A boker SubCom

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Episteme

A boker SubCom

Post by Episteme »

I just received a Boker SubCom folder in Desert Tan FRN, serrated edge. I have to say this is one of the few non-Spyderco knives that I own that I really like. First, it is a little bigger than I had expected it to be. The lock up is solid and the action is smooth. The sand-colored FRN is a nice touch that might appeal even to non-knife folks. The factory edge is surprisingly sharp, and I wouldn't feel underknifed if this were to be my only carry-piece for a day. Does anyone own one of these? I'm thinking about getting another one because the price is so reasonable for such a worthy knife. How does this compare with the Lava?
-Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

SubCom rocks! here's mine next to a Lava and some others:

Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Ablade

Post by Ablade »

I allways have one of the subcom varients in my waist band. A great knife for a great price. Super edge and a stout little back up.
bk1

Post by bk1 »

I have 4 different versions of this knife and love them all. Alway have one or the other in a pocket.
Great knife.
:D
bill
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Mahalo Harry, Ablade, and bk1...continue to enjoy your SF's! ;)

Now...Episteme...congrats on getting the Desert CE SF! I own one of those, ( :rolleyes: ) and it was my beater knife supreme until I decided to put the new Camo SF through it's paces. :p I agree with the color making even more NKP friendly, and just something different to carry in terms of the everyday "black handled" knife.

How does it compare to the Lava?

It doesn't. They are two totally different designs that have only a few things in common: Compact and "big" cutting ability. How do I put this...holding the Lava is like holding one of them match pistols with a custom, curvy, thumb hole grip. Not sure if you know which ones I am talking about, but they are beautiful pistols. :o The SF OTOH, is like grabbing a Glock 26 or 27...nothing fancy, just sheer function. Comparing the two, is like "night and day"... ;)

Also, one is a "bug", the other, a "Biscuit". :p

Enjoy your "DSF"...keep us posted please and God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

Thanks to all those who replied. I find that very few non-spyders can fight their way into my EDC rotation. The Boker SubCom is one of those few. I also have an Al Mar ultralight Falcon on the way: fully serrated, too. Perhaps this one will keep pace with my Spydercos as well. we'll see.
-Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Subcom F Desert Tan CE...is one of my most carried and used Subcoms next to the Wharcom, both are carried daily along with the Fixed Blade Subcom...all are just terrific knives, once used they are hard to leave at home.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

These get rotated daily paired with my Native or Delica.
Attachments
IMG_0242_compressed.jpg
IMG_0242_compressed.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
01dlx

Post by 01dlx »

An outstanding knife , Cant wait to get my hands on a Trance . :D :D :p
potterma

Post by potterma »

SubCom's ROCK! And their Variants.... :D

SubCom, WharCom, ResCom and even the SubCom Fixed Blade :cool:

WARNING..... Shameless plug..... :

See my flicker page for colors NOT available from the Factory Store.... :rolleyes: (see sig for link ;) )
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Gotta luv those SF's, espicially when potterma is finished with them. Congrats on your new found addiction (because Subcom's can be very addictive). Here's a couple of mine.

First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

The Subcoms are truly amazing little knives, with big-knife attitudes!

I really like the look of the Coyote Tan handle on the Desert Subcom! Gotta pick one of those up in the future.

The Subcom is such a strong knife, too; that frame-lock rocks!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

ghostrider wrote:Gotta luv those SF's, espicially when potterma is finished with them. Congrats on your new found addiction (because Subcom's can be very addictive). Here's a couple of mine.

Very nice Biscuits Ghostrider! :cool:
Congrats on the Subcom F Mike, I have more than a few... ;) :cool:

let's not forget to give the Trance some love too.... :D
thanx for the great designs Daywalker! :cool:
Desert Ironwood and Black Carbonfiber scale by Potterma... :cool:
Special guest appearance by the Flatbyrd... :eek: :)
Attachments
flatbyrd 006.jpg
flatbyrd 006.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
flatbyrd 005.jpg
flatbyrd 005.jpg (84.42 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
flatbyrd 003.jpg
flatbyrd 003.jpg (75.2 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Subcoms are a marvel of design. That Chad is just talented indeed! I keep getting them and giving them. They are just practical and efficent blades. I have to get me one of those Lava's soon.........more than enough knife to get it done if the user does their part! ;) Take care all and God Bless!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

[quote="potterma"]SubCom's ROCK! And their Variants.... :D

SubCom, WharCom, ResCom and even the SubCom Fixed Blade :cool:

WARNING..... Shameless plug..... :

See my flicker page for colors NOT available from the Factory Store.... :rolleyes: (see sig for link ]

Thanks for the Flicker page link Potterma...to see all your mods was real eye candy...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Post by 224477 »

Enjoy your SubCom, I got mine in my pocket right now. :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

It's the only Non Spydie and combo edge I'm willing(and do ;) ) carry.

Thanks again Chad :cool: :cool:

Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
DRod

Post by DRod »

Crap... now I wanna subcom...

:)

Whar or desert.. hmm.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
JaM

Post by JaM »

I'm using my wharcom more and more. Perfect combination for eating cardboard boxes and being NKP-friendly. :) Big thumbs up !
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

THE_INCREDIBLE_ wrote:Crap... now I wanna subcom...

:)

Whar or desert.. hmm.
I'm thinking about the same thing...

Except I keep looking at the digital camo one