The Captain And The Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water Bug

The Captain And The Sharpmaker

Post by Water Bug »

Morning, All,

How do you properly sharpen the edges of the Captain on the Sharpmaker?

I did a search of the forum and did not find any specific "step by step" sharpening procedures for the Captain while using the Sharpmaker. If I missed the thread, would someone please point me in the right direction? If no such thread exists, I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Now, looking at the knife and understanding how some of Spyderco's unique blades are sharpened with the Sharpmaker, I'm guessing that...

- The inward edge is sharpened on the corners (only) of the gray and white stones just as you would with a PE hawkbill blade, and that you'd sharpen from the base to the tip of the edge.

- The outward edge at the tip is sharpened in the traditional manner using the corners then the flats of the gray and white stones, and that you'd sharpen from the bottom to the top of the edge.

- I'm also guessing that you'd sharpen one edge first (perhaps the inward edge) then the other.

Am I close in describing the proper sharpening procedure for the Captain?
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

that's what i'd do

good luck
sam :cool:
Billy

Post by Billy »

I don't own a Captain, but as Sam said, that's exactly the way I envisioned sharpening that beast if I ever did get one.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

We should have all(most of) the sharpmaker questions organized into a sticky, along with a guide for the intermediate user. I have been using the sharpmaker for a few months and I don't have any idea on how to 'communicate' with the burr. Just a suggestion
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Thank you all for your replies! :) What I described seemed to be the logical way to go about sharpening the Captain, but I figured I'd ask to see what others have done before giving it a try. Again, thanks!
kimjune01 wrote:We should have all(most of) the sharpmaker questions organized into a sticky, along with a guide for the intermediate user. I have been using the sharpmaker for a few months and I don't have any idea on how to 'communicate' with the burr. Just a suggestion
That would be cool. What I came up with as a possible means of sharpening the Captain was a result of watching Sal sharpen the hawkbill blade on the DVD that came with the Sharpmaker, reading whatever references I could find in the forum search for sharpening the Captain, as well as based on my own experience in using the Sharpmaker.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Excellent man.....Simpley Spyderific :cool: I'll refer to this thread when my Captain gets dull :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!