New knife high: ZDP Delica!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: beautiful, wish we all could get one :o , wish they were available from NGK. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Thanks for the great pics, and for sharing your thoughts with us, Wouter. As much as I love ZDP 189, I just can't bring myself to get the Delica., this models just feels uncomfortable to me :o :rolleyes:
Ms. Delica

Pink, please

Post by Ms. Delica »

:) :) It would look great in pink! :) :) :) :D

Ms. Delica
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congrats on your new fine knife Wouter. Enjoy it.
And thanks for sharing those great pics, finally some that do justice to that awsome knife :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Jurphaas

ZDP Delica Rocks!

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Wouter - You're all right in your observations concerning the San Mai (laminated) ZDP of the Cally jr. The Hitachi ZDP steels are so very hard that many makers can not handle the full ZDP and started working with the next best thing, being the San Mai option. To keep things economically feasable, they use 420C as the outher wrap.
Remember also, that because of the difficult nature of the ZDP, only a 1" (strip) core is used. The laminated steel has no "full" core.

Since 3 days I too carry the Full ZDP Delica. I started yesterday to use it as a paring knife during food preparation. This knife cuts like a dream and it will see much more use in the kitchen as any other Spydie folder has ever seen.

I am truly amazed by the ZDP steel. This is a true WINNER! :)
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the WONDERFUL pics Wouter, as I can see, the clip is on the "right" side, that means left handed :D ;)
That seems to be the pretiest blue FRN spyderco ever.

Any user experencies on that one already?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Jurphaas :eek:
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can unearth one of the Delica ZDPs? I preordered one a couple months ago, but it's beginning to look unlikely that it will ever get to me. I'm jealous of all you who are already playing with this beauty!
Roger
Manix Guy 2

Enjoy !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Great pictures , glad to hear you will be using the knife instead of tucking it away . I am still chasing the little Delica , hoping to find one , have my fingers crossed . Looked at E Bay today and wanted to throw up saw one going at 224. 00 with days to go . Happy collecting and hunting everyone !
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Think I'm sorted. I've heard back from Trading Post Supply and apparently i'm still getting mine! (They've been really good with correspondence by the way, much appreciated.) Might have a couple more on the way now too as I was internet shopping instead of working, but it's really hard to tell if people actually have them in stock or not (I'm thinking no). The ebay price is insane, made my jaw drop! I'd like to get two, a keeper and a user, but if I only get one it's definitely being used!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Nice shots Blonde. The "no line" is much less distracting on the blade.
startat2

Post by startat2 »

Jurphaas wrote: The Hitachi ZDP steels are so very hard that many makers can not handle the full ZDP and started working with the next best thing, being the San Mai option. To keep things economically feasable, they use 420C as the outher wrap.
It does make it cheaper, but with a blade so hard and brittle it also helps to have some 'supportive flex' that the 420 outter layering helps provide. Same with Cold Steels San Mai 3 steel, and even to a point the old japanese swords (2 steels mixed and folded man times as well as 2 different hardnesses on the blade, known as 'differential tempering') Just my .02
Still waiting for the ZDP Delica...
ront

Post by ront »

Excellent pictures wouter!! Thanks for posting them. I sure ho[e that I am able to come up with one of these knives. I really want one!!

Ron
rs2

Post by rs2 »

Great photos Wouter; Thank you!

I just got word that mine is being put on a brown truck today.

ehem, try Knife Center. ;)
Ron
aka RSS1911
Cameron23

Post by Cameron23 »

[quote="rs2"]Great photos Wouter]

Ditto. :D
C :spyder:
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
-Abraham Lincoln,
Patriot

Post by Patriot »

I called Knife Center about 4.5 hours ago :( They said they sold like 40 this morning and were out of stock (but still taking backorders).
-Patriot

"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone." -- Frederic Bastiat
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Grooooaaaannnn!!!! Thanks for the torture (great pics!) Wouter! :p Can't wait for these babies to become available to the non-collector Spyder addict! :eek:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

well i just got my two, i threw my hat into the ebay ring to see what happens, maybe i'll get lucky and it will pay for the gold kopa i am waiting to get. i took a few pics that i thought were funny. enjoy
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Oh, man. As a buddhist, this knife is a great hinderance to my sence of non-attachment. :o I sure would like to find one. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

originally posted by Startat2
It does make it cheaper, but with a blade so hard and brittle it also helps to have some 'supportive flex' that the 420 outter layering helps provide.

I have to respectfully dissagre, this is what Sal had to say on Bladeforums about the brittleness
The question of "brittleness" of ZDP was born in the forums. There is no real experience that indicates brittleness. Certainly there was no indication in our testing.

Bruceter