed up nicely (a hearty recommendation for the stop-the-bleeding-then-superglue method - it would have been hard to try to stitch the area up and anyway I'd rather tend to my own wounds if possible), hardly even visible unless you're looking for it, but when I flex the finger, you can see a little white line go most of the way across the most outward knuckle.

I like to think, jeffrey, that most of us here, rather than condoning self-injury, are simply trying to be lighthearted about our little mistakes. I like to consider knife safety as extremely important, but mistakes happen sometimes.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Ouch! Just got bit by my new-to-me Caly 3. I'd just sharpened it shaving sharp last night, and today was trimming some suckers off the base of an apple tree with it. Everything was going well, until I goofed and stuck the tip (think stab wound not slash) deep into the base of my left thumb. The cut is only about 1/4-3/8 " long, but appears about that deep too, straight into the muscle (parallel to it). Ouch! It was washed, and was bled clean, and then bandaged with some antibiotic. Barring any infection it will heal quickly I think.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

yablanowitz wrote:Have you spent your entire life swaddled in bubble wrap? My worst cuts have come from other things than knives. Life has a lot of sharp edges and rough surfaces.
Yup, my worst cuts have been by non knife related objects. My latest, I kid you not, was from pasta........yeah.

I was washing dishes and my hands were wet and kinda raisiny, the next to last thing was a pot that we had cooked pasta in several days before. There was a piece that had dried to the side and apparently was rather sharp. I ended up running my hand across it while washing and the thing sliced me a good 1/8" deep. Ya just never know.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal